Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I made a Neocron thread awhile ago, for the evolution 2.2 server. Well, I've gotten some news that a team of coders is going to be hosting a Neocron 1 server. With permission from Kirk, of course.

What does this mean? Well, they're trying to get as close as possible to how Neocron was before 2.0/DoY released. This means old character models/animations, old weapon models, old spell and weapon effects. There will be no DoY or WoC or unfinished poo poo that dragged the game down after they were sold right before the 2.0 release.

I doubt more than a handful of you care, but for those that remember the hayday of Neocron, this is some pretty exciting news!

Go to https://forum.neocron.org/ and wait for the beta sign ups in a few weeks.

E: url works now

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I played this game for a very long time during the Neocron 2 days. I am still to this day very good friends with a number of players and staff that used to play. This game was fantastic during it's prime but sadly has lost its appeal with waning player numbers.

Very much interested in seeing how this goes.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I played for a while on Saturn in the pre-2.0/DoY days. I considered coming back and trying the game some time later because I remembered how fun the PVP was, unfortunately this was past the point of being able to recover my capped and filthy rich characters and I had no interest in grinding up from the beginning.

Things that I remember being fun:
Being one of only a few serious CQB spies in the game, resulting in some interesting fights from being underestimated
Hunting cloaky dudes trying to gank newbies at the military base (the bad ones anyways, the max coward guys were annoying)
Playing border games in the redlight district, testing new setups and helldunking terrible German RPers who were trying to play as drug kingpins
Owning almost the entire map at one point

Things I remember enjoying for some reason but God knows why now:
Farming those drat robot things for implant parts
The poison caves
The fire caves
Any and all PVE basically

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The 2.2 server is still up. It's just that it has a peak of like 30 people at most. That and the GIANT PATCH has been right around the corner for months now. I have a feeling the NC1 group will get more done, faster.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

is this another one of those games i can pay to help develop?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

No.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Get your lovely rear end money out of my thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember Neocron having a hella steep learning curve and being very hard to understand with really odd mechanics. That said it had fantastic atmosphere and was one of the more unique MMORPG's at the time it came out. Neocron just never got the support it required for a game of its size.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
How is Neoncron 2 doing? From what I remember, it's still going and it's pay2play. Wish I played this instead of Face of Mankind.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 21, 2016

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

NC2 still has a following among its die-hard fans. As Kazvall said, probably averages 30-players on the server at peak. Apparently there's still op fights happening etc.

Fairly certain, and feel free to correct me, but I believe the game is now free to play. No cash shop or anything. They just made the game free.

I wish Face of Mankind was still around. That was a fun game too.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
psting in a kazval and alexander delarge thrtead

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

NC2 is free and player run. It's really quite good, actually. All I know is, people have been wanting a NC1 server for 10 years and I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

If anyone wants to play 2.2, I can help you out.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
What did they end up adding with NC2? When I was playing it was kind of a running joke that nobody was sure was ever going to get released, but the main things I remember being talked about were higher level caps and extending the northern end of the map/adding Dome of York as a new city.

Did they improve the newbie experience at all or do you still spend hours in sewers and then that basement in the main plaza?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DoY was a big part. They changed all the anti-city spawns to be there. Changing from DX7 to DX9. WoC was added, so all the armor/weapons/gear/whatever that WoC involves. Regants, Ceres Labs, DoY Tunnels, and so forth were added. The problem was is WoC and other balancing aspects were never finished...

The content in NC2 was originally supposed to be a free expansion, for a subscription based game. Sometime during development of it, while they were at least halfway if not more through, the company was bought out. I believe they may have lost employees during this time, and perhaps even important coders for the game. New management underestimated how much needed to be done. WoC was never fully implemented. Certain balance choices were banaid fixed together. Not to mention DX9 actually took a lot of character out of the game. Many of the models for characters, and guns were better before the change. This was mainly due to the limited character model assets. I assume more models went unfinished. Switching broke poo poo. Like there was no longer a reflection on the floor in your apartment, or you couldn't change the color of your clothes at the outfitter anymore.

Not to mention, for a good length of time, their whole billing system was down/didn't work. You couldn't even pay to play the game. If by some miracle, if you had an account, and it had renewed around the time of the problem.. you could play for free! This went on for at least 6 months to a year.

Having half the population(anti city factions) spawn in DoY was an interesting idea. I think people soon realized WoC was only really beneficial to certain classes. Hybrid monks were no longer possible, and PEs no longer had an interesting edge. The population dropped to the point where it couldn't support being split to two cities, and once again everyone was brought back to Neocron.

It's a real testament to the atmosphere and creativity of this game, that people are still playing it, and working on it.

Now, NC2 is free and player run. A lot has been fixed and changed from the ground up. The game had the most archaic 90s game code. A lot of it is was in germinglish. There had been banaids fixed on banaids, in a ball of broken, bleeding yarn. Yet, they've made giant under-the-hood progress and all that is left to do is test on the test server. I made the mistake of getting goons to try the game a year or so ago, thinking the big patch was coming soon. It has not come soon, lol.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kazvall posted:

DoY was a big part. They changed all the anti-city spawns to be there. Changing from DX7 to DX9. WoC was added, so all the armor/weapons/gear/whatever that WoC involves. Regants, Ceres Labs, DoY Tunnels, and so forth were added. The problem was is WoC and other balancing aspects were never finished

All of those words/acronyms are familiar to me in that I know they would have meant something to me 12(?) years ago. Shame it sounds like they did away with the old anti-city spawns. My tank was originally TG (I think? Can't remember what that stood for) for power leveling purposes (I was in a TT corp), so I had an apartment in the canyon that I would use for revenge ganking whenever TG corps raided the city leveling grounds. Good times.

quote:

Not to mention, for a good length of time, their whole billing system was down/didn't work. You couldn't even pay to play the game. If by some miracle, if you had an account, and it had renewed around the time of the problem.. you could play for free! This went on for at least 6 months to a year.
:stare:

quote:

Hybrid monks were no longer possible, and PEs no longer had an interesting edge.

Hybrid monks were pretty rare when I was playing, but most of the elitepvp types had a PE character for dicking around in the red-light district. OP fights were basically Monkocron. APUs had some annoying quirks like instant targeting from behind cover that made the APU+PPU combo basically unstoppable vs most small groups.

quote:

A lot of it is was in germinglish. ... thinking the big patch was coming soon. It has not come soon, lol.
Well it sounds like at least one thing didn't change :haw:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
I played this game and had tons of fun as a PPU and a liberator PI. That being said I tried to come back when the other player run community first released and even saw some goons in that game ... but I couldn't. It really didn't age well and I have no interest in pokes or recycling or killing those robots for gun parts or holding those guild hold point thingies anymore. I do hope this is fun and good for goons that can appreciate it though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Morris posted:

All of those words/acronyms are familiar to me in that I know they would have meant something to me 12(?) years ago. Shame it sounds like they did away with the old anti-city spawns. My tank was originally TG (I think? Can't remember what that stood for) for power leveling purposes (I was in a TT corp), so I had an apartment in the canyon that I would use for revenge ganking whenever TG corps raided the city leveling grounds. Good times.

TG still spawns canyon, Mercs at military base.

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I played this game and had tons of fun as a PPU and a liberator PI. That being said I tried to come back when the other player run community first released and even saw some goons in that game ... but I couldn't. It really didn't age well and I have no interest in pokes or recycling or killing those robots for gun parts or holding those guild hold point thingies anymore. I do hope this is fun and good for goons that can appreciate it though.

These are all things I can appreciate. MMOs are so hosed these days. I doubt we'll see something in a Neocron vein that comes out. Until then, we'll have to see how the future of NC1 and NC2 are.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

The atmosphere of this game is something I feel very nostalgic about. The world was huge and varied. A lot of what was there was heavily underused (Neocron sewers comes to mind). But that, I feel, was part of it's charm. Wandering around the lost and forgotten corners of the world that had a true post-apocalyptic feeling that I've not found in many other games.

Playing this however would be interesting.. They've migrated from the old servers to a new server called Titan. All characters previously held on the old servers have been wiped. So I believe everyone started from scratch. Not sure I'd like to spend the time required to level up again.

Though a load of my friends still play and I keep getting encouraged to make a new character and for them to level me up in a Rhino. :ohdear:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Tangerines posted:

The atmosphere of this game is something I feel very nostalgic about. The world was huge and varied. A lot of what was there was heavily underused (Neocron sewers comes to mind). But that, I feel, was part of it's charm. Wandering around the lost and forgotten corners of the world that had a true post-apocalyptic feeling that I've not found in many other games.

Playing this however would be interesting.. They've migrated from the old servers to a new server called Titan. All characters previously held on the old servers have been wiped. So I believe everyone started from scratch. Not sure I'd like to spend the time required to level up again.

Though a load of my friends still play and I keep getting encouraged to make a new character and for them to level me up in a Rhino. :ohdear:

The sewers weren't that underused. I would run through them from time to time and beat newbs to death with a 5 slot baseball bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

I'm talking about the really janky bits of the sewers. The main sewer network was huge and connected area's in the Outzone to various points in the main areas of Neocron. There were zonelines that made no sense and would take you to a completely different place if you went back through them the other way. There was one zoneline I remember that if you crossed, you'd instantly cross back over when you loaded the other side. This resulted in a permanent switching between the two zones and required you to be teleported by a GM.

• Locked thread