Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Problem description: I am trying to rocobopy everything on my R: drive to folder on an external drive (E:\R). The R: drive is basically a scratch drive, but since it's much faster than my windows disk I also keep my pagefile there. I am trying the following command:

code:
robocopy R:\ E:\R /tee /z /XJD /XJF /log:robocopy.r.log /XF pagefile.sys hiberfil.sys
Robocopy reports only 1 file skipped (pagefile.sys, expected) and the sizes copied look correct. The problem is the attributes are strange. The E:\R folder is read-only and hidden, and some subfolders also appear to be read-only; although I don't know if that's just an attribute being inherited from the parent.

I've tried a couple different time with some minor variation in flags, but always get the same outcome.

Attempted fixes: Just tried some different flags. Stuff like /COPYALL, /MIR, etc. Always the same result.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro, all updates and service packs applied

System specs: n/a

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I've googled but can't find any info on this. There is a robocopy hotfix for Windows 7 that looks like it might be related to the issue (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2639043), but for some reason when I send microsoft my e-mail address to download the hotfix nothing arrives so I have yet to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Decided to google a little harder, and discovered the problem. Apparently any folder you copy the System Volume Information folder into automatically becomes a system folder, which gets ReadOnly/Hidden by default. Solution is to explicitly exclude it when running the command, i.e. something like:

Robocopy "M:" "N:\M" * /E /COPYALL /MIR /NDL /R:0 /TEE /XJD /FP /TS /NP /LOG+:"RoboLogFile.log" /XF Thumbs.db ~*.* *.swp *.dmp *.tmp pagefile.sys hiberfil.sys /XD MCAF*.TMP "_RESTORE" "MSOCache" "$RECYCLE.BIN" "Recycled" "RECYCLER" "System Volume Information"

Running it now and will see what happens. It's a 22 hour copy so there won't be an update soon.

• Locked thread