Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
democracy... is it really all that good
yes
no
it's kind of ironic to vote on whether democracy is good or bad
View Results

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Representative Constitutional Democracy is bad. Full Internet enabled democracy now. Embrace the tyranny of the majority/hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

people are retarded and my preference is a constitutional republic but we all know what happens when that starts getting hosed up and the pleebs start talking about it like "an old document written by white guys"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

But for realsies Homework Explainer, you're being naive. The CCP has 0 input or accountability from workers, it's an oligarchy plain and simple. It rules through a campaign of suppression and fear, hides what's inconvenient. An example: The truth about how bad soil safety is in China is considered a state secret, even as it is suspected that 1/6 of Chinese farmland has excessive levels of heavy metals. The polluters are obvious, but none will face punishment, because they're tied to local officials. Protests are, naturally, out of the question, because it is China.

Compare that with the reaction to flint, and you see the difference. Liberal democracies, as flawed as they are, are capable of adapting to crises. China can't, because any popular action is automatically interpreted as an existential threat to the CCP itself. It can't leave any opportunity for political change, and so cannot adapt. It will run off a loving cliff if that lets the system of bribes work one second longer.

what do you call this, then. a couple months after word of the soil pollution leaked out. a pilot program, sure, but with the potential for universal implementation if the results are successful. i'd say that's a pretty rapid response.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dude

come on

'potential'

The CCP has had the 'potential' to fix this problem several years ago or, better, not have started it in the first place. It didn't. You know why? Because it's not in their interests. They get their food from their own, special, private and healthy farms. It's an oligarchy, and oligarchies act like greedy little shits, because that's what they're incentivized to do.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Quorum posted:

And I hear some nice-ish things about Tunisia, even though every other country that took part in the Arab Spring has gone to hell in a handbasket. Take your pick I guess.

I'm pretty sure the opposition party demanded a national unity government and about 5000 Tunisians have joined the Islamic State so I wouldn't rank them up there with western democracies.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Homework Explainer posted:

if you've been weaned on a diet of liberal democracy all your life this will sound counter-intuitive but the single-party democracies of cuba, china, etc., paired with their systems of worker control and input probably result in more individual influence in daily life than any of the countries we consider the "freest."

it's easy to call those places "dictatorships" and handwave away their constitutions, their systems of government, the whole apparatus of workers' power. it's a lot harder to examine these places as they are and analyze from that plane instead of "oogah boogah scary tyrantmen"

Listen Bro, I love Cuba. I think the American Imperialist Pigdogs are loving scum for creating that embargo, and it's fantastic what Cuba has done for their own people - and others - with the incredibly limited resources available to them.

But China is poo poo and a dictatorship and doesn't have a care for the people they rule over beyond being a resource to be used.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Op: no

Next question

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

how the gently caress is yes beating no what is wrong with you people

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's hosed up as h*ck, and problematic, to boot.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

rudatron posted:

Compare that with the reaction to flint, and you see the difference. Liberal democracies, as flawed as they are, are capable of adapting to crises.

What? Flint has been a multiple month long shitshow of children being given brain damage and the government not doing anything to help. The correct response to finding out there's poison in the drinking water is to immediately engage in disaster relief, not stand around handwringing while people get sick and the people responsible face no consequences.

It reminds me of Katrina, where, again, America had a huge disaster happen and the government did nothing. That one was really funny because the Cuban government threw together a disaster relief program that was both much larger than what America was doing for its own people, and they did it faster, too. Naturally this help was rejected.

Ultimately America is a bad example of what a democracy can do because it does not actually practice it. Every four years you elect a lying platitude-speaker in the mistaken belief that a president sets his parties' policy instead of the other way around. And the parties themselves do not practice democratic methods of decision making internally; they serve only the rich. The presidential cult of personality sure does wonders, though, in making sure people don't bother to pay attention to legislative elections.

There is also the fact that you have the two party system, which is basically like is the way the Soviet government was indistinguishable from the Communist party, except there are two factions and individuals from each one occasionally switch places. It is better described as The Capitalist Party Of The United States, with an internal division over if racism is cool or not.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

PleasingFungus posted:

it's hosed up as h*ck, and problematic, to boot.

i'm red and nude

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
hello and welcome to liberal democracy, where 99% of the population has no involvement in the political process at all, except twice a decade when they choose a figurehead based on which candidate's unfulfillable promises sound the nicest, and also everyone is lied to all of the time

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

"I voted for <CANDIDATES NAME HERE> and all I got was crippling debt and a crumbling economy!"

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Democracy is overrated.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BITCHTITS posted:

"I voted for <CANDIDATES NAME HERE> and all I got was crippling debt and a crumbling economy!"

Don't blame me, I voted for Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Homework Explainer posted:

it's easy to call those places "dictatorships"

Also correct.

• Locked thread