Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Problem description:
When shutting down or rebooting, my Thinkpad T530 does not do it properly. It eventually hangs on a black screen. The power button is still lit and it reacts to keyboard shortcuts for backlight and such but it will not power off at all unless I hold down the power button for five seconds. This problem is somewhat erratic, occasionally it does do so succesfully but I haven't been able to pinpoint what exactly makes it work.

Attempted fixes:
I have attempted several fixes before I decided to clean up my boot drive and reinstall the OS as it was time to do so anyways.
However, the issue popped up after several hours, after several trouble-free restarts and shut downs.

I have googled this issue and there are quite a bit of other laptop owners with the same problem. One solution was to roll back Intel Management Engine Interface to version 9, which did not help.
I also disabled Fast Startup under power settings which did not help as well. I figured if the problem persisted even past a fresh OS install, there might be something else going on.

Recent changes:
I reinstalled several programs, namely Chrome, Adobe Creative Suite and 3dsmax.
I also followed this guide to fix a small quirk with my trackpad, which consisted of editing several registry keys.

--

Operating system: Winsdows 10 Professional

System specs:
Lenovo Thinkpad T530
i5-3210m
16gb RAM
NVS 5400m

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
It's been solved!

After some debugging, I traced it down to the SDCard reader driver. I had been troubleshooting a broken SD card which was inserted in my PC and when removed all problems disappear. I'm guessing it wasn't shutting down properly because of that.

• Locked thread