Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

makers faire
i ream freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Stymie posted:

here's a handy way to prove you're actually a maker and not just a nerd hobbyist:

1) use an arduino to flash an LED

2) ask for help on every single electronics forum you can find

3) try copying and pasting some code from a blog

4) ask for help on every single electronics forum you can find

5) somehow get it working even though you don't understand how

6) put it in an altoids tin

7) write a dozen multi-page blog posts about how "maker culture" is sweeping the world and how people like yourself are the digital prophets of the new millennium

then, and only then, can you be considered a maker

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I just. make babies

People babies or animal babies? I guess farming counts as making too.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is this like a ren faire

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

no, ren faire is cool when youre a kid but this is not

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

GameCube posted:

oh you used an arduino, huh? you want a loving cookie? huh? you want a loving cookie for programming an arduino??? you stupid piece of poo poo. gently caress you.

emoji posted:

code:
so tessel
so servo-pca9685 as thing

port is plz tessel.port with 'A'

servos is plz thing.connect with port

very degrees is 0

such movement
  plz servos.moveServo with 1, degrees& 
  rly degrees is 0
    degrees is 180
  but 
    degrees is 0
  wow
wow

plz setInterval with movement, 500&

http://i.imgur.com/LCxQ15v.gifv

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dildotron motor lookin good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you motherfucker.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

you motherfucker.

agreed. who puts their dock at the side of the screen like that?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fully epic.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

im the grey-haired man buying a grilled cheese because hes an adult and he gets to make the rules now

also hes 45 and still thinking he'll settle down and have kids one day

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I'm the electronic anthropomorphic ferret costume, unironically.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

GameCube posted:

I'm the electronic anthropomorphic ferret costume, unironically.

im the scooter parked outside the steampunk hatter

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

let's be clear: these are not fursuits. they are electronic anthropomorphic animal costumes.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

maniacdevnull posted:

im the grey-haired man buying a grilled cheese because hes an adult and he gets to make the rules now

the line was about 40 people long, and not moving particularly quickly.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

the line was about 40 people long, and not moving particularly quickly.

every loving week at work: "it's Food Truck Day! did you get some Food Truck?" no i did not feel like standing in line for A Freaking Hour for A Freaking Hamburger or A Freaking Pita. God

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

agreed. who puts their dock at the side of the screen like that?

only correct place for dock is right side, as stebe intended

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

GameCube posted:

every loving week at work: "it's Food Truck Day! did you get some Food Truck?" no i did not feel like standing in line for A Freaking Hour for A Freaking Hamburger or A Freaking Pita. God

when my work does a Food Truck Day that means the trucks are paid for so the lines move super quick

also we get the good trucks like Korean-Mexican fusion and artisanal ice cream

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

maniacdevnull posted:

Fried and grilled sandwiches are really good.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Fried and grilled sandwiches are really good.

So it's the complete opposite of 99% of "maker" projects, and that is counting the ones that are 'completed' as in not just a napkin sketch and half complete solderless breadboard project that was 'too hard'.
Also it's kinda like a Pi which explains why the makers vehemently hate the Pi and worship arduino especially when a simple thing would suffice instead and cost less, as the Pi is not too terrible compared for what it professes to be.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

evilcat posted:

So it's the complete opposite of 99% of "maker" projects, and that is counting the ones that are 'completed' as in not just a napkin sketch and half complete solderless breadboard project that was 'too hard'.
Also it's kinda like a Pi which explains why the makers vehemently hate the Pi and worship arduino especially when a simple thing would suffice instead and cost less, as the Pi is not too terrible compared for what it professes to be.

this guy gets it. stupid fuckers not realizing a simpler thing would suffice

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

GameCube posted:

i have a window seat that faces where they park so i just wait until it's quieted down, and even when it's busy its never that bad

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

GameCube posted:

this guy gets it. stupid fuckers not realizing a simpler thing would suffice

i felt like a tool when i was building my model rocket altitude logger and need to upgrade to an atmega328 because the sd card libs didnt fit in 8kb

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

i felt like a tool when i was building my model rocket altitude logger and need to upgrade to an atmega328 because the sd card libs didnt fit in 8kb

you could have written your own sd card code in assembly you dumb bitch! you freaking maker

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Hello Makers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3NYpTiQWUc

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

so, the loser has to live in the lovely broken house these numbskulls build?

fukkin groverhaus the miniseries, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilcat
May 16, 2009

100K will buy the winner a lot of hot glue, plastic gears and metallic spray paint to """improve""" things with.

• Locked thread