Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bishop posted:

I'll get the ball rolling. The ft Lauderdale or Miami boat shows are the two I go to annually. You can tour yachts (my next boat will be a Lazarra in the 60ft range), but they have everything down to zodiacs. There's also all kinds of booths where they show off electronics: radar, chart plotters, radios, etc.

You can drop some coin at a boat show

Guy Harvey autographed my guy Harvey shirt at the ft Lauderdale show a few years back. No one knows what he looks like lol so he was just kinda chilling behind an easle instead of being mobbed at a booth in the corner.

He's a p chill dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was taken to a boat show as a child, it was pretty fun. it turns out they make boats really really big but as the boat gets longer the price goes up!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

i was taken to a boat show as a child, it was pretty fun. it turns out they make boats really really big but as the boat gets longer the price goes up!

Those long boats are called 'ships'.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
we're all stars in the boat show

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I like boats and their shows, but I feel that the usage of 'boat babes' is marginalizing to a lot of potential women boat owners and probably why boat ownership is so male-dominated.

Clickbait writers are leaving money on the table.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
You got tickets to the boat show!?

*flexes arms*

*one bicep is shaped like a skiff*

*the other like a chinese junk*

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
yes i was ten years old and there was polyester carpet everywhere so i spent the whole time shocking myself on various metal structures while my dad looked at boats

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Those long boats are called 'ships'.

sounds like we got a real 'sealubber' here (as the boatpeople say)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't go to boat shows any more because I don't want to run afoul of Sea Patrol

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

yes i was ten years old and there was polyester carpet everywhere so i spent the whole time shocking myself on various metal structures while my dad looked at boats

I have a similar story of youthful play, but I spent the whole time trying to find the biggest and most expensive yachts to explore. This being the Great Lakes they weren't as big as an ocean boat show would probably have.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxKOON5rXYo&t=172s

its hard to find good modified outboards crash footage on youtube but this is a good video of how fast they go out of the turns

water go-karts

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cub posted:

sometimes i go to the marina at the reservoir and sit and watch the boats come in after a long day. i try to imagine all the places they have been and the things the have seen. where did they go? to the spillway? over by the submerged farm silo? watersking? what did they see? another boat? a floating log? i sit and i huff canned air and imagine it was me in the boat and that everyone else in the world was dead.

Ace post

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

I have a similar story of youthful play, but I spent the whole time trying to find the biggest and most expensive yachts to explore. This being the Great Lakes they weren't as big as an ocean boat show would probably have.

I thought they build the biggest luxury yachts exactly in those regions then "ship" them (pun lol) to the ocean via the waterways.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

to answer your question OP no I do not go to boat shows, they are always the same weekend as your mother's donkey shows and i like to support her hobbies

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My parents took me to a boat show when I was a kid
I remember two things about it, the "new boat smell" was overwhelming and I got nauseous.
Also I saw an old guy who was missing both arms at the shoulders and I wondered how he could steer a boat or wipe his rear end or do anything at all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
he has a part-time job as a masthead

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Do they give out lots of free stuff at boat shows? I went to a car show once and hot a year of car and driver magazibe, a bunch of pens and a hat

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the lonely island boat song, blasting from the speakers the whole time

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
How do they get the boats indoors?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I did once but all these strange men with guns in blue boiler suits came and confiscated everyone's scuba gear. It was unpleasant.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 2, 2016

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

They close all the doors, plug the sinks, turn on the faucets, and then sail them in, dumbass.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

notZaar posted:

I thought they build the biggest luxury yachts exactly in those regions then "ship" them (pun lol) to the ocean via the waterways.

I dunno? I think the biggest thing there was 50 feet, so clearly just a boat show for the moderately wealthy. We just liked exploring things. I'm pretty sure dad was just there to find accessories.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Ah yes, once a year I don a captain's cap, white shorts, BASS boat shoes and a blue blazer, walk about giving horrible advice and looking smug. It's one of my favorite days.

FlimFlam Imam fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 2, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Closest I've been is a few weeks on an LHA with nothing to do because our choppers weren't needed for poo poo and they didn't want to use the fuel to give our pilots more than a few perfect conditions takeoffs and landings.

It was like the world's shittiest boat show/cruise

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
is motorboatin your mother considered a boat show

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
more commonly considered THE boat show

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Three-Phase posted:

I did once but all these strange men with guns in blue boiler suits came and confiscated everyone's scuba gear. It was unpleasant.

Thank you, same reason I posted earlier... I dont want to come across as a "Scooby Doo"

man up
Jun 2, 2016

by Cowcaster
every1 should ask eric and brodie and rio etc about yachting

yacht clubs are criminal organizations

it can be fun once in awhile to get into a laser type sail boat. they are very cheap and fun recreation if you're into that sort of thing. other than that y ru buying a expensive boat if u arent gonna live on it idgi

boat shows are an exercise in vanity worse than car shows and just totally vapid but fun to go and feel nauseated about. like a highschool ethics field trip

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Good effort to NOT post word salad Alex, but no body here knows who the gently caress you keep talking about sorry

man up
Jun 2, 2016

by Cowcaster

Captain Yossarian posted:

Good effort to NOT post word salad Alex, but no body here knows who the gently caress you keep talking about sorry

you are consistently high aggression, high anxiety, high negativity, high approval seeking. i think you need to be neutered. i am about to go through the process myself and you are more of a rapist than me. gl hf

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
alex is going to have a leaky butthole soon

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

man up posted:

you are consistently high aggression, high anxiety, high negativity, high approval seeking. i think you need to be neutered. i am about to go through the process myself and you are more of a rapist than me. gl hf

Well I AM a rape aficionado so youve got me there

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SEX BURRITO posted:

Carefully.

vols bitch posted:

is motorboatin your mother considered a boat show

If her boobs are impressive enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015
I bought a bass boat from a boat show, it was during the recession and dealers were offering pretty sweet deals. But I got bored with it after a few years and sold it. Owning a boat sucks IMO.

• Locked thread