Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grahf987
May 11, 2009

Kurzon posted:

It's kind of weird to hear people think that society is just an illusion, a veneer that hides a latent savagery that could burst loose at any moment. When I look at the history of social activism, I get the opposite impression. Human beings have an excessive need for stability, conformity, security, and tradition. This was a big problem for those progressive who tried to convince society that making black people work for no money or keeping women in the kitchen were bad ideas..

I can agree with that, and in the real world it is true enough. The Purges whole point is people are just a bad day away from turning into psychopaths, but movies take place in such a heighten reality that a "cleansing day" outside of a movie would be unthinkable. Dammit though if the real world has not proven that at times society can just break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

It's kind of weird to hear people think that society is just an illusion, a veneer that hides a latent savagery that could burst loose at any moment. When I look at the history of social activism, I get the opposite impression. Human beings have an excessive need for stability, conformity, security, and tradition. This was a big problem for those progressive who tried to convince society that making black people work for no money or keeping women in the kitchen were bad ideas..

If you haven't watched it, you should watch The Cabin In The Woods, as a character discusses this very principle.

Society is binding.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Purge makes the exact opposite point of The Dark Knight.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kurzon posted:

But that is a huge theme of this series. Purge is accepted in this universe as part of life and tradition (which makes little sense in the time line but that is glossed over). before people needed to stop slavery someone somewhere had to say "I wanna buy that guy"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I think in ancient Rome there was a holiday (Saturnalia, maybe?) where for one day everybody could break out of their traditional roles, e.g. slaves could boss around their masters, who would serve them food and drink. But that kind of holiday doesn't leave any lasting consequences.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 8, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The notion that without the firm hand of the State mankind will collapse into murderous insanity is explicitly official propaganda that people have internalized in the Purge movies, not some fundamental wisdom about human nature that they have tapped into.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

grahf987 posted:

I can agree with that, and in the real world it is true enough. The Purges whole point is people are just a bad day away from turning into psychopaths, but movies take place in such a heighten reality that a "cleansing day" outside of a movie would be unthinkable.
The makers of this film also know that, hence this film is classified as a horror film. If most of us were psychopaths itching drop our masks, then this movie feel like one of those Disney princess movies where the heroine lives out her happy dream.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kurzon posted:

The makers of this film also know that, hence this film is classified as a horror film. If most of us were psychopaths itching drop our masks, then this movie feel like one of those Disney princess movies where the heroine lives out her happy dream.

Also the movie seems really really obvious that it's talking about smaller bloodthirsty things we do in the real life but don't examine by turning it up to 11 and having people accept a comically large thing comically unquestioningly.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

grahf987 posted:

I can agree with that, and in the real world it is true enough. The Purges whole point is people are just a bad day away from turning into psychopaths, but movies take place in such a heighten reality that a "cleansing day" outside of a movie would be unthinkable. Dammit though if the real world has not proven that at times society can just break down.

No, its very clearly pushed that the purges are a government plan to kill off the poor.

They directly show government kill squads being sent out as not enough "average Americans" are taking part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the purgers are the MA SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS people or the ultra rich who use them for political reasons. it's a small percentage of americans overall.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kurzon posted:

I've met more than one dude who'd apparently completely independently developed the concept of Purge Night as a wicked sick thing we should totally do in real life, but these were also the dudes who for example strewed little gun caches all over their suburban home so they'd be ready at a moment's notice should the ninjas burst in while they're watching the Super Bowl, which is also not an innate human tendency we have discouraged as a society.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I watched this today and it was a great movie. It zigged when it should have zigged, zagged when it should have zagged, but was enjoyable the entire way through. I have to say my favorite moment was when they left the Safe Zone into the alley and hit the tripwire for a pendulum ax trap. After timing it out (instead of obviously going under it), the people that set it up shouted "good job, enjoy the rest of your night", like their entire purge involved congratulating people that didn't die in their little trap.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Oil! posted:

I watched this today and it was a great movie. It zigged when it should have zigged, zagged when it should have zagged, but was enjoyable the entire way through. I have to say my favorite moment was when they left the Safe Zone into the alley and hit the tripwire for a pendulum ax trap. After timing it out (instead of obviously going under it), the people that set it up shouted "good job, enjoy the rest of your night", like their entire purge involved congratulating people that didn't die in their little trap.

Don't question strange.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Oil! posted:

If every purge group was as fun as that one was, I wouldn't mind having a little purge every once in a while.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I gotta ask, because the concept of the second and third Purge movies are so interesting to me: how gory are they? Because they sound like they could just as easily be John Carpenter-style thrillers, like Escape From New York or Assault on Precinct 13, with a splash of The Warriors -- just survival-themed action movies, unless they really wallow in sadism and gore. Are there "good guys" that have a fighting chance to survive this nightmarish situation, or are the movies more mean-spirited, focusing on the Purgers running amok? I think I'd be more into them if they're about protagonists trying to survive the night, but maybe I just need to watch different movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's an army of undesirables fighting against the rich and government.

sadly they cut away when the army interrupts a bunch of rich people doing the most dangerous game so we didn't get to see some righteous vengeance.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I gotta ask, because the concept of the second and third Purge movies are so interesting to me: how gory are they? Because they sound like they could just as easily be John Carpenter-style thrillers, like Escape From New York or Assault on Precinct 13, with a splash of The Warriors -- just survival-themed action movies, unless they really wallow in sadism and gore. Are there "good guys" that have a fighting chance to survive this nightmarish situation, or are the movies more mean-spirited, focusing on the Purgers running amok? I think I'd be more into them if they're about protagonists trying to survive the night, but maybe I just need to watch different movies.

They're not super sadistic and they're mostly focused around the survivors, with the Purge being an excuse to throw mask-wearing sociopaths at them whenever the plot's getting slow

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I just saw Election Day and the violence is more on the horror side of things, but the tone is definitely more action with a heavy dose of preaching. #2 was kinda poo poo I thought, Election Day was actually a lot better, a lot more attention to detail. the government hitsquad uniform patches were spot on, I think I had seen every single one of them pop up in the news as something some soldier had been caught wearing in the past couple years, the preaching is toned down, and I really liked the final "boss" knife fight sequence, the choreography was pretty legit throughout. It really is amazing optimistic about society too, which was kinda nice.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Because they sound like they could just as easily be John Carpenter-style thrillers, like Escape From New York or Assault on Precinct 13, with a splash of The Warriors

That's pretty much exactly what they are.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only one I saw was the second one but it was pretty bloodless, if I recall. The trailers and premise make it seem like it's going to be some Saw torturefest with crazy masked killers, but it's more like a modern Running Man.

Anarchy wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as The Running Man though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Running Man is another good example of the kind of movie I'd much rather watch than a brutal torture-fest.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
While I found Purge 3 enjoyable, I found myself way more interested in all the side characters and people doing the purging than the main storyline. I agree with the sentiment that these would work better as anthology films.

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
It's amazing how such a politically charged movie managed to say almost nothing at all. This movie is specifically relevant now, I think, with respect to Black Lives Matter, but it was cheap cheap cheap. All the black characters were such stereotypes except maybe the lady driving the van, and the attempts at black jokes (fried chicken, really?) just made me cringe. It tries to appeal to liberals (I think?) or maybe it was supposed to be bipartisan, I dunno. All it really wanted to be was an exploitation film. Racial/economic politics are just a flimsy backdrop.

The only redeeming thing about this movie was some of the art direction, which was fun, but only a flat version of Korines' Spring Breakers.

Didn't see 1 or 2.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

eats-almonds posted:

It's amazing how such a politically charged movie managed to say almost nothing at all. This movie is specifically relevant now, I think, with respect to Black Lives Matter, but it was cheap cheap cheap. All the black characters were such stereotypes except maybe the lady driving the van, and the attempts at black jokes (fried chicken, really?) just made me cringe. It tries to appeal to liberals (I think?) or maybe it was supposed to be bipartisan, I dunno. All it really wanted to be was an exploitation film. Racial/economic politics are just a flimsy backdrop.

The only redeeming thing about this movie was some of the art direction, which was fun, but only a flat version of Korines' Spring Breakers.

Didn't see 1 or 2.

You do not have to say when you agree with the obvious consensus, at least on a pretty left leaning web site, that yes black people are not a disease. The store owner was certainly a stereotype but he had the best arc IMO, and was the only comedic relief character. Im not saying they pulled it off but it was probably made 6 months or more ago. I agree, the art was good, and is probably the only reason it has legs, despite the strong premise. The movie was released wide with the intent of making money, and that is about it.
Sorry if that seems combative, I too miss the unflinching stare far in the corner of the smokiest bar that exploitation films used to have.

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016

grahf987 posted:

You do not have to say when you agree with the obvious consensus, at least on a pretty left leaning web site, that yes black people are not a disease. The store owner was certainly a stereotype but he had the best arc IMO, and was the only comedic relief character. Im not saying they pulled it off but it was probably made 6 months or more ago. I agree, the art was good, and is probably the only reason it has legs, despite the strong premise. The movie was released wide with the intent of making money, and that is about it.
Sorry if that seems combative, I too miss the unflinching stare far in the corner of the smokiest bar that exploitation films used to have.

I kinda picked up a more positive consensus around the internet, but only barely. I guess I'm just splitting hairs between this movie having very little to offer, and this movie having nothing to offer. It's the difference between poop and poo poo.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

eats-almonds posted:

I kinda picked up a more positive consensus around the internet, but only barely. I guess I'm just splitting hairs between this movie having very little to offer, and this movie having nothing to offer. It's the difference between poop and poo poo.

I can pretty much see what your saying, and im not sure why I defend this series of mediocre movies. Go with the very little to offer sentiment, because it at least phones it in as opposed to answering a dead line. Im splitting hairs also, but considering my movie pass does not pay off at all anymore, I go easy on mostly everything. Neon Demon is the one movie that pulled its weight recently, and that because it grew with distance and time (The Lobster too but I had to pay for that one). A few fun scenes cant always justify a movies existence. Then again you could have ate some almonds, watched Finding Dory, and had a great time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hadaka Apron posted:

I like the shot in the trailer of the Lincoln Memorial with "PURGE" in big bloody letters across the columns. Those letters have to be at least 15 to 20 feet up- did the people who painted them bring scaffolds along?
You may want to watch DamNation http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3345206/ , guerilla graffiti tends to involve ropes instead of scaffolds.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Hadaka Apron posted:

I like the shot in the trailer of the Lincoln Memorial with "PURGE" in big bloody letters across the columns. Those letters have to be at least 15 to 20 feet up- did the people who painted them bring scaffolds along?

Of course they did. Half the people actively purging look like they've been preparing for months. Just look at all the matching costumes, and pimped out cars. No one is throwing that together the night beforehand.

I bet there's like reddit groups and pinterest boards coordinating diffferent purge gimmick ideas. Because showing up in the same purge costume has got to be embarrassing.

I'd like to think the Purge LARP group probably has bylaws about what weapons are allowed. Swords and axes: yes. Polearms: no.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I agree with these movies I think Purging is wrong!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cross post from GenChat because I didn't realise this dumb franchise had its own thread:

The Purge 2 is dumb and has some unforgivably bad blood CGI. It was kind of filmed like one of those ultra-cheap sequels you get decades after the fact when everyone's stopped caring, like Starship Troopers 3.

I kept thinking while watching it that you could turn this 'universe' into an open world game like the Arkham games where the whole story takes place on one fateful night and it might turn out a lot more interesting. Are the first or third ones any better?

The idea of the super rich only taking six years to find semi-ritualistic murder a cool traditional thing to do is hilarious. So those kids that maniacally sliced up grandpa with machetes are upstanding members of society for 364.5 days a year?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of great satires are unrealistic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Also it wasn't the first year of auctioning off the most dangerous game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Please don't imply that The Purge is "great satire."

Caros
May 14, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I just saw Election Day and the violence is more on the horror side of things, but the tone is definitely more action with a heavy dose of preaching. #2 was kinda poo poo I thought, Election Day was actually a lot better, a lot more attention to detail. the government hitsquad uniform patches were spot on, I think I had seen every single one of them pop up in the news as something some soldier had been caught wearing in the past couple years, the preaching is toned down, and I really liked the final "boss" knife fight sequence, the choreography was pretty legit throughout. It really is amazing optimistic about society too, which was kinda nice.

While the knife fight choreography was quite good (and had a bitching ending) I'm sort of sad they went that route at all.

I feel like it would have been more fun, and even fitting in a way, to have the merc get the drop on them but ultimately let them go. He has already been paid for the job he did, and he doesn't have any real personal grudge in the matter. Would have been interesting to see the 'worst' guy in society be kind on purge night as a contrast rather than big action movie fight, especially in light of how businesslike he had been about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

Please don't imply that The Purge is "great satire."

it is.

• Locked thread