Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ooh, I like the sound of raspberry...I never think to add fruit to chocolate, it's a real blind spot of mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there a place to sneak in some caramel? Maybe the ganache? Might not be a good idea, the rest of the cake was so overwhelmingly chocolate that I'm not sure if caramel could add much to it
The cocoa whipped cream was delicious, but for aesthetic reasons I might try a plain white whipped cream...I think the white contrast with the rest of the cheesecake would be interesting
Maybe switch out the oreo crust for a standard graham cracker one, give it more of a honey profile

I'd eat tf outta that. The smitten kitchen has a chocolate caramel cheesecake recipe I've made a few times and it's absolutely phenomenal. You make caramel with your sugar and then melt your chocolate into it along with some sour cream and incorporate it into the cheesecake batter. The flavor is amazing, chocolatey af with a really great caramel flavor throughout. Being cheesecake it's not terribly light, but there is still an odd lightness to it. Almost like a chocolate caramel mousse cake or something.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to figure out how to modify the classic Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe to get flat, spread, rippled cookies. My wife grew up on those and she's quite fond of that style. Oddly enough, I'd get those growing up sometimes from that recipe (and sometimes not) and my mom prefer that style too. However, if I make the cookies from that recipe, I don't get that effect.

Okay, there was one time it happened and I had used margarine. Both sides of the family were doing these in the 80s and 90s, so I had a theory we were all paranoid about butter, so I tried margarine. That seemed to work, but only once. When I tried it again, I didn't get the spread.

I was thinking of reducing the flour and switching to cake flour next as an experiment. Another change in process has been using a disher for portioning the cookies. Traditionally, we'd just slide the dough off a spoon, and I can imagine starting out with a taller cookie ball just mechanically prevents them from spreading as much.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I made some amonia cookies a while back and those things spread like crazy. Wish I had a recipe for them but it was so much experimentation...

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the classic Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe to get flat, spread, rippled cookies. My wife grew up on those and she's quite fond of that style. Oddly enough, I'd get those growing up sometimes from that recipe (and sometimes not) and my mom prefer that style too. However, if I make the cookies from that recipe, I don't get that effect.

Okay, there was one time it happened and I had used margarine. Both sides of the family were doing these in the 80s and 90s, so I had a theory we were all paranoid about butter, so I tried margarine. That seemed to work, but only once. When I tried it again, I didn't get the spread.

I was thinking of reducing the flour and switching to cake flour next as an experiment. Another change in process has been using a disher for portioning the cookies. Traditionally, we'd just slide the dough off a spoon, and I can imagine starting out with a taller cookie ball just mechanically prevents them from spreading as much.

What do you mean rippled?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello old thread.. just wanted to say: making cookies today. :)

Ok, peace.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Eeyo posted:

What do you mean rippled?

I don't think I can rip off an image right now, but you can image search for "pan banging chocolate chip cookies" and they all have that effect. For what it's worth, that's the last thing I intend to try for making them. That was not something none of us ever had to do 25+ years ago.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the classic Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe to get flat, spread, rippled cookies.

This sounds like how mine come out ... They are chewy with crispy edges and soft fragile middles when they first come out of the oven, but they do set up when cool. Looking at the toll house recipe, I use less flour (240g) and instead of brown+white sugar, I use all white sugar (300g) and a tablespoon of molasses. I also bake them at 350°F. The rest is the same.

The ones shown here are the large oxo disher size (same as using ¼ cup measuring cup) and baked for 12-14 mins on silicone mats. They spread like this straight out of the mixing bowl as well as after aging in the fridge.

E: this is a half sheet tray, for scale
E2: had wrong sugar weight

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 30, 2024

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, if you want a flatter, more spread-out cookie (which will probably also ripple) you want more sugar to less flour, basically.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cookie spread is also pretty readily influenced by dough starting temp. colder dough, less spread and vise versa

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Made the King Arthur 2024 recipe of the year chocolate chip cookies. Really peculiar texture, like someone hollowed out a normal chocolate chip cookie and replaced the inside with a moist cake or something. Anyone else made it? My version didn't look much like the pictures (way more domed and higher, less ripple, and tapered edges instead of sloped), so I'm wondering if it's supposed to taste like this or not.

e: Now that I'm on my pc, here are a couple of pictures. They were in the oven maybe 30 seconds too long but that really only affected the edges, I think.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 14, 2024

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can anyone here pipe worth a drat? I hate piping, because I'm so bad at it.

I want to make a cupcake of this guy:

and I'm trying to figure out how to do his head; it's basically a plague doctor mask. Seems if I knew what I was doing, could pipe it with one tip maybe?

I'm envisioning piping a large glob, then pulling the tip back to make the beak...that should work, right? But I'm not sure how to make the beak pointed. But then just pipe some black dots for his eyes, and I've got his head. Then wrap around his head with a petal tip to make his hood...then fill out the rest using a leaf tip to simulate feathers

God dammit I hate piping (I wish I was better at it :()

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

WHY BONER NOW posted:

But I'm not sure how to make the beak pointed.

Drag at the end of it with a toothpick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hmm, that may work though I question my ability to make it look good. Reminded me I have pallet knives, maybe they could work too...