Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Problem description: I have three monitors active on my machine. I use the middle for games and media, left for internet browsing, and the right for Steam, BNet, etc. At random, my machine will stop responding to any commands from my mouse or keyboard except for whatever application I'm am currently using. For instance, if I have Steam and Chrome open, and I'm messing with Steam, Chrome will stop responding to my mouse or keys. This includes the desktop, preventing me from opening any apps or using the Task Manager. The only way I have found to fix this is to either restart or sign out of my windows user and sign back in. There are times when this won't happen for days, and there are times when it will occur as soon as I start up.

Attempted fixes: Googled extensively and asked savvy friends, ran CCCleaner, Avast, Malware Bytes.

Recent changes: Nothing recent

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64x

System specs: Intel i7-2600K 3.40 ghz, NVIDIA GTX TITAN, Compaq WF1907 Wide LCD monitor, HP w1907 LCD monitor, Samsung s22c350 monitor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This usually indicates a failing harddrive, post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP) window for your system drive.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I also have an issue when I do restart, where the boot tells me I'm overheating and I have to enter and exit BIOS to get the machine to really start. Not to mention it takes an average of 9 minutes to start my machine up.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I also have an issue when I do restart, where the boot tells me I'm overheating and I have to enter and exit BIOS to get the machine to really start. Not to mention it takes an average of 9 minutes to start my machine up.

If your windows 10 machine takes 9 minutes, on average, to boot there is definitely an issue. Have you updated the bios at all?

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 16, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Your harddrive isn't logging any errors, check CPU Core temperatures with CPUID Hardware Monitor. Maybe it really is just overheating. Opening it up and dusting out all the vents, fans, and heatsinks with a canned air duster would probably also be good on general principle.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I grabbed a SSD on sale and put a fresh install of windows on it. Same issues, including the overheating warning. It specifically called out the ssd, which was ice cold.

So i swapped it to a different port and have yet to have any issues of any kind. Might have just been an issue with the port, ill let you know in a day if anything changes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Which port was it connected to? Check the motherboard manual to confirm you are using an Intel SATA port, if your motherboard has a Marvell controller for example it can't be used. It's common for there to be a pair of different colored ports like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'll check that out. Come to think of it, these issues didn't start until I had to reinstall a new mobo (same model) that was damaged by a house guest. It's possible there are ports that won't work and I plugged them in wrong.

• Locked thread