Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

is there any isometric style RPGs that arent western fantasy style? i dont like western fantasy cos it reminds me of like those airbrushed leather jackets old people with long hair wear sometimes.

In addition to what other said

Underrail
Jagged Alliance 2 (it's kind of x-com-ish. It's amazeballs though)
Silent Storm (kind of like JA2)
Wasteland 2
Age of Decadence (sort of fantasy but not the usual)
Hard West (kind of x-com in wild west)
Expeditions: Conquistador

If you go waaaay back, there was the Ultima: Martian Dreams game which was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

is Arachnarox available on PC without any optimisation issues because it's old? I kind of want to take a closer look at it after reading Masters of Doom.

I haven't tried it personally but gog's whole thing is that all their games are made to work on modern systems as opposed to Steam's more lax take on the subject. The closest thing to an issue I ever had with them was that I had to click a checkbox or two in Empire Earth's video settings to get it to display right, everything else has worked right off the bat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GOG stuff works out the box without issue from my limited experience with them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I haven't tried it personally but gog's whole thing is that all their games are made to work on modern systems as opposed to Steam's more lax take on the subject. The closest thing to an issue I ever had with them was that I had to click a checkbox or two in Empire Earth's video settings to get it to display right, everything else has worked right off the bat.

This. I've bought old games off steam before that just plain didn't work until I found out I had to download emulators of older Windows versions to get it to work so I stopped buying anything older than like 5 years from their crappy store.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

This. I've bought old games off steam before that just plain didn't work until I found out I had to download emulators of older Windows versions to get it to work so I stopped buying anything older than like 5 years from their crappy store.

That's exactly my policy too. It was extra cool back when Steam refused to give refunds lol. They still don't include any warnings on the store pages that a game will have issues--except for Fallout 3, for some reason

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Shadowrun is FTW

Dec 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shadowrun is FTW

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

is Arachnarox available on PC without any optimisation issues because it's old? I kind of want to take a closer look at it after reading Masters of Doom.

i remember having various issues with it, regarding resolution i think. some GOG games are hosed up a little like i think ultaima underworld 2 or something has the wrong sound font so when u walk it sounds like a marimba and one of the most common songs is hosed up.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

also Anachronox is cool but it sucks rear end and becomes intolerable once you have to start actually playing through the lovely slow combat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

conceitedguy posted:

ultaima underworld 2 or something has the wrong sound font so when u walk it sounds like a marimba

Lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I got Jade Empire

Dec 26, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

also Anachronox is cool but it sucks rear end and becomes intolerable once you have to start actually playing through the lovely slow combat

iirc they patched in a fast forward function

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got desktop dungeons because i liked the free game, and 7 bucks was the cheapest i've seen it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

thats always been how i do it. the old games i somehow end up with on steam are always extremely broken lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

i got desktop dungeons because i liked the free game, and 7 bucks was the cheapest i've seen it

It's incredible there's so much content and it gets brutally challenging. Im sad it only came out on tablets and never phones because it would be the perfect phone game

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
System Cuck

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

drat and this whole time i thought people were talking about a humor website edit: (turns out i was thinking of '9gag')

Dec 26, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

drat and this whole time i thought people were talking about a humor website edit: (turns out i was thinking of '9gag')

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pisstem Shlock Poo

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I'm gonna play this tonight.

Dec 26, 2012

good

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shadowrun is FTW

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

frank.club