Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig guts

supposed to just bring her or what. according to the airline's website, you just bring the cat, like a carry on or something. but i feel like that'd be a little weird. can we talk about our experiences flying with cats? i need her with me. she's my world. my everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
some people put contraband into condoms and then swallow them or stow them in their anus. how big is your cat?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
also: how long can your cat hold it's breath?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I CAN NEVER GET TIRED OF ALL THESE MUTHAFUCKIN' CATS ON THIS MUTHAFUCKIN' PLANE!!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

pig guts

Luvcow posted:

some people put contraband into condoms and then swallow them or stow them in their anus. how big is your cat?

she's pretty little but i don't think that would work

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

pig guts posted:

she's pretty little but i don't think that would work

maybe type up some official looking documents that say that your cat is a "therapy cat" and it needs to be with you at all times

MrWillsauce

what if people on the plane are allergic and the cat dander gets in the recirculated air and they die

alnilam

MrWillsauce posted:

what if people on the plane are allergic and the cat dander gets in the recirculated air and they die

Then they shouldn't have been on the plane

MrWillsauce

yeah I know it's their fault I'm just saying it would be tragic

tazjin

I saw the icon after I read the title and yes OP, you are cute :peanut:

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Tuck the cat into your sweater and carry your bundle of cuddles on the plane with you.

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
as magpie suggested keep it up your sleeve so you can deploy your cat if there's an emergency cuteness deficit

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
"oh no a deadly poisonous bird has appeared on our plane!"

*op lightly pets their sleeve and prepares their cat, confident they can save the day*

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

lmbo

pig guts

December Octopodes posted:

as magpie suggested keep it up your sleeve so you can deploy your cat if there's an emergency cuteness deficit

but i'd have to deploy her all the time then

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I did that once. Our cat was really nervous and wouldn't stop crying until the TSA guy wanted to check the carrier and we had to take the cat out. She took one look at the airport, clawed her way back in and hid under her blanket quietly for the whole flight. She was also traumatized for a few days.

mags

Deploying your cat sounds like a cute activity

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming

pig guts posted:

but i'd have to deploy her all the time then

this is the price we pay for freedom

joke_explainer

I have flown with a cat.

You need a specialized pet carrier for it. This is a carry-on piece of luggage designed to carry your cat.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-Delta-Deluxe-Carrier-Medium/dp/B000633ZOY/

That one will carry even a pretty big cat.

You generally have to pay extra for toting a cat with you. Check with the airline.

You will want to go to the vet and tell them you are taking the cat on a flight. They will prescribe you xanax for your cat. This may sound unnecessary but some cats loving HATE flying and will tear the container to pieces if they aren't medicated in some ways. This makes it less stressful for them and less stressful for you worrying about how bad the flight is traumatizing it. The last cat I flew with was a little anxious until the xanax kicked in then just slept through the whole flight.

joke_explainer

Put like a shirt you've worn or something in there with them too to just give them something comforting to smell.

joke_explainer

If this was meant to be a kicking off point for great cat + airplane jokes I'm really sorry, I wasn't sure.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
seems like a condom and a drug mule strategy would be cheaper but yours is def more humane

:shrug:

joke_explainer

Luvcow posted:

seems like a condom and a drug mule strategy would be cheaper but yours is def more humane

:shrug:

It's good brainstorming and I like thinking outside of the box. But I see five major issues.

• Cats are larger than the largest condoms, in general, making it very difficult or even impossible to fit one around a cat.
  • Cats require oxygen to breath, so you'd need to provide probably at a minimum 5 hours of breathable air supply for your cat and some method of scrubbing/storing CO2 from your cat. This additional life support pack would take up more room in the already overstuffed condom.
  • The resultant package of Cat plus life support system would be too large to swallow. Most humans with a normal-sized esophagus aren't Tarrare and can't swallow a whole live cat.
  • Cats have teeth and many have claws. Condoms are generally made of latex, a material which doesn't handle sharp edges very well. The cat could very quickly penetrate the condom.
  • Cats don't like having their freedom to move being limited. They tend to resist. So after they've torn through the condom, they may not realize they are doing damage to you. On an airplane you can be effectively medically stranded, and having a live cat tearing up your insides could be a very serious medical condition.

But if you got around these problems, maybe you'd figure out a better and safer way for everyone to transport their pets? Right now, even just the life support system would be a significant investment. I don't think anything like that currently exists outside of specialized spacefaring equipment. But I believe in you Luvcow! I'm sure you'll figure out a solution.

joke_explainer

mister magpie posted:

Deploying your cat sounds like a cute activity

That's what we all thought until the government started shipping our cats to Afghanistan. Nobody thought it was cute then. :ohdear:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

It's good brainstorming and I like thinking outside of the box. But I see five major issues.

Cats are larger than the largest condoms, in general, making it very difficult or even impossible to fit one around a cat.

you may be right but perhaps it is a very small cat and perhaps human beings have made ludicrously large condoms

joke_explainer posted:

Cats require oxygen to breath, so you'd need to provide probably at a minimum 5 hours of breathable air supply for your cat and some method of scrubbing/storing CO2 from your cat. This additional life support pack would take up more room in the already overstuffed condom.

ludicrously large condom may be able to handle breathing tech

joke_explainer posted:

The resultant package of Cat plus life support system would be too large to swallow. Most humans with a normal-sized esophagus aren't Tarrare and can't swallow a whole live cat.

again you may be right but human beings continually amaze me at what they can accomplish (my example would be goatse)

joke_explainer posted:

Cats have teeth and many have claws. Condoms are generally made of latex, a material which doesn't handle sharp edges very well. The cat could very quickly penetrate the condom.

carefully administered cat sleeping potion like the a-team used to do with mr. t's milk

joke_explainer posted:

Cats don't like having their freedom to move being limited. They tend to resist. So after they've torn through the condom, they may not realize they are doing damage to you. On an airplane you can be effectively medically stranded, and having a live cat tearing up your insides could be a very serious medical condition.

see my mr. t example above

i'm just spitballing here but i'm hoping the OP will oblige and maybe experiment with some of the ideas we've come up with here

Afro Doug

it's pretty easy to find somebody to hook you up with a counterfeit air marshall badge. pm me if you need help.

MrWillsauce

ok but where on the cat do you pin the badge?

joke_explainer

MrWillsauce posted:

ok but where on the cat do you pin the badge?

um.. on the collar? obviously? or on the cat marshal's holster if he's a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
If cat has a pilot's license, she can fly the plane and then nobody will be any the wiser.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
The FBI came to my house because my cat got a pilot's license but he only learned how to take off. Once they saw he was a cat they left, because all cats know how to land safely. I probably shouldn't have named my cat Mohammed but I had to because he looks just like Mohammed.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
If your cat is named Shoe Bomb? Yeah, you're probably going to want to change that name before you try and get him on the flight with you.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
XOJane: It Happened To Me: My Cat Is On the No-Fly List

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Bad names for your cat:

Shoe Bomb
Meowhammad Atta
3.5 Oz. of Fluid (American Shorthair)
101 mL of Fluid (European Shorthair)
Cockpit Killah
Jack Shephard

Good names for your cat:

Baby Silencer
Gives You The Aisle Seat
Extra Miles
Floatation Device
Sully
Parachute

----------------

mags

misty mountaintop posted:

Bad names for your cat:

Shoe Bomb
Meowhammad Atta
3.5 Oz. of Fluid (American Shorthair)
101 mL of Fluid (European Shorthair)
Cockpit Killah
Jack Shephard

Good names for your cat:

Baby Silencer
Gives You The Aisle Seat
Extra Miles
Floatation Device
Sully
Parachute

lol

mags

DO: have your cat review the emergency exit procedure if seated in an exit seat.

DON'T: have your cat wear a keffiyeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
consider shaving your cat, especially if their beard is getting long as the airlines like to racially profile exceptionally floofy cats

• Locked thread