Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Problem description: I've only seen this issue while playing FFXIV but it might happen elsewhere. Haven't seen it while playing videos or listening to music all day. A pop, that kinda sounds like fumbling the plugging in of a speaker/headphones, comes out of the speakers and the audio appears to have died completely but it's actually just gone down to like 1% irrespective of what the system says the volume is. Turning my speakers to max I can hear sound effects from the game or from other audio sources. I usually don't do this because a) it's still like a fifth the audio level what I usually use and b) the issue will sometimes resolve itself with another pop, and I don't need to be deafened by a louder pop and 100% sound from my computer.

Attempted fixes: I've run through the Windows audio troubleshooter thing, I've tried disabling and re-enabling the playback device, unplugging and plugging back in speakers, buying new speakers, switching audio jacks. It will occasionally, after some time, resolve itself but sometimes doesn't and haven't been able to pin down a cause of either behavior (the issue or the issue resolving seemingly randomly). I've also disabled the sound effects and attenuation in Discord, which is usually running in the background but I don't use it that much right now. I've disabled all non-used playback and recording devices in Windows' sound menu, and also tried removing the (unused) nvidia audio drivers so they don't even show up. The only consistent fix is to reboot the machine, and that's not much of an option when you're in the middle of a game and when it'll just happen again in a half hour.

Recent changes: I built this system back in October and haven't had any problems with it. This can happen several times during play sessions of FFXIV, but never during other usage of the computer (web browsing, streaming music or videos, playing local videos, IRC. I haven't seen this in other games so far.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs: Intel Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W PSU, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card, Samsung 850 SSD, a DVD burner and couple of HDDs that I forget the make of. There's a set of Bose speakers plugged into the rear audio-out (formerly an old set of logitech speakers from ten years ago that I was meaning to replace), and sometimes have a headset plugged into the front, usually with just the line-in and only plugging the line-out in when I need to use headphones.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, most of what I've seen online hasn't helped me since it seems to be more generic audio issues, usually people with the communications activity muting or sound enhancements (both of which are disabled already) messing with FFXIV. This didn't help me since it affects the entire system not just the game. Short of checking the connectors inside (I don't have the space for that right now and nothing's changed hardware-wise since I put it together 9 months ago) or taking it to a shop I'm out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It sounds like you've tried everything but the sound card. Do you have a spare one lying around? You could also try a USB audio interface.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

No, it's just the sound card on the mobo. I don't have any spares.

I got a chance to open it up and look around, and everything looks fine. Put it back together and now I'm stuck in the quiet mode so I guess I'm ordering a sound card.

Also I tried jimmying the speaker line a bit and it buzzes when I touch the plug.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried updating to the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website? I would also try unplugging the front panel audio header and connecting your speakers into the rear audio port. If the problem continues, try with headphones, it's possible there might be an intermittent short within your speakers.

E: Oh, and make sure your speakers and computer are plugged into the same surge protector, and that it is plugged into a grounded outlet. Good surge protectors will have wiring fault indicator lights.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Alereon posted:

Have you tried updating to the latest audio drivers from the Realtek website? I would also try unplugging the front panel audio header and connecting your speakers into the rear audio port. If the problem continues, try with headphones, it's possible there might be an intermittent short within your speakers.

E: Oh, and make sure your speakers and computer are plugged into the same surge protector, and that it is plugged into a grounded outlet. Good surge protectors will have wiring fault indicator lights.

Yeah I tried that, latest drivers are the same ones I had installed. The speakers were already in the rear port, and I had already tried unplugging the front header from the mobo. Speakers USED to be on a different power strip but both strips were in the same outlet, but my new speakers are on the same strip as the computer now due to power cord length. It's not that fancy a surge protector but the lights on the PROTECTED and GROUNDED indicators are steady.

Anyway I got a Xonar DGX and installed it, we'll see how it holds up. An interesting difference is that the installation asked for an option for the front audio header (which I hadn't connected, because I'd probably have to re-route the cable through fancy cable organizer in the case to get it to the sound card's position) between AC97 and HD Audio, the latter of which is what the front audio cable is labeled. The realtek drivers and stuff never and an option for HD Audio, just AC97 if it mentioned anything at all so maybe that was the problem?

Either way I paid for this sound card and it's in there, so we'll see if that ultimately fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There was an AC97/HD Audio setting in the BIOS most likely, so that wasn't related.

• Locked thread