Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's good to have regular updates again. Also Roulette Boy's a treat as usual. Kid seriously just likes having people play his game.

edit for the new page:

discworld is all I read posted:

And just cause I love double posting, here's the next update and the final soul for the third night. And believe it or not, we are actually super close to finishing the game....but that just mean the greatest dangers lie ahead.

Also, here's your horror show for good ol' Roulette Boy: Bonus 6: Roulette Boy's Horror Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's good to have regular updates again. Also Roulette Boy's a treat as usual. Kid seriously just likes having people play his game.
Yeah, he's one of the few 'nice' guests you'll find at the hotel. He just wants to have a pleasant night of playing board games, and if you're lucky enough, you can actually find him downstairs in Roulette Hell playing around with Mummy Dog. And speaking of well meaning and friendly guests, that brings us to the latest update.

That's right, we're nearly almost done with the game and boy howdy, do things actually start getting hard now. I mean, it was a relative cake walk when all we had to worry about was Catherine. But now almost 80% of the hotel is being semi-constantly patrolled by people just waiting to chase after us and do us harm. Thankfully I understood ahead of time that this would be a sneaking mission and I manage to pull it off without a hitch.....yup, not a single hitch.....

Also here is the horror show for both Clock Master and My son: Bonus 7: Clock Master and My Son's Horror Show

And finally, I think I might have missed a horror show from Cactus Girl and a slightly different horror show if you're a female character with Cactus Gunman; does anyone care to see it. Cause otherwise I won't sweat the technique on that. I'm definitely not shooting for a 100% play through here cause loving hell that's dreadful and requires a lot of waiting around and grinding and bleh....that's no bueno.

edit: It seems there's an item to get off Clock Master that I'll go back and get. Will show that off in the next video.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 22, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

wowee zowie you're updating fast aren't you? Good to see that this game didnt' claim yet another LP career though!

Interesting thing to note with that Horror show, unless that's just My Son's normal one, is that his dad showed up as well. If you happen to be getting chased by multiple characters and they are close enough when one of them get you. The other character will show up and do their attack as well to doubly gently caress you.

I don't know if it's only certain pairs of characters or if anybody can help out with anybody. I know for a fact that Mummy Dog and Mummy Pappa have a unique one with Catherine though for example though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

wowee zowie you're updating fast aren't you? Good to see that this game didnt' claim yet another LP career though!

Interesting thing to note with that Horror show, unless that's just My Son's normal one, is that his dad showed up as well. If you happen to be getting chased by multiple characters and they are close enough when one of them get you. The other character will show up and do their attack as well to doubly gently caress you.

I don't know if it's only certain pairs of characters or if anybody can help out with anybody. I know for a fact that Mummy Dog and Mummy Pappa have a unique one with Catherine though for example though.
Aye, I've got like three solid weeks off from work for a vacation and I figure I can finish this up. It's a bit surprising to hear about those, I guess 'tag team' horror shows. Maybe I can see if I can capture those or not. And it appears that you can get the Clock Master and My Son tag team pretty easily if you just keep harassing My Son before you steal his screwdriver, or just if you talk to My Son when you have the screwdriver on you. It's a bit bizarre to me the amount of dialogues and different setups they put into the game.

Also since it's been a bit, hopefully the commentary and the audio levels are still good. If they aren't, then I'm all ears on fixing it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm glad you're updating again! Somehow I didn't realize there was actually a thread for the LP, I just caught it on youtube.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Feliz Navidad, goons! Hopefully you're all having some very merry holidays and maybe after you're done unwrapping gifts or getting ready for Boxing Day, then you can relax and take in a nice game of futbol.

And here's your usual bonus of poor Shub getting murdered: Bonus 8: Angel Dog's Horror Show

p.s. at the end of the LP I'll make sure to include a bonus video of what happens when a game over occurs as it's somewhat interesting.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm glad you're updating again! Somehow I didn't realize there was actually a thread for the LP, I just caught it on youtube.
It's very easy to miss my threads; they just get lost in the forums.

VVVVVV
Haha, that would require people giving a poo poo about Niggurath.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 25, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm kind of amazed that no one is revolting over this discworld is all I read character taking over Niggurath's thread like this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just binge watched this LP, and it's gone full circle in the greatest way possible. :allears:

Including the switches between Americanisms and Britishisms. Makes me wonder if they were planning a NA release at some point, and when it didn't happen they shrugged their shoulders and mashed the scripts together.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to watching the first two seasons of the Anime a few weeks ago and I think my favourite character is Judgement Boy, because he's not afraid to gently caress with Gregory. In his introduction he puts Gregory through the very same rigged test as everyone else, but hits really hard because of the choice that he presents:

"Gregory... You get a call teling you that your mother has just been run over by a car while shopping for groceries, and is calling out for you in the hospital. However you also have a hot date tonight with the girl of your dreams... do you go on your date, ignoring your mother's pleas for help, or do you give up on love, and run to your mother's side in her hour of need?"
"Well.. obviously I go to see my mother... why wouldn't I?"
"So... you say that you would go to see your mother,. but is that really the case? Let's find out! Judgemeeeeent!"
*Judgement Boy spins as usual, and the gold falls from the rigged weight*
"Gregory... how disappointing. You keep your date for the night, leaving your mother in the hands of countless strange, uncaring doctors. She dies alone in her bed, calling out for you. You monster!"
"Noooo.... moommmyyyy.... noooooo :qq:"

Really great sequence. I haven't played this game very far, so Niggurath, if that happens later in the game just say so and I'll edit it out completely. As far as I'm aware this is anime only.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

All the intro cutscenes are taken from the anime, but I don't think they take anything else from the series.

I wouldn't call Judgment Boy's judgements as so much rigged as more revealing - people will often say the noble answer, but is it really what they'll actually do? Think of him like Anubis weighing one's heart against Maat's feather of truth. His last line is "You made your choice - now you get to live with it" after all.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Still love Gregory Horror Show. I heard there was an attempt to make a new season of it, but with 2D animation, but I'm not sure what came of it.

In the original 3D series, it was always fairly interesting in how the hotel attracts people who prefer to live on a fantasy and who are escaping reality. Each one of the residents is a parody of their real selves, and Gregory is somehow both his own character yet also something that a person has to face within themselves. Knowing this, I'm wondering how the hell our main character managed to get themselves over to this hell dimension.

I love Gregory Horror Show.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

Still love Gregory Horror Show. I heard there was an attempt to make a new season of it, but with 2D animation, but I'm not sure what came of it.

In the original 3D series, it was always fairly interesting in how the hotel attracts people who prefer to live on a fantasy and who are escaping reality. Each one of the residents is a parody of their real selves, and Gregory is somehow both his own character yet also something that a person has to face within themselves. Knowing this, I'm wondering how the hell our main character managed to get themselves over to this hell dimension.

I love Gregory Horror Show.
Well believe it or not this might hold true to the ending of the game as well...but that'll be coming up shortly. Thankfully the final guest is not too difficult and I'm mostly just thinking about any other small stuff I haven't shown off, like the gold room or Angel Dog's room on the upper floor.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

With that, we've now gotten all the souls and we can enjoy a much needed rest...just not on this particular night it seems.

Also there's no new horror shows as Judgement Boy Gold is like Judgement Boy in that regard. So while this is a short update, hopefully I should have the final update out before the year ends and we can see the actual exciting climax.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So in the end, life is a bleak lovely place and the only escape from that reality is a remote place in a dark forest....a place where your room is always waiting for you. Good times all around.

Also a few bonuses that I felt like holding off till the end:
Gregory Horror Show Attract Mode
Gregory Horror Show Game Over

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I gotta say, the ending and game over are really weak for keeping the main character a complete cipher for the player. It's a bit late by now to do anything about that anyway but still.

Good job on finishing this LP too! Nice to see how this went, even if it's a little disappointing.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I, on the other hand, loved the ending. I got really attached to Neko Zombie and seeing him stand up for himself was weirdly inspiring. Glad you came back to finish the game off, I greatly appreciate it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's pretty much a redux of how Series 2 ended (and uses footage directly from it), Neko Zombie really is the most pitiful character, how many times does he try to help someone escape, or destroy the house, but in the end - they always come back.

And yes, I feel the game does suffer from making the player character a complete cipher in order to accommodate the self-insert nature - as while we never see Male Guest or Female Guest, we can infer from their monologues, and their actions how/why they ended up in the House even if they themselves don't understand.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 31, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Fiendly posted:

I, on the other hand, loved the ending. I got really attached to Neko Zombie and seeing him stand up for himself was weirdly inspiring. Glad you came back to finish the game off, I greatly appreciate it.

Oh no question that Neko Zombie doing his thing was as good as it was in season 2, I just wish there was more to follow it up with than "but I realized that because [insert reason here] I might come back someday anyway and never want to leave!" It feels incomplete by comparison to seasons 1 and 2 without a proper background for the guest themselves and why they wanted to escape reality so badly in the first place.

Sadly, on the note of Neko Zombie I have read that the manga season 3-ish followup has him entirely give up on helping new guests and go just as crazy as Carrie. :smith:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Oh no question that Neko Zombie doing his thing was as good as it was in season 2, I just wish there was more to follow it up with than "but I realized that because [insert reason here] I might come back someday anyway and never want to leave!" It feels incomplete by comparison to seasons 1 and 2 without a proper background for the guest themselves and why they wanted to escape reality so badly in the first place.

It's because you, the player, are returning to play the game again :ssh:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It still really begs the question though of who this game was meant for? Would fans of the show have wanted to play a bizarre mixture of stealth action and puzzle solving adventure, especially considering that was never really a theme of the anime shorts? Was it supposed to draw in new fans for the show that'd see the weird art and think "Man, this game is bizarre. I can only wonder if maybe the shorts are just as bizarre." It's really just confusing in the end why Capcom would have decided on this game at all. It's not like there was ever a real peak time for Gregory Horror Show and yet...here we are. But I've got no real place to question it all, I mean, poo poo, they made a game for Junji Ito's 'Uzumaki': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjMpUwQ700I

But that brings us to the real question here; what to do next? A part of me is thinking: Chulip (cause I can never stop doing LP's that Jamesman did), Clock Tower 2 (cause I hate fun or playing good games), or maybe Shadow Tower Abyss (cause that game is a confusing, spooky, archaic mess from From Software). I'm always up for ideas, especially if it's something lesser known.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Okay, I'm officially shocked there's an Uzimaki game. I really should learn more about the Wonderswan. That's right up there with the fact that there were TWO games based on Clive Barker's Nightbreed on the Amiga. They're both kinda bad however.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I never heard of Shadow Tower Abyss, so I'm curious.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

It still really begs the question though of who this game was meant for? Would fans of the show have wanted to play a bizarre mixture of stealth action and puzzle solving adventure, especially considering that was never really a theme of the anime shorts? Was it supposed to draw in new fans for the show that'd see the weird art and think "Man, this game is bizarre. I can only wonder if maybe the shorts are just as bizarre."

In my case it definitely worked in the latter fashion. After seeing some of this game I made an effort to go and watch the animated series because I liked the aesthetic. :shobon:

But that brings us to the real question here; what to do next? A part of me is thinking: Chulip (cause I can never stop doing LP's that Jamesman did), Clock Tower 2 (cause I hate fun or playing good games), or maybe Shadow Tower Abyss (cause that game is a confusing, spooky, archaic mess from From Software). I'm always up for ideas, especially if it's something lesser known.

I'll vote for Shadow Tower Abyss, because the words confusing, spooky, and archaic push all my buttons. An LP of Chulip would be interesting too, though.

I am also intensely interested in seeing a full playthrough of Clock Tower 2, but you are a goodboy who should play good games.

For lesser-known horror, um, are you interested in horror visual novels like Cosmology of Kyoto? I know there was one translated recently that was set in a pyramid or something. Does someone with a better memory than me know what I'm referring to?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I mucked around with Cosmology of Kyoto ages ago, never got far since I had no idea what I was suppose to do.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, I'm officially shocked there's an Uzimaki game. I really should learn more about the Wonderswan. That's right up there with the fact that there were TWO games based on Clive Barker's Nightbreed on the Amiga. They're both kinda bad however.
Or there's the fact that someone read Stephen King's 'The Dark Half' (or heaven forbid, saw the movie adaptation) and thought "Ya know, this would make a great game!"....and then proceeded to make a bullshit difficult adventure game.

Robindaybird posted:

I never heard of Shadow Tower Abyss, so I'm curious.
Aye, it's a bit of a precursor to From's 'Soul' series. Way back in the day, there was a release title for the Japanese PS1 called 'King's Field' and some people might be familiar with that, but it's not the King's Field we got in America. No, this King's Field was a very stiff and difficult first person dungeon crawler and it had some very odd design choices (like you leveled up your stats by spamming attacks, except attacks were slow and clunky and you basically had to find infinite enemy spawners and farm killing cockroaches to survive). Thankfully King's Fields games got slightly better over time, we got about 3/4 of them localized and we even got a weird off shoot of the series called 'Shadow Tower' (which followed pretty much the same first person dungeon crawler setup and I think it just had a different story than King's Field). And in fact I think there was like a third spin off from the series called Eternal Ring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Ring

Basically, it was a fairly long running series from From Software and the final game in the series was only fan translated, and that's Shadow Tower Abyss. It's a fairly nice looking, bleak first person dungeon crawler for the PS2 that has guns in a fantasy settings and you can chop people's arms and legs off for goofy effect.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah it's definitely Shadow Tower Abyss I'm voting for with that description.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

For lesser-known horror, um, are you interested in horror visual novels like Cosmology of Kyoto? I know there was one translated recently that was set in a pyramid or something. Does someone with a better memory than me know what I'm referring to?
I think the pyramid game you're referring to is this: http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_peretemherufortheprisoners/index.html

I'd be a bit weary of doing that game cause it's more of an RPG and I'd probably need to do screenshots, and I'm poo poo with screenshot LP's (like I tried to do one years ago and it was just a dead zone that I sadly never finished though I only had ten minutes left of gameplay to really cover). And I'm wanting to say that someone did Cosmology before, but I feel that I'm dreadfully under educated for what that game needs as it's kinda very heavy into Japanese mythology and folklore.

That also reminds me of a fairly odd visual novel game for the DS called Theresia; I wanted to do that but I don't feel it would work in video format.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yeah it's definitely Shadow Tower Abyss I'm voting for with that description.
It's definitely a mixed bag of a game. Like there's no in-game music really, and even for a PS2 game, it's still fairly clunky. But it's still an odd beast of a game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 31, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Oh wow, yeah, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. For some reason I had it in my head it was a visual novel, when it looks like it's probably closer to Sweet Home.

I think an RPG might work in video format, but it would require so much editing it's probably not worth the hassle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I vote for Chulip because we need a "modern" LP of that game and while it's not quite a horror game and therefore not in your normal wheelhouse, i think more people need to be exposed to it's weirdness. :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 31, 2016

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Chulip has been done very well by Jamesman, I don't think there is a need for a new LP.
But rewind just a few posts here... You're saying there was a Dark Half adventure game?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Thanks for the awesome LP niggurath. Never give up hope neko zombie, keep fighting the good fight.

I never finished Shadow Tower: Abyss so I'd love to see that.

It'd be great to see Chulip again because gosh darn that game is wonderful.

This is a difficult choice.

As for Clock Tower, are we talking Clock Tower 2 or Ghost Head?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Shadow Tower sounds like it'd be great, especially given how much I enjoyed your last foray into From Software's library. I'd like to see you get back into the Deception series because those games are loving neat. I was going to do Deception 4 myself, but... well... now I'm waiting for someone else to do it. You can't really go wrong with whatever you pick, though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

kjetting posted:

Chulip has been done very well by Jamesman, I don't think there is a need for a new LP.
But rewind just a few posts here... You're saying there was a Dark Half adventure game?
Aye, I think someone on SA did an LP of it years ago and it might be this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfmln09A_M

coleman francis posted:

Thanks for the awesome LP niggurath. Never give up hope neko zombie, keep fighting the good fight.

I never finished Shadow Tower: Abyss so I'd love to see that.

It'd be great to see Chulip again because gosh darn that game is wonderful.

This is a difficult choice.

As for Clock Tower, are we talking Clock Tower 2 or Ghost Head?
I mean Ghost Head; cause Clock Tower 1.5 wasn't really bad, I just wouldn't do that one cause it had a nasty habit of forcing the player to investigate literally everything in a room before moving on and that's tedious as gently caress.

Fiendly posted:

Shadow Tower sounds like it'd be great, especially given how much I enjoyed your last foray into From Software's library. I'd like to see you get back into the Deception series because those games are loving neat. I was going to do Deception 4 myself, but... well... now I'm waiting for someone else to do it. You can't really go wrong with whatever you pick, though.
Hmmm, I'm not sure about Deception 4 mostly because I've never recorded off a PS3 and I'm not sure if I have something to get around the HDMI encryption and also the game seemed kinda skeezy to me with with heroine being pretty much nude and damage causing female character's clothes to shred....ugh, Tecmo is just a skeezy company all around.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, congratulations on finishing the LP! I've liked Gregory Horror Show since I saw a youtube LP of this game (oh god, has it really been) 8 years ago, so it's nice to see it done justice. I even picked up the dvd's.

If you're still taking suggestions on your next LP, I'd say Shadow Tower Abyss just because I probably won't have a chance to play it. I wouldn't mind seeing your take on Chulip though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks for the LP, Niggurath!

I'll toss in another vote for Shadow Tower Abyss. I haven't seen many of From Software's non-DS offerings. But whatever you choose in the end will be interesting, I'm sure. (Though Clock Tower 2 sounds more like punishment?)

• Locked thread