Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all.

I've been running this computer for a good 3 years now and it's never been formatted. I've got a tonne of crap on here, so I want to format it and reinstall windows 10.

I have an internal SSD and an internal HDD.

I put everything that I would like to keep on the HDD (backups, software installers etc.)

I would like to format the SSD (but not the HDD), reinstall Win10, then copy the backups\installers from the HDD back onto the SSD and set it all up.

I tried going into Windows and doing the "Reset" thing, but it said it wasn't going to work. I've heard that does a crappy job anyway, so let's do this properly. I've got some questions before I destroy my afternoon tomorrow:

#1) This version of Win10 was upgraded from a version of Windows 7. I've since lost the product key from that version of Win7 because I'm highly intelligent. Is there a way of finding out what my product key is?

#2) I figure the safest way of making sure I don't lose anything from the HDD would be to disconnect the HDD, format\install Win10 on the SSD then re-connect the HDD. Will doing that mess with the Win10 activation?

#3) How do I make sure Win10 doesn't gently caress up activating itself like it did for me on my other computer?

#4) How do I make sure Win10 doesn't gently caress up activating itself?

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think you're going to have to reinstall Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10. I called MS when I had a similar situation, and they wouldn't budge.

Anyway, I'm a little rusty with this, but how is Magical Jelly Bean these days? I'd try that (in 10), but I'm not sure that will get your WIndows 7 key. They have an Extractor: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Otherwise, this is Microsoft's guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1235b5b0-bf94-4b77-9cbd-1c1a8337070c/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1

The guide does suggest a restore may work. At which point, you could run the extractor and get your key.

Anyway, I'm guessing this is a PC you built yourself. If it isn't, you could probably do a factory restore and once again run the extractor. Worst case scenario, you need to get your hands on a new key, and there was a guy selling them in SA-Mart.

Let's see here... #2 - No, you should be fine, you're just attaching a new drive. #3. Reformat your hard drive, install Windows 7, then upgrade. That's the cleanest you can do unfortunately. #4. See #3.

EDIT: Check this out

quote:

I also just wanted to mention that we don't even have to put it in at the media creation tool point - I actually installed Windows 10 fresh after creating a thumb drive with the install, installed Windows 10, and then used a key I'd bought from you to activate. Apparently since late last year/early this year, they've changed the installation to allow post-install activation using an equivalent key from Windows 7.

And there's the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 2, 2016

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Assuming the motherboard is the same - which it is - you can just get an OEM copy of Windows 10 that has a skippable product key prompt on install, and it'll activate just fine. Make sure it's the November update, though (1511)

• Locked thread