Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

My favorite thing about emulated Mario 64 is how awful Mario's far away model looks in high resolution to be honest. On an actual 480i screen it looks fine but when you're rendering the game at a larger internal resolution than 240p things get a bit wonky.

Go on a ghost hunt is one of my favorite stars in the game, probably because it feels real nice that the boos in the level all have blue coins.

And I have to disagree and say LLL is probably the coolest level in the game due to the shell surfing on the lava being rad as hell. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mordaedil posted:

It puzzles me that we gave a fully functional and superior WiiU-Wii-and-GameCube emulator while the N64 emulators we have are all poo poo.

It puzzles me too but from what I hear, N64 emulation is a nightmare. Basically, the N64 is a magical mystery machine and getting games to run on it requires either baked-in game-specific hacks to be applied upon launch, or a sizable amount of game configuration to be done and applied to a game-specific .ini file. For example, in Majora's Mask, if you don't want the in-game numerical timers (for minigames and stuff, not the actual 3-day cycle clock) to not run at twice the speed, you have to go into the game configuration files and set some "Vi Refresh Rate" option to a specific value in order to best emulate proper seconds. And even then it's ever so slightly off sync but it's good enough. (The minigame timer actually controls how fast things move in the minigames too. Try doing the shooting galleries with everything going double-speed...)

And that's just getting actual N64 games to work. Most people here probably know about romhacking and well, romhacks of SM64 are pretty common these days. In my experience though, getting them to actually function in an emulator feels like a crapshoot. Usually SM64's original settings are enough to get them working if you're lucky, but sometimes you have to enable the Expansion Pak in the settings or other weird functions. Sometimes the .ppf patches they use to distribute hacks don't even seem to work!

Ah well. At least SM64 on its own is generally pretty good through emulation. Artix is lucky he doesn't have to deal with getting romhacks to work on top of the weirdness the base game already presents on occasion.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FPzero posted:

Ah well. At least SM64 on its own is generally pretty good through emulation. Artix is lucky he doesn't have to deal with getting romhacks to work on top of the weirdness the base game already presents on occasion.

Yeah, it'd be a real pain if he decided to mix in some romhacks to show them off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, it'd be a real pain if he decided to mix in some romhacks to show them off.

Using romhacks cheapens the experience. :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FoolyCharged posted:

if I'm feeling really saucy I might show off a romhack or two toward the end of the game, but like FP said, they come with a whole host of problems. Just from loving around with them in the past (see my Super DK64 series as an example), not only does that require the expansion pack to be added, it also brings up a whole host of other mechanical issues. To pick on Super DK64 a bit, the ability to swing on vines is a big thing in that game, and when they ported it over to the Mario 64 engine, that mechanic was lost entirely. So now you have to climb, circle around, and aim with a camera that desperately needs to calm the gently caress down, which is absolute clusterfuck. And that's just from a game that actually exists and was just being ported over! You can imagine how much worse it can get when you're dealing with completely original and fair level design.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FPzero posted:

It puzzles me too but from what I hear, N64 emulation is a nightmare. Basically, the N64 is a magical mystery machine and getting games to run on it requires either baked-in game-specific hacks to be applied upon launch, or a sizable amount of game configuration to be done and applied to a game-specific .ini file.

Does anybody have any good articles / blogs / ??? about this?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

Does anybody have any good articles / blogs / ??? about this?

This wiki is a good place to start, I think. It briefly goes over the quirks of the N64's hardware, although it doesn't get too in depth. This one has a bit more information about specific emulators and their quirks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Aw man, the lava bouncing made sure that Lethal Lava Land was always one of my favourites, although I swear it was bigger when I was a kid. But I suppose everything seems bigger to a kid.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I spent several years convinced that it was impossible to catch that rabbit.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KieranWalker posted:

This wiki is a good place to start, I think. It briefly goes over the quirks of the N64's hardware, although it doesn't get too in depth. This one has a bit more information about specific emulators and their quirks.

Thanks!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 5: Hazy Maze Cave and Shifting Sand Land :siren:

Sorry about that delay, but we're back! Today I'm joined by Nine-Gear Crow as we tackle the rest of the main basement levels.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I really do like the pyramid slide's aesthetic. When I played the game for the first time at probably 8 or 9 years old I didn't realize that it was all a reference to SMB3's desert tileset. It wasn't until a few years later after playing through SMB3 entirely that I had that realization.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So thread, what's your theories about what kind of liquid is in the pool you jump into to reach the Hazy Maze Cave?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Liquid mercury?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I for one loved the slides in Mario 64, and wish there were more of them in the later Mario games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Tall Tall Mountain slide is definitely some bullshit, both from a design standpoint as well as the fact that you have to schlepp all the way up there without grabbing too many coins so that the 100 coin star doesn't spawn in the middle of it. I like the Castle slide and the Cool Cool Mountain slide, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: Dire Dire Docks and Bowser in the Fire Sea :siren:

Chaos Argate joins me as we finish up the basement. Next time, we're off to the upper floors!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

There actually is a Metal Cap texture for the Wing Cap wings, which is the only extra texture the game really needs, and it functions perfectly fine*, but for whatever reason combining caps is only Metal/Vanish.

*Actually, I'm completely guessing here. I'm trying to find a video of someone using both caps via hacking and I am failing miserably

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Kirby 64 is still pretty dang good looking imo, thanks to the colors and simplicity of the polygons

I guess you could use the combined Metal/Wing caps to fly through a tunnel of fire or something silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
gently caress you, Shadows of the Empire is a beautiful N64 game and I have the LP to prove it.

• Locked thread