Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
I have an Android tablet (only has wi-fi, no mobile data card) and I want to totally destroy a preinstalled app. How can I do that?

The app is Wildtangent games, and it keeps starting up at random times or when I click links in the web browser.
I only tried using it once, and found that the games were rigged and filled with ads.
It sucks greasy horse cock, I never ever want to use it again, and I have already tried disabling it but that doesn't work. It still keeps starting itself every few days.
The apps browser still lists all the permissions it has, and I can't find any way to take them away. This poo poo MUST be written in there somewhere......???????
NONE of the other apps ever have this problem of starting for no reason, at all. It is Wildtangent being a loving piece of poo poo.
As can be expected, the Wildtangent help is useless.
So I want it 100% dead, or gone.

My expertise level: I have some programming college--I can write C/C++/Java and a few others. I have written a few small joke apps in Android Studio, and even loaded some of them on this same tablet. I don't really know a whole lot about how Android works tho.

Now then:
What I have considered, but not tried--
1. Placing all the Wildtangent program files in a new sub-folder, so it can't be called? Or will the Android updates just find it? Or reinstall it??? ,,,,,,,
2. Doing #1 above and then generating a new android app that does nothing, and naming it the same name and putting it in the original place? So Android still thinks it's there?
3. Is there a system registry in Android that says what is supposed to be there? How can I edit that?

Pretty much all the web pages that claim to say how to do this, just say "you can't do this, it is 100% impossible, because of mystery reasons we don't explain". Or it says "download our app, and then suck our balls, because we will put even more poo poo-ware on your device".
No thanks.
I don't want another app to do this; I got one too many apps as it is. Perhaps uninstalling it cannot be done by hand, but BREAKING it should be possible to do manually, I would assume. Malware does that all the time, does it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Head on over to the Inspect Your Gadgets forum.

• Locked thread