Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

Give back right of way to passenger trains. I was shocked that in England you can take a train to a location as fast as you could drive there. In the US it literally takes three times as long. Charlotte to Chicago takes over 30 hours by train.

But if it's equally as fsst why not drive so that you have a car when you get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Don't want to put 1500 miles on my car and my employer will pay for a rental car. e: and I don't want to drive all day twice, but I will if it means not going through airport security.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Our embarrassing lack of rail transport up to current standards is a separate issue pls make another thread this is the Airlines/Flying Sucks Thread thank you

Cartouche posted:

I remember back in the 70s when people used to bathe, dress up for flights, and planes actually made an attempt at making passengers comfortable.

I am too young to remember a time when airplanes were not flying Greyhound buses

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

But if it's equally as fsst why not drive so that you have a car when you get there

Why not just relax on a train and get some sleep or watch something on your tablet or get some work done? Driving sucks.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

notZaar posted:

Why not just relax on a train and get some sleep or watch something on your tablet or get some work done? Driving sucks.

In many cases the trains are slower than driving. Twice as slow in some cases. My brother went from Boston to Cleveland via Amtrak and a trip that takes about 9.5 hours by car took 18 hours and he arrived in the middle of the night. It wasn't even a bargain since the train ticket was only $20 or $30 cheaper than a budget airline.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was flying from LAX in April and the security line was so long it actually went down the terminal, out the doors, and then back down the sidewalk.

Nothing says security like 100s of people standing 2 inches from the curb of one of the busiest airports.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

notZaar posted:

then how do you expect to get aroudn once you get to your destination? just take a taxi everywhere?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Train trips in the US are as expensive as flying and take forever. I've been wanting to take a train trip from Chicago to Seattle, but it's like twice as cheap and take days less to just fly there.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

then how do you expect to get aroudn once you get to your destination? just take a taxi everywhere?

Same as if you fly.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

walgreenslatino posted:

Sure let me just pay $86 so I can somehow drive an hour to the TSA facility during business hours on a weekday, so that the most brutally incompetent federal agency can hold all my biometric data in perpetuity, in order to facilitate that agency doing the job they were supposed to do in the first place, and for which they are already compensated by the federal budget and ticket surcharges.

You know they fingerprint you and all that when you cross the border anyway right? If you've ever traveled outside the country there's like a 99% chance they already have all your biometric data.

Jenny Agutter posted:

southwest is good

Haha nah.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

In many cases the trains are slower than driving. Twice as slow in some cases. My brother went from Boston to Cleveland via Amtrak and a trip that takes about 9.5 hours by car took 18 hours and he arrived in the middle of the night. It wasn't even a bargain since the train ticket was only $20 or $30 cheaper than a budget airline.

Yeah trains are slow, we were fantasizing about a fast rail system that would be a viable alternative to flying.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
A big vacuum tube system like banks have.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

lol here lemme take a loving train for 10000 hours and eat lovely sandos. hold on let me get my top hat and pocket watch

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if u think train travel on the current rail system is feasible then you have either never visited the vast expanse that is the US or youre legitimately retarded

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It would be practical if your destination was on the same coast and if passenger trains didn't have to constantly stop to give freight trains right of way. One of the factors I take into account is how likely I am to get a strangers whole hand up my rear end.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Why travel when you can just hole up in your house and drink your own piss

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ahundredbux posted:

Why travel when you can just hole up in your house and drink your own piss

Your mom wants variety

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I once took a 12 hour train ride in Australia and it was fun and enjoyable.

Also this was about two months before 9/11.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Didn't Obama have plan and a map about making 5 bullet train lines in America that would connect a lot of the major cities.

What the hell happened to that?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Airborne Viking posted:

I once took a 12 hour train ride in Australia and it was fun and enjoyable.

Also this was about two months before 9/11.

No one care

Inzombiac posted:

Didn't Obama have plan and a map about making 5 bullet train lines in America that would connect a lot of the major cities.

No

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Train trips in the US are as expensive as flying and take forever. I've been wanting to take a train trip from Chicago to Seattle, but it's like twice as cheap and take days less to just fly there.

Yeah airplanes pretty much offer a better cheaper service in the US.

Also tend have a worse experience compared to Euro trains.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
you're more likely to get killed in a murder mystery on a train

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

etalian posted:

Yeah airplanes pretty much offer a better cheaper service in the US.

Also tend have a worse experience compared to Euro trains.

Yes. And euro land is tiny

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am too young to remember a time when airplanes were not flying Greyhound buses

Anyone who says this has never actually been on a long-distance bus ride. Airplane people are easily leagues better than bus people. I know a guy who years ago spent a week on busses going from Chicago to northwestern Canada and back to visit his brother. When he got back he had a look about him normally reserved for people returning from war zones and he "didn't want to talk about it".

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
busses can be hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFMZkMdxKlg

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Anyone who says this has never actually been on a long-distance bus ride. Airplane people are easily leagues better than bus people. I know a guy who years ago spent a week on busses going from Chicago to northwestern Canada and back to visit his brother. When he got back he had a look about him normally reserved for people returning from war zones and he "didn't want to talk about it".

Also you typically aren't on a plane long enough for things to get Weird I guess

If I had to sit next to an insane person for like 20 hours that loved to talk I would kill them and then myself

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Dallas > Houston is getting a bullet train but that has been a massive fight because of dumb poo poo farmers and politicians

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A good post. :respek:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Germstore posted:

Give back right of way to passenger trains. I was shocked that in England you can take a train to a location as fast as you could drive there. In the US it literally takes three times as long. Charlotte to Chicago takes over 30 hours by train.

It's pretty simple to have decent public transport when the entire country is a shoebox and concentrated in a few population centers, the effectiveness of trains for quick transport plummets as size gets larger and people more spread about. Outside of short trips (<200 miles) and niche situations planes destroy trains unless your time is completely worthless. Which again is why it tends to work real well in europe where short trips are far more common. Even insane bullet trains would still suck poo poo for trips regularly made in the US like chicago-ny. Top speeds of 300+ mph sound good until you figure in stops and speed regulations-- doubt you could even average 150 and that would still put you at 5 1/4 hours compared to 2. Doesn't seem like much but that's a huge difference for business (which is the where airlines make their money). And with roundtrips for 150 bucks trains sure as gently caress ain't going to be competing on price, rail infrastructure is supppper expensive.

Inzombiac posted:

Those are things that sound great in campaigns but there's really not much demand for most routes they were talking about. Even if something like SF LA would be nice it probably would be even better to just expand the airports since, again, price-wise it would end up being about the same for a longer trip. You'll get the people who will choose anything over flying but that's an insignificant market that no-one is going to base any decisions off of.

There is definite need to create/improve light rail around major cities though.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Do they still nake you take your shoes off to fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

no one actually cares about stopping mass death. airport security is to prevent a plane being used to harm important people and expensive building's

Make private flights have to go through TSA as well, and airport security will get fixed in a hell of a hurry, because a congressman doesn't want some stranger's hand up his rear end if he didn't order that service from the gay prostitute this time

Inzombiac posted:

"Black man" "bullet" "major cities"

WASPs are known for selective hearing. But to be serious, even reasonable improvements to common/middle-class transportation is a political issue, and few congressional representatives fly commercial; and when they do, they book first class on major cities until they can charter a private flight to a municipal or take a loving limo or something.

They might be rich, insulated jerks, but they're not dumb enough to take commercial economy flights.

• Locked thread