Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Background:

Worked as a CAD designer/administrator in the oil and gas industry for 8yrs. Made redundant in March, currently a full-time student. Before that, I was doing some basic web development stuff that is probably no longer relevant.
I've been studying a BSc Hons in Computing & IT with Product Design as a Second Subject degree (bit of a mouthful...) at The Open University while working, and I'll likely graduate with a First at the end of the year - doesn't help me much as I'm looking for work now.

Problem:
I'm tired of CAD and the oil and gas industry: I don't feel like I can further my career in it without getting an engineering degree.

I want to change career and I'm not 100% sure what to go for. I'm most interested in UX, interaction design, and product design. My CV has some transferable skills, but I don't know whether to be going for graduate level stuff or mid tier jobs. I have a graduate's understanding of Java, but I don't feel very passionate about it. I have a basic understanding of the web stack. At the moment my skillset feels broad but shallow, which doesn't make targeting jobs easy, especially since I'm likely entering an entirely different industry.

Any advice appreciated, particularly related to getting into UX or interaction design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have you considered immigration law?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If I'd known...

• Locked thread