Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
This time it's back to the USN campaign, as the Silver Lynxes go check out Grey Rock!

Episode 25 - Kevin 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I hope you're having a good break. No front mission LP until September? I guess we'll just have to... deal with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 14, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Double postin' as I can't delete my original attachment.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Crazy Achmed posted:

Double postin' as I can't delete my original attachment.

Oh that's good! I'm probably going to do some new episodes this weekend. The break was good!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

After a long break, I'm back with another episode! And...things go awry.

Episode 26 - Royd 5

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that's a terrible gimmick. But I guess this is an indication of the game's age that someone thought it'd be cool to have a unit wandering the map that one-shots anyone it engages. Also didn't you have a mechanic before?

So is there any reason to favour machine guns over rifles? The sheer damage output from a rifle really seems to put MGs to shame, even taking the odd missed shot into consideration. And yes, Ryuji is one hell of a hero.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, that's a terrible gimmick. But I guess this is an indication of the game's age that someone thought it'd be cool to have a unit wandering the map that one-shots anyone it engages. Also didn't you have a mechanic before?

So is there any reason to favour machine guns over rifles? The sheer damage output from a rifle really seems to put MGs to shame, even taking the odd missed shot into consideration. And yes, Ryuji is one hell of a hero.

The mechanic was an addition to the USN campaign. We'll get something similar in the OCU campaign not too far from now. The reason to use machine guns is for finishing off a number of damaged parts at once this can net huge experience gains because your XP in this game is determined by how many parts you destroy. They also become incredibly powerful later in the game. I'll probably add a few more rifles to my team though.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Alright after another long hiatus I actually got a decent recording session in! Here are some new episodes, with more to come!

Episode 27 - Royd 5 Redux
Episode 28 - Kevin Event 6
Walter Mission 2
Walter Event 6
Episode 29 - Royd Event 1
Episode 30 - Royd 6

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Glad this is back!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Glad this is back!

Glad to hear it!

I've got just one video today, with hopefully with more to come this weekend:

Episode 31 - Royd Secret Mission 1

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I love that the game has two different art styles for its characters depending on which campaign they belong to, it's a pretty funny artifact of its development.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's a shame that the last front mission game seems to have scuttled the franchise despite being a massive departure from its core gameplay, but a new armored core is always good.
Is that sign in the city background screens supposed to read "LSD"? Huffman seems to have some really liberal policies on drugs, I'm guessing it's like the Amsterdam of the future.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

It's a shame that the last front mission game seems to have scuttled the franchise despite being a massive departure from its core gameplay, but a new armored core is always good.
Is that sign in the city background screens supposed to read "LSD"? Huffman seems to have some really liberal policies on drugs, I'm guessing it's like the Amsterdam of the future.

Yeah pretty sure that was intentional! The city background art is way more grimy and gritty than what we see on the maps, but that changed in FM2 where they both are really run-down looking.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here we are with another video! Once the Christmas break rolls around I should get some larger batches out, but for now I'm trying to do one per week:

Episode 32 - Kevin 12

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

This week Kevin and company take on a giant railroad cannon!

Episode 33 - Kevin 13

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that mission took a pretty brutal turn once you had no choice but to rush down the cannons. I guess they intended for you to save your missiles, then have your entire team focus down one cannon per turn before engaging the rest of the enemies?
Also, can they use their supply truck the same way you use yours with Royd's squad?

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, that mission took a pretty brutal turn once you had no choice but to rush down the cannons. I guess they intended for you to save your missiles, then have your entire team focus down one cannon per turn before engaging the rest of the enemies?
Also, can they use their supply truck the same way you use yours with Royd's squad?

It's an interesting question whether they can actually use the supply truck, I'm not actually sure. As for the mission plan, you can actually reload missiles from your repair unit just like you can in Royd's campaign, so I could have hung back and reloaded. I could have also brought more units with Long attacks. Finally I could have used Smoke more often to improve my chances against the cannons.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

What better way to finish up 2016 than by playing through the battle of Freedom City! Almost all of it is here to watch.

Episode 34 - Kevin Event 7
Episode 35 - Royd 7
Episode 36 - Kevin 14
Walter Mission 4
Episode 37 - Kevin Event 8

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nice work with obliterating those last few missions, poo poo is starting to get real for Royd and Kevin. I've been giving FM4 a break for the recent past but think i just ran into a particular character in that campaign which I am, well, kinda surprised to see.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Nice work with obliterating those last few missions, poo poo is starting to get real for Royd and Kevin. I've been giving FM4 a break for the recent past but think i just ran into a particular character in that campaign which I am, well, kinda surprised to see.

Oh yes, we'll get to those connections! Here is another batch of missions, this time just from the OCU campaign:

Episode 38 - Royd 8
Episode 39 - Royd Secret Mission 2

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

The holidays are over but I'm still recording! A short mission to check out here:

Episode 40 - Royd 9

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And here's the follow up to yesterday's episode. What do J.J. and Keith get up to? Find out here!

Episode 41 - Royd 10

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here are a couple videos from Kevin's scenario. Unfortunately I missed activating a secret mission after Mission 14 in his scenario, so I'm going to have go back and redo a bunch of missions. Because of that uploading will be on hiatus for a while.

Episode 42 - Kevin 15
Episode 43 - Kevin 16

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You finally made a Clinton joke. I was really wondering when one would come out.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

You finally made a Clinton joke. I was really wondering when one would come out.

Couldn't help myself!

With that little side mission problem sorted out here's the next episode! Let's just say the AI was behaving unusually in this one...

Episode 44 - Kevin Secret Mission 4

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MaterialConceptual posted:

Couldn't help myself!
Put a "This machine loses elections." sticker on it.

That was some pretty odd AI behavior there. Also that was some pretty terrible supply management, damaging one depot can make others explode on the other end of the island? That's completely thoughtless!

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Put a "This machine loses elections." sticker on it.

I am in favour of this.

quote:

That was some pretty odd AI behavior there. Also that was some pretty terrible supply management, damaging one depot can make others explode on the other end of the island? That's completely thoughtless!

The whole premise for that mission is embarrassingly paper thin. Probably the most phoned in of the secret missions.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

And we're back to the OCU side of things with this mission. A fairly large one that involves crossing the Mail River.

Episode 45 - Royd 11

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Here is our next episode in the OCU campaign where the Canyon Crows do a bit of a train heist. It has been a while since the last one but I hope I can get some more episodes out this week.

Episode 46 - Royd 12

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This LP doesn't get too many replies, but I enjoy how thorough it is and mecha exploding doesn't really get old.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yep. I'm still watching and enjoying it, it's interesting from both a plot perspective and also looking at the gameplay itself. Some weird stuff in there, such as how machine guns went from being trash in the start of the game to absolutely wrecking things now, and that long-range sniper rifle falling by the wayside in terms of damage output so quickly without really getting a viable replacement (the grenade launchers just don't seem all that powerful). I thought it was an odd choice giving the sniper character a close-range flamethrower as a secondary weapon, but it makes sense in the light of not getting a decent upgrade to the rifle.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yep. I'm still watching and enjoying it, it's interesting from both a plot perspective and also looking at the gameplay itself. Some weird stuff in there, such as how machine guns went from being trash in the start of the game to absolutely wrecking things now, and that long-range sniper rifle falling by the wayside in terms of damage output so quickly without really getting a viable replacement (the grenade launchers just don't seem all that powerful). I thought it was an odd choice giving the sniper character a close-range flamethrower as a secondary weapon, but it makes sense in the light of not getting a decent upgrade to the rifle.

The switch to flamethrower from sniper rifle doesn't make any sense in terms of later FM, but the only difference in FM1 is their damage vs. accuracy. The weird lack of long range rifles in FM1 (except for that one you get with Gina) is a big problem with its design. It's a real shame they didn't do the same thing with the FM DS release that they did with Border of Madness, where they basically backported FM5's mechanics into the FM1 engine. Personally I think the most fun to be had in FM is when you get high level switch and speed skills on your machine guns and can just chew through enemies, although there are a couple missions that are actually well balanced enough to be challenging and fun.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This LP doesn't get too many replies, but I enjoy how thorough it is and mecha exploding doesn't really get old.

Thanks for the feedback! I know there are quite a few people who lurk on this thread. I guess many people didn't play this game because of the limited DS release. It seems most people familiar with FM only played FM3, with some having also played FM4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

I keep having problems getting the playlist for this video to work properly on Youtube, but at least you guys who are watching the series on here can check it out!

Episode 47 - Kevin 17

• Locked thread