Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Erainor posted:

Haven’t decided yet. My moms family already goes back to both the UK and France which is neat.

Keep us updated! Fair warning, genealogy can be addictive - on a whim, I got my father a 23andMe kit for his birthday a few years ago, and he's been absolutely obsessed with researching our family tree ever since. I'm not necessarily that interested in hearing about some 'ancestor' from seven generations ago, but when I go over there I patiently listen to his lengthy explanations anyway. It's just heartwarming to see him so enthusiastic over a hobby that I encouraged him to get into.

I'd love to see your results if you do decide to test your DNA. New World people with ancestry from different places are always especially interesting to me. I submitted a kit along with my father back when, but since I'm Old World, and native to the area I live in, the results were kind of boring and predictable:

The only surprise when I got my results back the first time was that they said I was 33% 'British & Irish'. I have no British ancestry that I know of, and indeed, when they updated the algorithm a few weeks later that suddenly dropped to 3%. I think 23andMe had some trouble distinguishing between closely related European subgroups at the start, but it seems to be performing a lot better in that regard now.

I also found out that I have a lot of (distant) American 'relatives', and a ton of them live in Michigan, which makes sense since so many Flemings/Belgians immigrated there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah Michigan (especially the southwestern portion) is chock full of Dutch descendants and Calvinists.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
And Finns, especially in the UP.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lots of Germans and Irish too. And a surprising little pocket of Welsh in the UP along with the Finns (all that mining experience, used to be a lot of copper mines up around there).

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The UP is my family on both sides. It’s definitely addicting and Ive made a couple minor mistakes with similar sounding names.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea it's addictive as hell, been at it for over 20 years now & i keep finding new stuff

a puzzle with infinite pieces

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Welp, dad died and I went back home for the funeral and on our way out of the parking lot my sister gave me all kinds of stuff my aunt had saved for me from when she was cleaning out grandmas house (she died a decade ago and we are all a bunch of pack rats so it was… a lot of work).
Y’all there are a ton of news clippings dating back to the 40s, including a Christmas card from my deployed grandfather from 1944. Grandma kept every drat thing that related to our family in the paper. Like ALL the tea.
God drat newspapers were gossipy back in the day. She has clippings of various relatives arrests for drunk and disorderly, drunk driving, punching a cop, my dad being quoted by the labor reporter for the local paper from when a bunch of laid off autoworkers took busses to DC to lobby in the 60s, her and my grandpas picture in the paper when they were the first patrons of some new rural land bank or something…
And every. Single. Engagement, wedding, funeral, birth announcement, even freaking land sales. EVeRyTHING that had to do with our family, down to like 3rd and 4th freaking cousins, it’s there.
My husband says the clippings smell like black mold lol. More like genealogy gold am I rite? I’m still going through them. She has my moms news clipping from when she married my dad which has a picture I’ve never seen before (she may or may not have burned them when they got divorced).
I am in like some kind of nirvana induced shock. Here’s hoping it’s not the black mold, heh.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

Welp, dad died and I went back home for the funeral and on our way out of the parking lot my sister gave me all kinds of stuff my aunt had saved for me from when she was cleaning out grandmas house (she died a decade ago and we are all a bunch of pack rats so it was… a lot of work).
Y’all there are a ton of news clippings dating back to the 40s, including a Christmas card from my deployed grandfather from 1944. Grandma kept every drat thing that related to our family in the paper. Like ALL the tea.
God drat newspapers were gossipy back in the day. She has clippings of various relatives arrests for drunk and disorderly, drunk driving, punching a cop, my dad being quoted by the labor reporter for the local paper from when a bunch of laid off autoworkers took busses to DC to lobby in the 60s, her and my grandpas picture in the paper when they were the first patrons of some new rural land bank or something…
And every. Single. Engagement, wedding, funeral, birth announcement, even freaking land sales. EVeRyTHING that had to do with our family, down to like 3rd and 4th freaking cousins, it’s there.
My husband says the clippings smell like black mold lol. More like genealogy gold am I rite? I’m still going through them. She has my moms news clipping from when she married my dad which has a picture I’ve never seen before (she may or may not have burned them when they got divorced).
I am in like some kind of nirvana induced shock. Here’s hoping it’s not the black mold, heh.

Congratulations on the motherlode. All I got was a bunch of tchotchkes and cool dresser.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

condolences, oracle.

but nice haul! my maternal grandma was like that, kept hundreds of letters & photos, clippings, whatnot. whereas my paternal grandpa apparently burned a bunch of stuff.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

having a brain fart, what's the word for the "vital data" of a person? like basic birth/baptism/marriage/death/burial dates+places

e: not the vital records themselves, but the summary data

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 16, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

having a brain fart, what's the word for the "vital data" of a person? like basic birth/baptism/marriage/death/burial dates+places

e: not the vital records themselves, but the summary data

I don’t know that there is one. We usually use BMD (for birth marriage death) and most departments you request that data from are called vital records. Vital events?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

I don’t know that there is one. We usually use BMD (for birth marriage death) and most departments you request that data from are called vital records. Vital events?

ok thx, or perhaps "life events"?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Vital statistics?

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just passed 2000 names on Myheritage family tree between my wife's family and mine. Here's to 2000 more (Maybe)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woo!

I’ve decided to take a brute force approach to figuring out the father of my great-grandfather, who has a relatively rare surname for the part of the country he’s in, and am just doing the trees for everyone of his last name in the county. Interestingly enough the spelling changes over the years quite a bit (mostly because spelling wasn’t standardized until towards the end of the 19th century but also due to semi literacy because it’s spelled consistently in other places where English is the dominant language). I signed up for an Irish newspaper archive subscription on a Black Friday whim for a year hoping I could find an article about his trip back home in the 1920s but no such luck. I did however find out a different great-great-grandfather testified in a murder trial when he was twelve! That’s kind of scary (and probably explains some other things).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Congrats, Erainor! Keep it up :D

I just found one of my great-10-grandfathers, a man named Willum Davidsen. Basically one sentence stating that a fee was paid for bringing part of his inheritance out of the fief on October 15, 1588. He probably died young — an adult son bearing the name of David Willumsen, ie. the first-born, is mentioned 1613 through 1649, and was thus likely born in the 1580s — so let's say he was born in the 1550s. drat.

There is only one older extant record from that area, the fief accountings for 1582–83 in which he is not mentioned, so that's the end of that line! No more to find :o:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Congrats, Erainor! Keep it up :D

I just found one of my great-10-grandfathers, a man named Willum Davidsen. Basically one sentence stating that a fee was paid for bringing part of his inheritance out of the fief on October 15, 1588. He probably died young — an adult son bearing the name of David Willumsen, ie. the first-born, is mentioned 1613 through 1649, and was thus likely born in the 1580s — so let's say he was born in the 1550s. drat.

There is only one older extant record from that area, the fief accountings for 1582–83 in which he is not mentioned, so that's the end of that line! No more to find :o:

drat. I had a researcher find a record from the 1580s about some umpteenth great grandfather in some podunk Bavarian village who’s listed as coming ‘from elsewhere.’ Like thanks guys way to vague that up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

drat. I had a researcher find a record from the 1580s about some umpteenth great grandfather in some podunk Bavarian village who’s listed as coming ‘from elsewhere.’ Like thanks guys way to vague that up.

Yeah it doesn't say whence the inheritance, just the existence of the fee means outside the fief so who knows lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also both Willum and David are somewhat unusual names for that combination of time/place so that's another point in favor of family outside the fief.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
1485 and 17 generations back in the highlands of Scotland.

Erainor fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 1, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nice! I have Borthwick ancestors from Pittenweem, one immigrated to Denmark in the 1630s or '40s, and a grandson of him is the guy I've mentioned in the last couple pages who got his sister in law pregnant in the early 1700s.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Erainor posted:

1485 and 17 generations back in the highlands of Scotland.

Awesome, whereabouts? You hit the Doomesday book?

I have Scots-Irish from Ayrshire that all their Protestant descendants are adamant there are no other records for and get quite flustered when I find them in Catholic ones in both Ireland and Canada. Makes sense why they lost those family lines, given that’s how mine got sundered (guy married not just a Catholic girl but a French-Canadian Catholic girl).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

re Domesday Book, I think the oldest we have is king "Valdemar's census" (Valdemars Jordebog) from the 1250s. It's very short, though, maybe it's just the crown holdings? Like it's idk 2-300 people named for all of Denmark. Even then, there would be at least a thousand times that many people living here so. And the same in England when the domesday book was compiled. No shame on descendants, its just i think about that when i dig into fief accountings

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oracle posted:

Awesome, whereabouts? You hit the Doomesday book?

I have Scots-Irish from Ayrshire that all their Protestant descendants are adamant there are no other records for and get quite flustered when I find them in Catholic ones in both Ireland and Canada. Makes sense why they lost those family lines, given that’s how mine got sundered (guy married not just a Catholic girl but a French-Canadian Catholic girl).

Sleat, Inverness-Shire, Scotland
It's an island off the northwest coast of the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I’ve seen that mentioned as an equivalent. Also my bad, Domesday was both earlier than the cited date and didn’t cover Scotland as at that time it was a kingdom in its own right and not under William the Conquerors domain. There does not appear to be a Scottish equivalent.