Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Problem description: I purchased a new 3TB WD Blue drive last week. I shut down my PC, installed it, now BIOS is saying no boot drive is detected.

Attempted fixes: I tried unplugging the new drive and booting, same results. I tried using a Ubuntu live USB drive, it says all three of my old drives cannot be mounted because they were hibernated in Windows. I did not hibernate... Possible I had fastboot turned on though? Which I think can cause that?

Recent changes: Added a new 3TB WD Blue drive. Changed the SATA ports of my two storage HDDs, but not the boot SSD. Not sure what ports they were in originally.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Homebuilt i7-970 based machine. Intel DX58SO mobo. Corsair 650W PSU. 3x2GB GSkill 1600 DDR3. Geforce 450 or something (I don't recall). Intel G2 160GB SSD (boot drive). WD 3TB Green. WD 1TB Black.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Will it boot if you just have the boot SSD plugged in?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm betting one of the "storage" drives is actually your boot drive. Windows will place the boot files on the first drive it detects, even if that isn't the drive you're installing Windows to. This is why it's important that the system drive be the only drive connected when you install Windows. At this point I'd try reconnecting the drives to the original ports to see if that helps, even if it takes a bit of trial-and-error.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Zogo posted:

Will it boot if you just have the boot SSD plugged in?

It would not.

Alereon posted:

I'm betting one of the "storage" drives is actually your boot drive. Windows will place the boot files on the first drive it detects, even if that isn't the drive you're installing Windows to. This is why it's important that the system drive be the only drive connected when you install Windows. At this point I'd try reconnecting the drives to the original ports to see if that helps, even if it takes a bit of trial-and-error.

I've saw that when looking into this the last few days, how Windows can boot from a drive it's not installed to. I tried several different SATA positions and nothing seemed to change.

Stroke of luck though, first new SATA position I tried after deciding to hunker down and do this for an hour or so worked. So that's neat.

Now that I can get into Disk Management, it does look like my 1TB drive is the system drive. What in the actual gently caress.

Problem solved though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, when you install windows, you want ONLY 1 drive connected, whatever drive you are planning on being your boot drive. What will happen is that if you have multiple drives connected, windows will install on whatever drive you select, but it will also put critical files (I think the MBR, maybe some other stuff) on your secondary drive(s)

*edit* looks like Alereon already said this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

ddogflex posted:

What in the actual gently caress.

I noticed that the first review for the motherboard was in 2008 and the first 3TB drive wasn't until 2010. Maybe that's related? If you have more problems later maybe a BIOS update could help.

• Locked thread