Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every of you for your hard work and dedication to making this month's edition of the AI Chat Thread a resounding success.

On the other hand, I found the lack of participation in the AI Monthly Book Club very disappointing. Perhaps as a new initiative, there are of course a few kinks to be worked out, but I would like to see more effort in the future.

Overall, going forward, I think we can be pleased of our performances so go ahead and give yourselves a pat on the back. This is no time to rest on our laurels, however so please carry this momentum for a great start to next month. Keep up the good work!

Also, could the OP of next months thread please post a link in this thread, thank you.

-corn in the fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
As the thread is almost over and the topic will unlikely continue to next month, I want to share a story that hopefully will not carry itself to the next thread as it's quite depressing.

One of my wife's horses was hit by a reckless driver going 30+ over on Sunday night. 3 of the mare's legs were nearly severed and were severely broken along with many internal injuries and broken ribs.

I had to put her down with my shotgun while two state police troopers held her down because we couldn't get a vet there at that time and day. I've been having nightmares and flashbacks since. My wife's voice as she screamed for me to get the gun will resonate for me for my entire life.

Drive as fast as you want, but have a little respect for farming communities, please. These animals are our family members. In some cases they're our life. They can be unpredictable and do stupid poo poo, but in the US, farming areas and people with livestock often have much in the way of signage around their property. Just be more aware.

Thanks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

corn in the fridge posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every of you for your hard work and dedication to making this month's edition of the AI Chat Thread a resounding success.

On the other hand, I found the lack of participation in the AI Monthly Book Club very disappointing. Perhaps as a new initiative, there are of course a few kinks to be worked out, but I would like to see more effort in the future.

Overall, going forward, I think we can be pleased of our performances so go ahead and give yourselves a pat on the back. This is no time to rest on our laurels, however so please carry this momentum for a great start to next month. Keep up the good work!

Also, could the OP of next months thread please post a link in this thread, thank you.

-corn in the fridge

I am disappointed in myself for not getting to your book, corn in the fridge. I will do so soon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's loving horrid. :cry:

Was the driver cited?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 30, 2016

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

meatpimp posted:

That's loving horrid. :cry:

Was the driver cited?

Yeah. A number of citations. He also was crying along with me and was forced to watch while I ended it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am so sorry to hear that. That must be like putting one of your family down :(

He' will remember it for the rest of his life too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Always good to finish a thread on a high point.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I sold our old house, that's kind of good news.

Now to decide what to do with the money from the sale. Put it in the market? Nope. Buy a car? NO. Buy a plane? Maybe. Buy 4 or 5 section 8 rental properties and become a slumlord? Very likely.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tide posted:

Now to decide what to do with the money from the sale. Put it in the market? Nope. Buy a car? NO. Buy a plane? Maybe. Buy 4 or 5 section 8 rental properties and become a slumlord? Very likely.

Buy a property to rent and build a smaller room inside the living room to cleverly increase the number of rooms you can rent out.

I'm about to put my place on the market. Should be a fun ride.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

freelop posted:

Buy a property to rent and build a smaller room inside the living room to cleverly increase the number of rooms you can rent out.

You joke, but in vancouver, people tent off areas of their livingroom, or worse, just rent out a sofa bed in their living room.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-room-rental-...gationFlag=true

Only $400 a month for a futon in some guy's living room that's also kinda the dining room/kitchen.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Powershift posted:

You joke, but in vancouver, people tent off areas of their livingroom, or worse, just rent out a sofa bed in their living room.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-room-rental-...gationFlag=true

Only $400 a month for a futon in some guy's living room that's also kinda the dining room/kitchen.

That's pretty terrible

My post was in reference to this glorious thread

Sidenote: if you highlight text with a thread url in clipboard and add url tags in the awful app it automatically puts the url in the tags. That's impressive.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

freelop posted:

That was a great thread. :allears:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Noise Complaint posted:

Yeah. A number of citations. He also was crying along with me and was forced to watch while I ended it.

Good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bajaha posted:

Pro tip: you can easily separate the bellhousing from the motor by pressing in the clutch once you've removed all the bolts holding the trans in place.

Seriously was a game changer for how easy it was to remove. But with a '14 it shouldn't be too stuck on anyway

Some prefer to remove the motor, others prefer to drop the trans, I found it easier to drop the trans. Look through my thread and you'll see some pics, although it's not really a step by step guide. Plenty of removal for both motor and trans in there.

ACEofsnett and I came up with that method and, well, it works if it's been off VERY recently, in the northeast. It's worked ~75% of the time so far, my April EJ25 pull out of my car was loving miserable because it was seized the gently caress on there after only 2 years.

I usually pull the engine (on Subarus, if it's any of my jeeps it's a monster cast iron engine and I don't want anything to do with pulling those when I can drop a 120lb transmission instead) since I have no lift and even worse, a dirt work area. If I had a lift I'd definitely pull the transmission.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tide posted:

Don't do section 8. Those actually get inspected by the government and repairs have to be made. If you want to be a true slumlord just buy the houses and rent them to people with lovely credit. Bonus points if you live in Arkansas.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Power came back on last night around 430 AM after being out since ~8PM. Getting a solid night's sleep lately is impossible =/

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

rdb posted:

Don't do section 8. Those actually get inspected by the government and repairs have to be made. If you want to be a true slumlord just buy the houses and rent them to people with lovely credit. Bonus points if you live in Arkansas.

Alabama, so pretty much the same.

Just a better college football team.

Not so worried about repairs. I've done quite a bit of research on Sec 8, and one of my closest friends has like 10 sec 8 properties. It's not that tough to deal with and 90 percent of the repairs or work I can do myself.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought a Porsche 911 so that's a high point (god I hope it is and not a disaster)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I bought a Porsche 911 so that's a high point (god I hope it is and not a disaster)

Worst case scenario, another $10k puts an LS3 in it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:stonk: Dude that is awful. I am not beneath admitting that I have driven faster than posted limits but I would like to think that I have used discretion where I have done it, namely where people/animals/hazards aren't present :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It's June, how is there no July thread yet?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I am disappointed in myself for not getting to your book, corn in the fridge. I will do so soon.
If anyone can't afford to buy a book, I think I saw a big pile of copies of Mein Kampf in the bin behind Labour party headquarters. They seemed eager to be rid of them.

loving hell dude. That's poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

This all makes the assumption that
1) I'm home when the storm hits. At least here in Phoenix the thunderstorms go from clear skys to thunderstorm in 30 minutes or less pretty regular.
2) I have any warning - as with the above, often the first warning I have of a thunderstorm is when the windows rattle from the first lightning strike.

Also that.

Having said that, I've been lucky and never lost anything to a strike (knocking furiously on my wood desktop here).

I have surge protectors on pretty much everything, but I know they aren't going to stop a direct hit or near miss from loving up lots of stuff in the house.

Quoting all of this because it's true. Computer seems to have suffered no actual damage, it was just odd seeing my steering wheel initialize itself.

That bolt of lightning in particular hit the shed of the assholes who live directly behind me (who love to yell at my kid for "making noise" when she's playing in the yard midday). Managed to get it to smolder a bit, even.

Edit: Goddamn, Noise Complaint. :smith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

lovely way to end the month. Hope July is much better for you.

Also, glad they made the person watch, hopefully it actually means something to him long term.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

I commuted on a Ruckus for two years in Edmonton. Do It! You basically have to ride the thing WOT everywhere all the time. It's the best. You will need a lowered seat frame and foot pegs if you're taller than 6' though.

There's a new overpass going into the industrial area (technically outside the city) my shop's in which just opened and makes a scooter commute almost feasible but there's still a 1.2km stretch where I have to do 70 and get up there very quickly, or be a 250lb mosquito stuck to the Mark LT style grille on some bro-Cummins or other. I could swing Saturday and Sunday because I'm basically the only one in that whole area on a weekend shift but Monday and Friday would be... challenging.
If I've got a few bucks knocking around the next time a cheap one shows up on kijiji I might do it anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With how lovely 2016 is going, we should just skip straight to the august chat thread, try to get this poo poo over with quicker.

Tommychu posted:

There's a new overpass going into the industrial area (technically outside the city) my shop's in which just opened and makes a scooter commute almost feasible but there's still a 1.2km stretch where I have to do 70 and get up there very quickly, or be a 250lb mosquito stuck to the Mark LT style grille on some bro-Cummins or other. I could swing Saturday and Sunday because I'm basically the only one in that whole area on a weekend shift but Monday and Friday would be... challenging.
If I've got a few bucks knocking around the next time a cheap one shows up on kijiji I might do it anyway.

Turbo ruckus.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Clarkson/Hammond/May's website called DriveTribe is up. Gotta be some room for the regular AI'ers in there, right?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Clarkson/Hammond/May's website called DriveTribe is up. Gotta be some room for the regular AI'ers in there, right?

I... I don't think so. It looks like they're looking for content creator workers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't know what the Tumblr qualifies as. Beater-related delusional psychosis?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Exhibit A.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

The Locator posted:

lovely way to end the month. Hope July is much better for you.

Also, glad they made the person watch, hopefully it actually means something to him long term.

I don't understand the ire against the driver. Making him watch seems a bit like torture.

NoiseCompaint, I'm sorry for your loss, that sucks. It is, however, your responsibility to make sure your horse isn't hanging out in the roadway.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

casque posted:

NoiseCompaint, I'm sorry for your loss, that sucks. It is, however, your responsibility to make sure your horse isn't hanging out in the roadway.

You did read the part about the driver doing 30+ over the limit in the night time in what I assume is a rural area likely populated with farm animals?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Animals shouldn't be populating on the road, though. Noise Complaint didn't say if the horse was in the road, or if the car was off-road however.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Cage posted:

Animals shouldn't be populating on the road, though. Noise Complaint didn't say if the horse was in the road, or if the car was off-road however.

It depends on your definition of rural. I can think of a few roads in this province where I'd 100% be expecting farm animals on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

casque posted:

It is, however, your responsibility to make sure your horse isn't hanging out in the roadway.

Cage posted:

He didn't give the details, who knows what the situation was, other than profoundly hosed up and the driver was cited. I wish y'all would stop being know-it-all dicks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I dunno but APPLY APPLY APPLY APPLY APPLY PLEASE APPLY

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

The area is very rural with a shitload of signage to slow down signage that there's horses and other animals and It wasn't all that dark. Granted yes, she did get out of her paddock, however, animals crossing that road is not abnormal and is nearly an every day thing. Hence the signage and many warnings to slow the hell down. Unfortunately the driver did not heed them and was not paying attention as its a straightaway with nearly a mile of visibility.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781692

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

casque posted:

I don't understand the ire against the driver. Making him watch seems a bit like torture.

The ire against the driver was from the points which perhaps you missed in the story - "reckless driver", and "multiple citations". Those indicate to me that the driver was at fault, therefore deserves to watch the consequences of his actions.

• Locked thread