Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I'm sure we'll have some better hot take fodder when OW2 launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Wrist Watch posted:

I literally started playing this game originally because Mei looked cool and her kit looked fun. This is a wild statement to make about a game where people only wanting to play a certain character became so prevalent the community has a derogatory nickname for people who do it.

It was a joke. I get that different people like different things. RIP ice demon. I'm not sad the freeze is going away.

Related to the previous discussion, in a world where the game had been free to play but Mei was not unlocked right away would this have kept you from playing?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Don't worry. I am going to drop the hottest takes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm only here cause I can't believe there's actually a person defending the bullshit

Enjoy the game friend

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Barreft posted:

I'm only here cause I can't believe there's actually a person defending the bullshit

Enjoy the game friend

Thanks, you too! I'm trying to look at it objectively rather than just be uncritically furious because Blizzard. If the new account restrictions can help deter or slow down cheating and smurfing while also providing a decent experience for actual new players that's a win in my book.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The new monetization scheme feels soulless, but I am cautiously optimistic about fewer shields/stuns and being less tethered to the performance of your teammates when it comes to playing with pubbies.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 1, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Even if they want to lock heroes (boo!), They're being so presumptuous about giving them on a schedule. Just use an in game currency and let me pick like Apex, Valorant, etc. This goes double for the new heroes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It really feels like a spreadsheet toucher saw that players valued access to heroes very highly, noted most of the new cosmetics are very uninspired, and looked at Player Engagement Metrics in other battlepass games. And ultimately decided that restrictive character unlocks would be what kept people logged into the game for the most hours per week.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They one hundred percent cited player engagement as why they locked them, it's not even a secret.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DrBox posted:

It was a joke. I get that different people like different things. RIP ice demon. I'm not sad the freeze is going away.

Related to the previous discussion, in a world where the game had been free to play but Mei was not unlocked right away would this have kept you from playing?

Oh, my bad.

And yeah, it absolutely would have turned me away from the game. I initially got in to play with friends so I might have still given it a try for a bit, but there's no way I'd have kept playing for 10-15 hours for the chance to see if Mei was as fun as I'd heard.

I've kinda accepted that I'm no longer the target audience for OW2 at this point though. I wasn't particularly interested to begin with but losing freeze was the dealbreaker for me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Turns out that Mei warcrimes was too much of a NPE for the victims:

RIP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't see an option to preload OW2, just OW1 and the OW2 beta (which I still have installed). Is the latter what I need?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Countblanc posted:

I don't see an option to preload OW2, just OW1 and the OW2 beta (which I still have installed). Is the latter what I need?

Uninstall the beta. On OW, select 'check for updates' under the gear icon. It'll say in green text that you've preloaded pre-release content under the play button after the DL finishes.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I would never support this lovely and predatory monetization model, but I also don't really care if I miss some cosmetics. If the designers have incentive to lure in whales with good skins, and regular people can unlock some fun stuff for free, that seems fine. I think anything is fair in the world of cosmetic fluff. I hardly even see the skins in low graphics mode anyway.

I'm not even sure I want the content to go on for ever. I can hardly process all the sprays and icons I have. Eventually skins will be the same way. The amount of heros in LoL is absurd, for example. It eventually makes the game less fun. I'd rather have a perfectly honed game with complex counterplay and every hero has a nearly equal purpose depending on the map or what comp you want to run (and no new heros or maybe 1 a year).

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I mean the new monetization is horrible, but I still I prefer it over lootboxes. Lootboxes was more predatory toward children and gambling addicts. New system is more honest "gently caress you, Pay me", Honest greed without the gacha component.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm sure it will be a good experience being a new player on widowmaker

To be fair, when I was a new player, I really enjoyed playing widowmaker. I was bad at her, but I enjoyed playing her.... Now the other 5 players on my team might not have been too happy about it, but I was having fun :shobon:

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

adhuin posted:

I mean the new monetization is horrible, but I still I prefer it over lootboxes. Lootboxes was more predatory toward children and gambling addicts. New system is more honest "gently caress you, Pay me", Honest greed without the gacha component.

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the FOMO I’d say the new system sucks but would be in every way better than lootboxes for me.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Valentin posted:

for apex caustic and mirage were locked on launch, the other heroes were all free.

if people aren't playing overwatch just because they see a random character and go "that looks cool" that is a different and even worse failure on Blizzard's part

anyways I think it's very funny they went to such lengths to try to preserve their role trinity shooter where everyone has a unique gun then the characters you get at the start are "most straightforward tank, most straightforward healer, basically every DPS character with a normal FPS weapon." what a boring introduction to the game!

e: also I never played when she was implemented but putting echo last when by all accounts she was frustratingly balanced when added is very funny too. Also it seems so obvious that they could easily have just been like "get a free hero token after 1/2/5...150" matches that I really do wonder how they arrived at the order and what it's supposed to do for them

I'm betting the person that made that decision is the exact same person that decided a couple years ago "we're adding hero bans to the game. Oh, we're not letting the players choose who gets banned on a per-match basis. We're just going to arbitrarily lock out random heroes for weeks at a time.... ok, have fun!"

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Dinoflask back after a several year hiatus

https://youtu.be/q7RMtDpxtfw

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Mystery Heroes (and FFA) has been elevated out of Arcade and into Unranked, next to Quick Play.

https://twitter.com/mizliz_/status/1575997273825169408

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/imAVRL/status/1576282782837313541?t=t152mY6f8KN76AOjCcYiuA&s=19

That's an Overwatch League caster lol

this sms verification is daft

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Time Crisis Actor posted:

holy poo poo good loving lord

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Why do these dev videos always have the cadence and energy of an Al Qaeda hostage tape? Riot’s are the same way.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

adhuin posted:

Overwatch 2 thread OP <SNIP>

I've been tuning and editing the new OP for Overwatch some more and it should be near-finished.
Could people give it last looks?

Current plan is to post new thread on late Monday on Euro-time, so mid-Monday for US-goons.

First post is for newbies (What is Overwatch 2 and how it is different)
2nd post is for returning players (Changes and stuff)
3rd post is reserved for PVE, links and any other stuff that won't fit in other sections.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 1, 2022

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/imAVRL/status/1576282782837313541?t=t152mY6f8KN76AOjCcYiuA&s=19

That's an Overwatch League caster lol

this sms verification is daft

Deleted, what was it?

vvvvvvvvv Thanks.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 1, 2022

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

One of the Overwatch League casters couldn't register their own phone for SMS Protect

I'm assuming someone from the League poked them and hooked them up with a solution (least, I hope... :ohdear:)

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's like I never left.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Bacontotem posted:

It's like I never left.

Lol. Welcome back.

Did the Blizzard ever end up Probin/banning you for those losing shenanigans or was that just a wild rumour?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

That was surprisingly harsh and bleak. I had an ugly laugh at "I wasn't making my weekly sexual assault targets."

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bacontotem posted:

It's like I never left.

THE PRODIGAL SON RETURNS

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bacontotem posted:

It's like I never left.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

adhuin posted:

Lol. Welcome back.

Did the Blizzard ever end up Probin/banning you for those losing shenanigans or was that just a wild rumour?

I have never received any penalties for what I do. Even after the people I played with in the 1-5 seasons scienced out exactly how many matches you could auto-leave and never have queue penalties stack.

I directly knew people who were specifically punished because they would tank down to low bronze and attempt to sell carry services. The worst punishment I get is being such a statistical aberration that I get queues as bad if not worst than the top % players get.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 2, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

god loving drat

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Ignis posted:

One of the Overwatch League casters couldn't register their own phone for SMS Protect

I'm assuming someone from the League poked them and hooked them up with a solution (least, I hope... :ohdear:)

Was there any explanation why they had problems registering their phone? I'm guessing it might have something to do with some prepaid phone numbers not being accepted in some regions, but I didn't even know they would make that kind of distinction until just now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

my final overwatch lootbox

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

New thread for Overwatch 2

See you on the launch:

from ow1 launch: