Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It ranges from "absolutely boring after 9pm" to "get stabbed for $20 because no one from the city actually lives there." It's nice in the daylight though!

This is spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Rah! posted:

Rio Doesn't make the top 50 list, but it's also worse than Chicago, at 1202 murders and a rate of 18.6 per 100k residents in 2015 (a record low, which has spike upwards 40% this year). In 2015, Chicago had 468 murders and a rate of 17.2. Chicago isn't even close to being among the worst cities for murder rate in the US, let alone in Brazil.
Statistics like these are fairly skewed. The North Side barely has any crime when compared to the South and West Sides yet their population is lumped in. Chicago also has way better hospitals than Brazil which would inevitably lead to less murders. Still, if you look at specific neighborhoods especially around Englewood, Austin, Cicero, Humboldt, etc. I'm sure you'll find that they're some of the most violent places around.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where is all this crime in the West side? Batavia? Northbrook.
Lol

Here's a pc answer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_areas_in_Chicago

South side is full of parks and benches it seems

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Oh, so as long as I don't go out at night I won't die? Great!

Oh and Jesus, Airbnb is super expensive here, strangely enough, so are generic hotel rooms. A crappy hotel room is roughly analogous to a small Airbnb. Chicago is really pricey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

Oh, so as long as I don't go out at night I won't die? Great!

Oh and Jesus, Airbnb is super expensive here, strangely enough, so are generic hotel rooms. A crappy hotel room is roughly analogous to a small Airbnb. Chicago is really pricey.

Take a look in between Chicago and North Ave and Ashland and Western. Anywhere in there should be nice, with in walking distance of tons of bars, restaurants, and public transport, and have a near zero chance of being mugged even on your own at like 4am.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Statistics like these are fairly skewed. The North Side barely has any crime when compared to the South and West Sides yet their population is lumped in. Chicago also has way better hospitals than Brazil which would inevitably lead to less murders. Still, if you look at specific neighborhoods especially around Englewood, Austin, Cicero, Humboldt, etc. I'm sure you'll find that they're some of the most violent places around.
Some quick stats because I was curious. This uses population information from the 2010 Census and since most of these areas are on the decline these rates might actually be larger.

Homicides Per 10,000 Residents:
Austin - 5.98
Englewood - 19.57
Garfield Park - 10.37
North Lawndale - 6.68
Humboldt Park - 3.55
New City - 5.41

Austin is the only one that's near 100,000 residents but if we cherry-pick all these places and add them up we're left with a total population of 304,348. That would be enough to get ranked on this list of cities by murder rate. 74.59 would be our rate which would place us at rank #6.

Oh but wait, there are still over 100 days left in the year. If 137 more people get shot and die in those neighborhoods before 2017 then our little gang-filled clusterfuck of a city will become the new leader.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, thought Austin would be higher. Englewood is right where I thought it would be though.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I was actually surprised not to see Lagos on that list of the most violent cities, I guess their reputation is a lot worse than the reality.

actually, they're almost all South, Central or North American (nice work United States, you're like the only properly developed first world country on the list and with multiple entries no less) and then South Africa is the only African country that has cities on the list.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

The Saurus posted:

I was actually surprised not to see Lagos on that list of the most violent cities, I guess their reputation is a lot worse than the reality.

actually, they're almost all South, Central or North American (nice work United States, you're like the only properly developed first world country on the list and with multiple entries no less) and then South Africa is the only African country that has cities on the list.

Gotta wonder how many murders go unreported or unrecorded in Lagos or other African cities though...

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
From what I heard, in Lagos if you report a murder, the cops arrest you for committing it, so literally no one ever reports them and the corpses just lie there and rot, so that makes sense.

For a place to have murder statistics, someone has to care enough to mark it down as a crime.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

chicagoland burns

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Humboldt Park is really two neighborhoods though. There's OK, gentrifying east Humboldt Park, aka "Logan Square South", and west Humboldt on the other side of the park, which is Shooty Town. That's where Humboldt Park gets its terrible rep. I have a friend who always used to say he lived in Ukrainian Village despite living right down the street from the giant Puerto Rican flag arch, LOL

Vlonald Prump fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 14, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hobelhouse posted:

Humboldt Park is really two neighborhoods though. There's OK, gentrifying east Humboldt Park, aka "Logan Square South", and west Humboldt Park on the other side of the park, which is Shooty Town. That's where Humboldt Park gets its terrible rep. I have a friend who always used to say he lived in Ukrainian Village despite living right down the street from to the giant Puerto Rican flag arch....

Both sides were bad just a decade ago. In another 10 years Humboldt will be what Logan Square is today. Which is why I'm thinking of buying there.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Humboldt is already much better than it used to be 5 years ago even. Itll be neutered in 5 more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Chicago police rolling out new, mandatory 'de-escalation' training

"After years of paying out tens of millions of dollars in lawsuits over excessive force, the city is now bringing officers in for training that emphasizes "de-escalation" tactics to try to reduce the number of fatal confrontations.

The department has laid out an ambitious schedule to train its entire 12,500 sworn workforce in about a year's time, holding classes six days a week. A Tribune reporter and photographer were given exclusive access to the two days of training that each officer will undergo. The department launched the effort this month.

It represents a major shift for a Police Department that has lacked a strong mandate and the resources to carry out training that re-creates real-world stress for officers. And while the idea to pull back and take time was welcomed by officers, they also acknowledged how much pressure still exists to resolve calls quickly and move onto the next assignment.

The training comes at a time when not only are the actions and split-second decisions of officers under more scrutiny than ever but as tensions between law enforcement and the public have spiked with the targeted shootings of officers in Texas and Louisiana.

That leaves instructors at the Police Department's Near West Side training academy with a somewhat delicate balancing act: helping officers recognize times they should use slower, calmer approaches without losing their confidence to use deadly force when needed to protect themselves and others.

"When we can reduce the risk of taking a life even if it's a bad guy, we should. ... We should not use force simply because we can," Sgt. Larry Snelling, the lead instructor, told the group at the beginning of training last week. "But when you are faced with an immediate threat and your life or someone else's life is on the line … you should respond with deadly force. You have to."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-chicago-police-training-met-20160916-story.html

• Locked thread