Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

can't you just take a piece of paper and write the same card stats on it and stuff and use it when you play "magic the gathering". Or is there a rule that you may only play using cards you've purchased with coin

this is what i do more or less.

people that enjoy Magic as a game and not a retarded collection exercise like to play a format called "cube". basically you put together a set of 500 or so cards (that have a good balance), and they split them up into 15 card "packs" and draft them like you bought some cards. that way you can play the game without having to buy new cards all the time (without the same stale decks). most people that makes cube print out proxy cards, because a lot of the really interesting cards in magic are super expensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDBTRG6keM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

does anyone have a list of all the rarest pogs? asking for a friend.

it's martin shkreli,

he's my buddy and he wants your pogs.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's vomit on his sweater already.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Doug Sisk posted:

I've got a box of old magic cards from when an ex hosed off, is there an easier way to check for value than finding a local nerd? Some kind of app which used the camera would be the best, if not then I'm sure someone here can invent one and let me know.

I used Delver Lens to quickly get through a few boxes of old rares. It went quickly and allowed me to identify what was worth setting aside. Just get drunk as hell and find a flat surface and scan through stuff for anything worth more than :10bux:, then take those cards to a local nerd and take his lunch money in exchange for them.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellsau posted:

I used Delver Lens to quickly get through a few boxes of old rares. It went quickly and allowed me to identify what was worth setting aside. Just get drunk as hell and find a flat surface and scan through stuff for anything worth more than :10bux:, then take those cards to a local nerd and take his lunch money in exchange for them.

To also add, there are some common and uncommon cards that for a lot when people learned how good they are (Hymn to Tourach .. Go me who bought a ton of fallen empire boxes.... Instead of beta duals for 40) or are very useful in certain circumstances.

This list on game faq is a good start

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000397-collectible-card-games-magic-the-gathering/61860758

Also full/alt art cards including promos

Also that app is amazing!

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Doug Sisk posted:

I've got a box of old magic cards from when an ex hosed off, is there an easier way to check for value than finding a local nerd? Some kind of app which used the camera would be the best, if not then I'm sure someone here can invent one and let me know.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz is pretty useful for this. Use the little symbols on the middle right of the cards to determine the set names, then the visualizer to see the most valuable cards from each set.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Nostratic posted:

This dude is a douche bag and him suffering and prolonged, painful death would not bother me in the slightest.

calm down bro

FBIASSMAN69
Aug 15, 2006

Gamer With Dignity posted:

There's vomit on his sweater already.

mom's spaghetti?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Pardon my ignorance since my brief knowledge of card collection was Pokemon when I was in secondary school but I just don't see how some rich rear end in a top hat buying rare cards that are beyond the reach of most players can have any affect on the game as a whole. I guess it depends on how much he's willing to buy though? Say he buys 20 Black Lotus cards isn't there still a shitload of cards still in play or are the rare cards that much of a game-changer that strategy and tactical play just gets thrown out of the window?

I can see it loving up the collectors sure but how is this going to ruin the entire game?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
This dude isn't some Johnny-Come-Lately to nerdgames, either.

He used to (maybe still does?) play a text-based MUD called Dragonrealms. If I remember correctly, he was a massive dick and would buy high level characters and troll people with them. In addition, he paid a few thousand dollars cash for this unofficial website about the game and then shut it down, I guess because they were mocking him.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

A Strange Aeon posted:

He used to (maybe still does?) play a text-based MUD called Dragonrealms. If I remember correctly, he was a massive dick and would buy high level characters and troll people with them. In addition, he paid a few thousand dollars cash for this unofficial website about the game and then shut it down, I guess because they were mocking him.

Tom Gorman posted:

this guy rules

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Holy poo poo seriously? Take that Dragonrealms.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the MTG community's response to this was that this guy was banned from all tournaments/events

lmao you fat fat fat fucks

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Can't they just make more cards? Speaking as someone who has never played poke-gi-yo-mon; The Gathering.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jiggerypokery posted:

Can't they just make more cards? Speaking as someone who has never played poke-gi-yo-mon; The Gathering.

they promised they wouldn't though you see

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yes guys it turns out the cards go for a lot because they have never been reprinted and a lot of people play this game. The game is actually modeled on the tournament-legal cards changing with every new release, so there's actually no incentive to reprint anything. Reprinting would actually undercut their business and the fan-base's confidence. It's a game company, so one day they will do something stupid like that anyway, but for now they are under mostly intelligent leadership.

This game is the only thing that keeps most hobby shops in business, and there are usually Magic events in said shops 5-6 nights a week that fill to the rafters. There are shops here in Seattle that, during the day, have guys doing nothing but sorting cards, taking orders, and sending out international mail orders. They are paid only in more Magic cards. All day every day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They are paid only in more Magic cards. All day every day.

lol that sounds extremely whack

like on the one hand wow that's impressive brutal capitalist exploitation on the level of company scrip and on the other i don't even care because what loving moron would agree to get paid in magic cards

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I get paid in blowjobs from Mordin's mom.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my mom is DEAD

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Well then I need to find out whose been blowing me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
prolly just me in a dress tbh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Moridin920 posted:

the MTG community's response to this was that this guy was banned from all tournaments/events

lmao you fat fat fat fucks

Seriously? What a lame rear end community.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously? What a lame rear end community.

iirc he's allowed back in now, there were some more pictures somewhere of his triumphant return

Dude is too cool to be playing card games but hey, he got a laugh out of me so I won't hate on him. :)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rutibex posted:

this is what i do more or less.

people that enjoy Magic as a game and not a retarded collection exercise like to play a format called "cube". basically you put together a set of 500 or so cards (that have a good balance), and they split them up into 15 card "packs" and draft them like you bought some cards. that way you can play the game without having to buy new cards all the time (without the same stale decks). most people that makes cube print out proxy cards, because a lot of the really interesting cards in magic are super expensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDBTRG6keM

so you pretend to buy cards

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What are some other nerd hobbies this can be done with? Is there any relevant pokeman things? Pogs? Those spinning top things? Hi

Edit - because I want to watch the world burn. Maybe I can document it with a thread.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 10, 2016

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FBIASSMAN69 posted:

mom's spaghetti?

Martin Shkreli.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Martini. Shkrelied, not stirred.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax Scroll posted:

so you pretend to buy cards

yes, exactly

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
though if you want to get more meta about it, there is a game called Millennium Blades that simulates buying magic cards in a market and fake tournaments. there is no actual card game involved, just the collecting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prH3hv3L17c

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If this guy wanted to be a real huge dick he'd buy classic muscle cars and drop them off cranes/livestream crushing them or destroying exceedingly rare guns like US-marked Lugers, or like melt down vintage Tiffany jewelry into rear end-scratchers.

"Oops I thought this Faberge egg was a real egg so I smashed it with a hammer trying to make an omelette!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes guys it turns out the cards go for a lot because they have never been reprinted and a lot of people play this game. The game is actually modeled on the tournament-legal cards changing with every new release, so there's actually no incentive to reprint anything. Reprinting would actually undercut their business and the fan-base's confidence. It's a game company, so one day they will do something stupid like that anyway, but for now they are under mostly intelligent leadership.

This game is the only thing that keeps most hobby shops in business, and there are usually Magic events in said shops 5-6 nights a week that fill to the rafters. There are shops here in Seattle that, during the day, have guys doing nothing but sorting cards, taking orders, and sending out international mail orders. They are paid only in more Magic cards. All day every day.

thats kinda sad buddy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

It's obvious why he's doing this, the number of those rare old cards being sold is small enough he can effectively corner the market and then just sell em at whatever. It's literally the same strategy people corner mmo economies with, they just pick a sell value to stick to and then buy up anyone undercutting them so everyone else has to buy from them. It's basically foolproof as long as you can afford the initial investment.

I hope someone sells him a fake

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Martin Shkreli eat the eggs

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

imagine if you had aids n also play MtG haha ya imagine it just imagine haha i bet it'd sweird

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
All I know about mtg is in heartsstone the guy (bryan kibler?)was from MTG and worked on heartsstone and he is stupid retard thats the reason heartsstone turned out utter poo poo. So, in conclusion, gently caress you Martin Shrekli.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont get how you can be so stupid with money. You have all this money, but you're not buying heroin to be on heroin all the time for the rest of your life. loving magic cards, what a waste.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

social vegan posted:

imagine if you had aids n also play MtG haha ya imagine it just imagine haha i bet it'd sweird

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I dont get how you can be so stupid with money. You have all this money, but you're not buying heroin to be on heroin all the time for the rest of your life. loving magic cards, what a waste.

Yupp, If I was as rich as him it would be drugs and sex all day erryday.

• Locked thread