Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I have a beater truck, a '94 Chevy C2500. It's mostly pretty solid for a truck that's old enough to drink, and being a Southern California truck, it doesn't see road salt, so the panels and frame are okay. But there's this on the roof:

So do I sand it out to bare metal, then prime and paint? Treat it with rust neutralizer and paint? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Jo3sh posted:

I have a beater truck, a '94 Chevy C2500. It's mostly pretty solid for a truck that's old enough to drink, and being a Southern California truck, it doesn't see road salt, so the panels and frame are okay. But there's this on the roof:

So do I sand it out to bare metal, then prime and paint? Treat it with rust neutralizer and paint? Something else?

If it's truly a beater, leave it alone. It's the roof, the part most people don't see.

If you want it fixed properly you need to neutralize it, sand it, add filler, sand again, sand the rest of the roof, mask and tape the rest of the truck, prime, sand, paint, clear. You might be able to eliminate the filler if you use a high build primer. Don't forget to sand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sand out as much as you can, use a converter/neutraliser to help arrest anything left in pits. Then prime and paint. That'll stop it and put you back to a baseline. If you want it to look "nice", treat the prime and paint stages as a "bodywork" exercise rather than just "protecting the metal".

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Depends how long you want to keep the truck and how much money you want to put in. If you don't see yourself owning it in about 5 years, sand it down to bare metal and use any cheap rust killing primer. Otherwise do what the previous posters have said.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
POR-15, followed by paintscratch.com's finest factory color... or just the POR-15 followed by some other topcoat. You could probably roll on Tremclad or Tractor paint with just a quick sanding of the roof. It'll be a 20' paint job, but it's the drat roof.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I'm not hung up on how it looks. It is a beater truck, after all. I just don't want to get to the point that it rusts through and dumps water in the cab. Maybe I'll paint it white to reject some heat from the sun.

Thanks, all.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Two tone time! Get a cool white roof.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just clear coat it Is called patina.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Personally I'd wire wheel rather than sanding, but yeah, just get the rust down to reasonably bare metal, apply rust converter paint, and you're done, depending on whether you want to go full beater mode or actually attempt to match the paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Personally I'd wire wheel rather than sanding, but yeah, just get the rust down to reasonably bare metal, apply rust converter paint, and you're done, depending on whether you want to go full beater mode or actually attempt to match the paint.
I find the "polished" surface left by a wire wheel isn't quite as good for painting, but I agree, it is very effective for rust removal (Clean-n-Strip discs are best of both worlds, though).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just like it because it doesn't have a tendency to strip metal just as well as it does rust, like sanding does. A light sanding just to provide something for the paint to stick to after wirewheeling most of the rust off wouldn't hurt, you're right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just cut the roof off. It's a roadster now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I just like it because it doesn't have a tendency to strip metal just as well as it does rust, like sanding does. A light sanding just to provide something for the paint to stick to after wirewheeling most of the rust off wouldn't hurt, you're right.
Mmm, agreed.

• Locked thread