Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk it's in whatever Spotify streams in which is probably actually ogg so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

idk it's in whatever Spotify streams in which is probably actually ogg so lol

a capture on the web client reveals mp3, but then that may be allowances for flash

the full client at least used to be all-vorbis

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the kindle keyboard was the best to hold and turn pages with
the paperwhite has the best screen
the other ones are stupid expensive gimmicks

i want a goddamn solar powered paperwhite with page turn buttons

bezos

plzos

The new Kindle Oasis, with physical page turn buttons, is rumoured to be getting an official solar charging case

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

happy kobo n-905 owner checking in, batteries last basically forever and it's pretty responsive to the touch. its goodness is still probably not a reason for most people to not buy a kindle

sorry about your old dud model

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

The new Kindle Oasis, with physical page turn buttons, is rumoured to be getting an official solar charging case

now all they have to do is make it $90 and not require some stupid case

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

now all they have to do is make it $90 and not require some stupid case

it looks very comfy to use one handed. without the case it should last a solid 7 hours, just stick the case back on when you arent using it and it will be charged up. It magnetically snaps on and off really easy, unlike most cases

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

it only has page turn buttons on one side though...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't understand why they can't make a cheap one with buttons anymore like they used to. I don't care about touchscreens or backlights or any of that rubbish

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they do, it's called the Kindle

e: oh wait gently caress that one has a touchscreen too! goddammit bezos

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

it looks very comfy to use one handed. without the case it should last a solid 7 hours, just stick the case back on when you arent using it and it will be charged up. It magnetically snaps on and off really easy, unlike most cases

sounds bad and way too expensive

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pointsofdata posted:

it only has page turn buttons on one side though...

flip it 180 degrees if you're holding it with the other hand, dummy

Also: I'm the $289.99 ebook reader

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

lol no, and in fact you can email pdfs to your kindle and they're automatically converted and made accessible

that's pretty neat, but now Amazon knows I looked at a bunch of FOIA requests about 9/11 and the saudis and probably is sharing that with the government.

and they made a closed system where the only person who benefits seems to be them. is there a security argument to be made about not allowing PDFs, ePubs or CBZs on an e-reader? even apple allows some of those formats.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

I don't understand why they can't make a cheap one with buttons anymore like they used to. I don't care about touchscreens or backlights or any of that rubbish

The 4th gen non touch was mega ownage

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

that's pretty neat, but now Amazon knows I looked at a bunch of FOIA requests about 9/11 and the saudis and probably is sharing that with the government.

and they made a closed system where the only person who benefits seems to be them. is there a security argument to be made about not allowing PDFs, ePubs or CBZs on an e-reader? even apple allows some of those formats.

I just all my books in calibre, epub and all, and it just works on my kindle. Don't think it's auto converting them before transfer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PleasureKevin posted:

I'm sure this knowledge brings the Federals a lot of pleasure, Kevin

hint: you can use usb to put pdfs and AZWs and mobis on a kindle and calibre to convert other poo poo to AZW or whatever the gently caress you want

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PleasureKevin posted:

Hey Kevin:

angry_keebler posted:

i am also too dumb to spend 60 bucks on a kindle let's start a club called the bigtime chowderheads club

you can be president

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Calibre looks bad to me

also i don't like ads

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

like so many java apps, it's pretty bad but it gets the job done (and a lot of other jobs which idk why anyone would want to do those things)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I bought an Oasis and enjoy it. Suck it, poors.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
posting from my kobo arc or something i forget what is called. gonna go read now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i do my reading on nexus 7 :troll: but its true

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

flip it 180 degrees if you're holding it with the other hand, dummy

wow that's bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

Calibre looks bad to me

also i don't like ads

calibre is both similar and dissimimlar to itunes

similar : it manages media

dissimilar : everything it does is obvious and easy and works

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the kindle oasis looks cool but i dunno if it's more than twice as cool as a paperwhite

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

PleasureKevin posted:

also gently caress Amazon

what did they do to you other than keep the Washington Post alive.

for less money than the purchase of the vital piece of tech: whatsapp or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

the kindle oasis looks cool but i dunno if it's more than twice as cool as a paperwhite

mate that off centre of gravity thing looks epic as gently caress tho

• Locked thread