Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yemala
Dec 24, 2013

Grumpiest of goats
Problem description:
I've been having this issue sporadically for a while now, and tried a pile of fixes. Basically, with a pile of different games (Path of exile, shogun 2, Europa Universalis... mix of high-stress and low-stress games) I have had video driver crashes that never recover (event viewer has said they recovered, but screen remained black until I hard reset).

Attempted fixes:
I recently updated my BIOS, did a driver clean/reinstall, and similar, and now event viewer shows the error in the thread title - "application shogun2.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware".

I have monitored heat, and as far as I can tell there are no heat issues. I have a relatively new, brand-name power supply with wattage in excess of what I should need. I have run memtest, prime95, and furmark to stress test things, and not had any failures or errors.

I have increased the TDR timeout to try to resolve this to no effect.

Recent changes:
The only change made to the system would be the video card and power supply, added at the same time. Previously, I had occasional video driver crashes, but they always recovered themselves. ATI drivers previously as well.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 x64

System specs:
I am running Windows 10 x64, i3-2120, 8gb ram, Radeon R9 380, on an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard.
dxdiag is here : http://pastebin.com/grqM4yMe
eventviewer eventID for this error is 4109

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes.

Thank you for any help or ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried using DDU and then installing the latest video drivers? http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-

So you are on the latest motherboard BIOS?

What PSU exactly?

Yemala
Dec 24, 2013

Grumpiest of goats
Yes, I have used DDU and then installed the latest drivers.

I am on the latest motherboard BIOS.

The PSU is an XFX Core System Builder 550w

--

I seem to have solved this (maybe? hopefully?) by re-running DDU and then letting windows install the WHQL certified drivers instead of the latest. No crashes since, but since this is so sporadic, hard to tell if that is a fix or just luck.

Thank you for the ideas.

• Locked thread