Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkelberger
Jun 8, 2014
Hello friends! I'm in a bit of a situation right now and would like some advice, I didn't see a megathread for these types of questions but if I missed it please let me know and I'll close the thread.

For some background info:I applied for a control room job at the major power company in my area back in late April. They gave me a phone interview in mid-may, then invited me to their headquarters to take a pre-employment technical exam. I passed this and was invited back for a site tour and face-to-face interview. I feel the interview went well and they told me it would be about 2 weeks before they decided on who they would hire. I gave HR call 16 days later, and was told that they were still interviewing and would decide soon. Last week, the person I interviewed with ( he will be making the decision on who to hire) called me to ask if I was still interested, I told him that I was very interested and haven't heard back since.

I'm currently employed so I don't mind the long wait on them deciding to hire me or not, however I'm worried about calling too much and harassing my would-be boss. The same company has recently posted the same position but in a different suburb of my city, is it inappropriate to apply for this job as well, while I am still in a pending status for the position I initially applied for? I'm reluctant to call the hiring manager back so soon, but if that is the best bet I will go ahead and give him a call to see where I'm at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

drunkelberger posted:

Hello friends! I'm in a bit of a situation right now and would like some advice, I didn't see a megathread for these types of questions but if I missed it please let me know and I'll close the thread.

For some background info:I applied for a control room job at the major power company in my area back in late April. They gave me a phone interview in mid-may, then invited me to their headquarters to take a pre-employment technical exam. I passed this and was invited back for a site tour and face-to-face interview. I feel the interview went well and they told me it would be about 2 weeks before they decided on who they would hire. I gave HR call 16 days later, and was told that they were still interviewing and would decide soon. Last week, the person I interviewed with ( he will be making the decision on who to hire) called me to ask if I was still interested, I told him that I was very interested and haven't heard back since.

I'm currently employed so I don't mind the long wait on them deciding to hire me or not, however I'm worried about calling too much and harassing my would-be boss. The same company has recently posted the same position but in a different suburb of my city, is it inappropriate to apply for this job as well, while I am still in a pending status for the position I initially applied for? I'm reluctant to call the hiring manager back so soon, but if that is the best bet I will go ahead and give him a call to see where I'm at.

Don't apply to the other posting. Keep calling and maybe even mention you saw the other posting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's perfectly fine to ping the hiring manager and ask them if it's the same position or not. I would e-mail and not call though. Be sincere and polite. You're not going to torpedo anything. Worst case scenario is status quo.

drunkelberger
Jun 8, 2014
Thank you guys for the replies, the hiring manager ended up calling me on Monday to say the had one more interview this week and they'd have job offers out next week. Hopefully some good news coming!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Did you get it? I like happy endings :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

For future advice theres nothing wrong with asking them if they would prefer you to check on things by phone or email before you leave the interview. They'll tell you if they want you to shut up and sit tight.

• Locked thread