Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topher2915
Jul 15, 2004
I own a small, 7 person land surveying firm in Houston. I have owned it about three years, but it has been in business since 1995. The former owner never did any type of marketing, website, advertising, brochures, anything of that nature. With the construction climate here there is not really a huge need for advertising if you never want to grow.

I however do want to grow. To that end, I am looking for a way to have someone design us a new logo and website, punch up some brochures and create (suggestion) a pretty spiral bound book representative of our work that we can take and deliver to potential clients, perhaps with a $100 restaurant gift card stuck inside to make it slightly more memorable.

The problem is, all I really see when I search marketing is either full time on-site people, or firms that want to charge exorbitant sums every month for SEO and blogging and poo poo like that that I don't care about. I just need a website, a logo, and some light paperwork.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get someone like that? Like, we need forty hours worth of one-time work for us, and that is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Depends on your budget. If you really want the bare minimum find a local college kid and have them take a stab at it, if you want to spend some money find a local advertising agency.

topher2915
Jul 15, 2004
The budget isn't a bare minimum, I would think five to eight grand is reasonable for a good week of work. An agency scares me off due to trying to sell me things I don't need.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Crowdsource the logos and designs (99designs), Upwork to find a decent web guy. Learn a bit yourself and just tell them what you need and what to do for you.
This is 2016 bro all the infinite monkeys on the internet will do anything for money. And heaps of them are talented - exploit them.

topher2915
Jul 15, 2004
Looking into 99designs now, thanks! Great tip.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sent you a PM topher

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Chadzok posted:

Crowdsource the logos and designs (99designs), Upwork to find a decent web guy. Learn a bit yourself and just tell them what you need and what to do for you.
This is 2016 bro all the infinite monkeys on the internet will do anything for money. And heaps of them are talented - exploit them.

I stumbled across this thread in a search and realize that I'm probably too late for topher, but I feel it necessary to reply to this for anyone else who is wondering:

You don't want to cheap out on your logo, and most crowdsourcing sites are cheaping out. I'm not sure about 99designs, but the others who market themselves as inexpensive (like fiverr) attract a lot of students and amateurs who just want to bang out garbage designs to make a quick buck, often just slapping a few pieces of clipart onto your company name in some generic inoffensive font.

Your logo is your first impression, as well as how people remember and identify your company. Changing your logo can severely screw up your brand recognition (peoples' ability to remember and identify you), and having a crappy, generic, or stolen logo will butcher your entire brand image.

If you're looking for logos but don't want to go to an agency, just look up local graphic designers. Most will have portfolios on their websites, and any independent designer worth his salt will also be able to provide all your collateral as well (business cards, brochures, fliers, etc). There are a ton of freelancers who actually come from those expensive full-service agencies--yeah, there are a couple of freelancers who are kind of hacks, but you'll be able to tell them apart pretty easily from their websites.

Anyways, hope this helps at some point in time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No one cares about a land survey companies logo, you are not selling organic water at $5 a ounce. You want to make sales calld to every developer and general contractor that hires companies like you and find out what they need that they are not getting. Don't do a sales pitch do a helping pitch.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Elephanthead posted:

No one cares about a land survey companies logo, you are not selling organic water at $5 a ounce. You want to make sales calld to every developer and general contractor that hires companies like you and find out what they need that they are not getting. Don't do a sales pitch do a helping pitch.

That's like telling someone not to bother showering before a job interview because you don't need to smell nice to be a good accountant. I don't want to get into an Internet argument, and won't bother refuting if this dude carries on, but I feel it's my civic duty to point out that this is terrible advice.

Your offer is important, but nobody is going to trust you as a professional if you look like an amateur. Particularly in business-to-business.

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
I hope I'm also not too late, but please PLEASE don't use Upwork for developers either. You can get a GREAT small business website with that budget (which I truly hope would mostly be going to marketing). The problem is that if you're an American developer on Upwork, you're probably not that good, and you'll be outbid by overseas guys that charge a fraction of the cost.

At the least, I'd suggest posting your request on Craigslist under the "computer gigs" section in the various tech hubs of the country. If a developer doesn't have a portfolio or any kind of LinkedIn presence, steer clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
You do need some maintenance on the website or else it just sort of stops working after a few years go by. I'm always put off when a small business I'm considering using has a website full of broken links and missing images. It doesn't make me confident about them still being in business.

• Locked thread