Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

BeefThief posted:

gonna have to power up the old 4d3d3d

Jupiter-smiling.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Prettz posted:

Disclaimer, almost everything on Voyager is turned off because there's so little power left.

then where do they get the power to replicate all those shuttles and torpedoes

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
whatys this we stuff op i didnt do poo poo to get us to jupiter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The fact that we can facilitate communications with the more remote probes is loving amazing at all.

There are a couple of dudes on Twitter that I follow that chase down a lot of those things to pick up the carriers. And it works.

http://twitter.com/supertrack_it/status/750437258478620672

http://twitter.com/uhf_satcom/status/750429740448833536

These are amateur dudes doing this poo poo in their backyard with scrounged gear.

Can't really decode the data in your radio shed but those carriers are how we find the signal in the first place.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

wide stance posted:

27 ppl have gone to the moon

24. Three people went twice.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Germstore posted:

Eh. With so little repeat business, no wonder it got shut down.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
first hillary wasn't indicted and then we go to jupiter?

could this day get any better?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8oTGWozjg

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I hope this probe can finally put to rest the notion that going to Jupiter gets you more stupider.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this is pretty much what happened

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
they named that space ship after that lovely movie about the knocked up mouthy kid?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

out ragess

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
are we there yet? Are we on jupiter?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Where's all the pretty pictures?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Bundle of Keys posted:

Obama refuses to release them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Prettz posted:

Disclaimer, almost everything on Voyager is turned off because there's so little power left.

and even if there was power like half of the poo poo on both of them has broken over time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

if Apollo 13 counts as "going to the moon" than so do my failed attempts to reach the moon from my backyard by jumping really high

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

if Apollo 13 counts as "going to the moon" than so do my failed attempts to reach the moon from my backyard by jumping really high

I don't see why you wouldn't count a fly by if you would count someone orbiting but not landing.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Rutibex posted:

Probably had too much stuff in your backpack. Rookie mistake.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If Apollo 13 counts, so do Apollos 8 and 10.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mirage posted:

If Apollo 13 counts, so do Apollos 8 and 10.

They are included in the count.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Bundle of Keys posted:

it took some photos during the approach. there's a composite animation that shows the 4 big moons orbiting the planet and it looks pretty neat. i think i linked it earlier in the thread. the point of the mission isn't to take pictures though

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like how these NASA idiots are bragging about getting their lovely little satellite into orbit around Jupiter when my 12 year old nephew does it all the time on Kerbal space program. It's really not very hard. You turn the ship around and turn on the motor. Way to loving go NASA. You mastered the ability to do a 180 and hit a button.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

FrankieGoes posted:

I like how these NASA idiots are bragging about getting their lovely little satellite into orbit around Jupiter when my 12 year old nephew does it all the time on Kerbal space program. It's really not very hard. You turn the ship around and turn on the motor. Way to loving go NASA. You mastered the ability to do a 180 and hit a button.

actually they couldn't do that since it takes 48 min to send any commands from earth to juno

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Parallax Scroll posted:

actually they couldn't do that since it takes 48 min to send any commands from earth to juno

I know but it seems like it goes without saying that it was really a computer doing the 180 and pressing the button.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FrankieGoes posted:

I know but it seems like it goes without saying that it was really a computer doing the 180 and pressing the button.

Why does NASA have so many scientists when they've got computers that can do all the work. Fire them and cut funding to pay for for more important poo poo like fighter jets that can't fly and soldiers to kill children in far away lands.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Why does NASA have so many scientists when they've got computers that can do all the work. Fire them and cut funding to pay for for more important poo poo like fighter jets that can't fly and soldiers to kill children in far away lands.

NASA is a long term project, to potentially find alien children to kill in ever farther away lands. we can not be short sighted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

this is a space thread, so a good place to remind people that we're going to the ISS in 1 hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmHHpAsMVw

it's fun to watch these live

edit: that thumbnail image on the live stream is totally wrong...

• Locked thread