Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
This started off as me complaining about Comcast's poo poo internet in the Bay Area thread and got a little too tech support-y so I'm moving my grievances here.

Despite paying for the 10Mbps Comcast package, all of my devices (win laptop, phone, tablet, mac air) are getting about 100-500 Kbps down (testing on fast.com, I just got 59Kbps). Trying to isolate the problem, I pulled out an old laptop running ubuntu that has an ethernet port so I could bypass the router. I did a quick check of its wireless DL speed before proceeding, and--holy poo poo! It's getting 10-12Mbps down on multiple tests. So now I'm not sure what the common element is here, if all my devices except the old lovely laptop are getting awful DL speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do other devices get good speeds when plugged in? What router are you using? Do you get different performance by changing the WiFi channel?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
None of the other devices have ethernet ports so I can't confirm. The ubuntu laptop gets 10Mbps wirelessly. It's a belkin n150 router.

channel 1: 160Kbps on this device
channel 6: 250Kbps
channel 11: 280Kbps

This varies quite a lot though, sometimes I get 75Kbps and sometimes I get 1.3Mbps.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest router firmware:
http://www.belkin.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000002wBTXAA2

Also, what kind of modem?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'd also fire up a thing like scrutinizer or inSSIDer and see how much wireless interference you're getting.

Do you live in a densely populated area (i.e. codos/apartment buildings) or less dense like burbs? I'm guessing not rural since you said bay area.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MF_James posted:

I'd also fire up a thing like scrutinizer or inSSIDer and see how much wireless interference you're getting.

Do you live in a densely populated area (i.e. codos/apartment buildings) or less dense like burbs? I'm guessing not rural since you said bay area.

Yeah I live in an apartment complex with 20 nearby units. Modem's a Cisco DPC3008.

I was sure I had the latest firmware update for that router, but interestingly, when I went to the dashboard it informed me there was an update available. I installed it again, and it promptly brought me back to the dashboard and informed me there was an update available. Not sure what that is. It says my current firmware is 5.00.09, Apr 16 2013, but the latest (and the one I've 'installed' several times now) is 5.03.15 . Not sure what's going on there.

I downloaded inSSIDer for Home and ran it--but all I'm getting on the network tab is a blank with "All Networks are currently filtered" across the top.

e: I'm currently downloading scrutinizer but it's 450MB so it's going to take an hour.

e2: Scratch that, I got on the mac and got NetSpot. I don't know how useful any of this information is but none of the numbers look incredibly out of the ordinary, based on all the other nearby networks (there are 42 detected): 62% signal, 8% noise. Here's a graph:

e3: I used Safari and it let me install the firmware. Still getting 160Kbps.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 17, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

I downloaded inSSIDer for Home and ran it--but all I'm getting on the network tab is a blank with "All Networks are currently filtered" across the top.

Try this version on the Windows laptop if you haven't already:
http://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/download-inssider-win.html

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Zogo posted:

Try this version on the Windows laptop if you haven't already:
http://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/download-inssider-win.html

I have that one too but it asks for a registration key when you open it.

e: Whatever the problem is seems to hit in waves. I was just having extreme difficulty loading any pages on the win laptop, checked and was getting 18Kbps. The mac a minute later was getting 250Kbps and when I re-checked the win laptop, it was getting 98, then 65, then 120Kbps.

I mean if the answer here is "just get a new router" I have some amazon gift cards to spend. I think the one other thing I could try is a factory reset of the current router, unless you guys think it's probably something else, interference/etc. Why this doesn't affect the ubuntu laptop I wouldn't be able to say though.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

I have that one too but it asks for a registration key when you open it.

Try this one: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/downloadnow/5936/?evp=905ced4c089662c30ab1e8abb195fc3e&file=1

Another router would definitely be something to try if the WiFi looks okay in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

That's the one I have that says that all networks are filtered when there are no filters on.

• Locked thread