Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Hello Goons, boy do I have a real headscratcher for you. I’m really hoping that there’s someone out there that is computer Jesus and can deliver me from this headache. In an effort to not leave any stone unturned, this is a long post and I apologize, I hope you will find it quite detailed.

The Basics: Computer was built from scratch on 11/27/15, been running flawlessly until 7/3. All parts are new and were not recycled.

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.00 Ghz (Currently not OCing until I feel I need it – factory defaults)
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (upgraded from a 7 key, Clean install)
MoBo: Asus Z170 PRO
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0
PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular G2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400hz, Dual Channel
HD 1: Samsung 850 Evo SSD - 1 TB (OS and Games only)
HD 2: WD Blue @ 7200rpm - 1TB (most programs like Hwmonitor, Cpu-Z, etc)
HD 3: WD Red @ 5900rpm - 4TB (Media, movies, music, backup data, etc.)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (two front fans, one intake at the bottom, one exhaust)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz, 1440p, 27.0" (Runs in G-Sync)
KB: Corsair K70 RGB MX Red
Mouse: Logitech G502

Recent changes: On 7/2 the only thing that changed that I can think of any significance is that I updated my NVidia video driver to version 368.39, computer was used for about 3 more hours before shutting down and going to bed.

Problem description:Windows will freeze ~5 to 10 seconds after logging in, the freeze/issue is not always the same though and has changed as I’ve tried to troubleshoot things listed below. However, the end result is the same in that the system become inoperable and cannot be used.

Problem #1 (initial issue). Upon logging into windows from sleep or full power up screen freezes in 5 to 10 seconds, mouse and keyboard unresponsive The Corsair K70 KB doesn’t even load up a profile before freezing as my keys stay in the default red colors), no noise is made when a USB is inserted, only action is to power off or restart, where problem persists when signing in again. This was the very first sign of a problem when I turned my system on in the morning, when it kept happening after a few attempts I knew something was up and started troubleshooting.

Attempted fixes #1: I was able to run the computer without issue in Safe Mode. From here I did the basics: updated any drivers for mouse, kb, and even flashed the BIOS to the most updated version when all else failed. Restated with no luck, so back into Safe mode and disabled all startup programs in task manager – again, no luck when trying to use the computer normally. At this point I backed up all data to my external – and ran a full virus scan. better safe than sorry. (No viruses/malware found btw).
Attempted fixes #2:Next I rolled back my video driver thinking it might save me, no luck, same issues as before.
Attempted fixes #3:I did a system restore to a one from a few days ago (7/1), no luck.
Attempted fixes #4:I then plugged in an internal speaker thinking the beeps might tell me something, but it only beeps once indicating nothing is wrong. The LED lights on my mobo also do not signify any problems. While the case was opened I took the opportunity to dust the case out and clean the filers, they were not very dirty and I don’t think airflow is an issue.

At this point I’m starting to get stumped, I’m certainly no tech guy, but I know at least some things and I’m running out of ideas…

Attempted fixes #5:I run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and strip off all NVidia video drivers. Minor Success! I can now log in normally using the windows display driver, no freezes or strange behavior. While not ideal at least my computer isn’t 100% flat lined… Feeling good I download the newest NVidia driver (368.39) and do a fresh install. Everything takes and the computer is running flawlessly again. I play some Overwatch and it runs without issue. I turn the computer off and do some chores.

Problem #2 (A challenger appears!) I turn the computer back on later in the day and disaster strikes again. Now when I load into windows, rather than the screen “freezing”, it turns my screen totally grey after the same ~5-10 seconds after login to windows. Same as before, mouse and keyboard unresponsive, no noise or strange beeps, only hitting the restart or power button ends the grey freeze.

Attempted fixes #6:At this point I once again strip off the video drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller. As before, computer boots up just fine with the windows driver, everything works. I then do a fresh install using an older driver (368.22) and again, everything works including games. But not being satisfied just yet I decided to do a normal restart from my start menu to see if the problem would come back and it sure did…but not exactly the same as before.

Problem #3 (Bonus Round!) Now when I log into windows, the system spammed me with errors once per second or so saying something along the lines of “The Display Driver kernel has stopped working and was able to be recovered.” This error came up I’d say 15 or so times and then stopped. I was able to get about 2 minutes of computer action in (minor excel testing, file explorer navigating) before the screen froze up again, same as the very first symptoms in problem #1.

Attempted fixes #7:My final driver action was taking the drivers off with DDU, and loading in 365.19, which is a driver that is currently working with a different rig in my house. Same as before, once installed it’s fine until I reboot the computer, where I get yet another new error. Problem #4 (BSOD how I’ve missed you) Upon Login I get a BSOD after a frozen screen in the same 10-15 seconds after startup, error says “Video TDR Failure (nvlddmkm_sys)” it then resets after it “collects” data to send to windows…please kill me. I let the system reboot normally, logged back in and the screen would freeze for a solid 30 seconds, and then just automatically reboot the computer, but no more BSOD/error message. That only appeared just once.

Attempted fixes #8:Still not being satisfied I ran a full Mem Test 86+ no errors were returned after all tests were complete. I let it run twice over before exiting.

Attempted fixes #9 – Where nothing makes sense:Here’s where things get really weird, I swapped my card (980 Ti) with a GTX 970 from another machine…and not only did my computer work just fine with the 970…but so did the other computer with the 980 Ti (using 365.19). Now I am totally lost, if the card was at fault, shouldn’t it have also died in the other machine…and if something else was at fault in my rig, shouldn’t my rig have died even with the 970 in? Goons – What have I done to bring forth this cruel punishment? For kicks I’ve also tried all 3 display ports on the card to rule out a bad connecter, all give the same issues in my computer w/ the 980 Ti while working just fine when it was in the other computer w/ the 980 Ti swapped. Also swapped monitors to check that, same results, works fine in swapped computer.

Potential “breakthrough”/Attempted fixes #9: I had one final card to play before giving up, and that was to put the 980 Ti into the second PCI-E slot on my mobo instead of the first. Sure enough the computer booted right up, no problems, and I am typing this horror story from my desktop and it has yet to crash. I even took off 365.19 with DDU and put on 368.22, shut down, booted up, and everything works. Even though my problem is “fixed” I feel that I’ve not really learned anything and am afraid it could come back at any time. That and why would my card work just fine in Slot #2, but fail in Slot #1 when the 970 was tested in Slot #1 with zero issues?

Seriously, Goons, if you know anything I am eager to find out what’s making GBS threads the bed. Is it the video card, mobo, windows, or Nvidia drivers?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

A serious thank you to anyone who reads that and thinks the might be able to help. I’ve spent all day on this mess, and don’t yet feel any “closure” which is a really nagging feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Rev posted:

Now I am totally lost, if the card was at fault, shouldn’t it have also died in the other machine…and if something else was at fault in my rig, shouldn’t my rig have died even with the 970 in?

Sometimes a computer problem involves a multilayered conflict. A video card could have an issue/physical defect that shows up more readily within the confines of a certain system.

There's a tendency to want to assess 100% blame to one thing and 0% to another but that's not always the logical reality.

The Rev posted:

Even though my problem is “fixed” I feel that I’ve not really learned anything and am afraid it could come back at any time. That and why would my card work just fine in Slot #2, but fail in Slot #1 when the 970 was tested in Slot #1 with zero issues?

A bad slot or a bad physical connection. Certain cards are less compatible with certain motherboards (BIOS updates usually fix this).

EVGA doesn't have the greatest GPU reputation.

• Locked thread