Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Problem description: Trying to connect with my Windows 8.1 laptop to a Plex server on my roommate's Windows 7 computer, but can only get 400kb/sec maximum which results in stuttering and buffering every 10 seconds or so. We are both on the same wifi network, and I'm able to >access< his machine just fine (by IP, by windows networking, etc.) but it is always very slow. Pings time out about 50% of the time, and tracert shows only 1 hop, but that hop can easily take anywhere from >120ms to forever. Put another way, I can get over 2mb/sec when downloading the latest Microsoft patch, but barely 200-400 kb/sec when trying to access a machine on the same local subnet. Connection strength is maxed on his computer, and on my laptop (5 bars as it were).

So, easy right? His computer is oversaturated or is refusing connections on Plex. Except that these Plex connections work flawlessly connecting to the same wifi router, during a stress test >all< of them simultaneously watching different 1080p videos:
- XBox One
- PS4
- Android client on my phone (on local wifi, and on external. Yes, my >cellphone<, on an external 3G network, is getting data faster out of the Plex server than my laptop on the same local subnet)

So my theory is that is not a Plex problem, but rather a local networking problem between him and me, especially given how the pings and tracerts are acting.

The router: Actiontec T2200H bridge provided by our ISP
http://www.actiontec.com/316.html

Because of how fast my external speeds are I don't think it's a signal strength problem. Put another way to summarize:
- My external internet speeds (wifi) - Fast
- Other devices on subnet connecting to Roommate (wifi) - Fast
- My laptop connecting to roommate (wifi) - Slow

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
Disable Windows Firewall completely
Disabled Windows Firewall completely on Roommate's server
Logged into Router to make sure there was no crazy QoS/routing table stuff defined, nothing found

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Other than disabling Windows update to prevent auto-Windows 10 enrollment, nothing
--
Operating system: Windows Home 8.1 x64

System specs:
System Manufacturer:Acer
System Product Name:Aspire E5-521-66SN
RAM 8GB
CPU: AMD A6-6310 APU w/ AMD Radeon R4 Graphics 1.8 GHz
Network card info:
Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adaptor

Canada

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes
---
I have no idea here. I even set up an FTP server on my laptop to test incoming connections and then logged into it using my tablet/phone. Throughput on local wifi when connecting to my laptop from external ftp client? Over 1mbit/sec on test files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I despise Atheros adapters, and where possible replace them with Intel ones.

It might be worth attaching the laptop with an ethernet cable to the router and seeing if that resolves it.

Also try the connected at various distances from the router. Does it occur when standing right next to it?

• Locked thread