Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Problem description: I was given an AMD graphics card earlier this year to replace my old and badly out of date nvidia card on my desktop, and have suffered periodic crashes in the past few months when playing certain graphics-intensive games - primarily World of Warcraft but also occasionally Red Faction Guerrilla. I had never had any trouble with Civilization 5, Final Fantasy 14, or Saint's Row 4. Yesterday, I updated my AMD drivers after another crash but doing so has caused audio issues with games, DVD movies, youtube videos, etc. Music and some sound effects work fine, but other sound effects - particularly anything involving voices - are soft, garbled, or muted entirely. I haven't played any games long enough to assess whether the crashes are an issue again. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but with the updates yesterday and today, AMD has installed with the new drivers two programs called Raptr and PlaysTV, which it did in a previous update some months ago. Googling these two programs said they were non-essential and didn't do anything I wanted, and also made the computer boot up and run more slowly so I uninstalled them, both when they cropped up months ago and now.

Attempted fixes: I rebooted the computer to no avail; reset and reinstalled the driver which didn't work; went into device manager, uninstalled the AMD audio driver, and restarted the computer, which hasn't worked either.

Recent changes: None not listed in Attempted Fixes.

Radeon Software Version - 16.7.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 980 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Power Supply: Evga 750W/850W Gold

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Googling audio issues with this update only gave me a reddit thread which suggested solutions involving speakers, which I don't have hooked up right now - I just use headphones.

Edit: Whoops, completely overlooked the thread tag. Sorry.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try installing the latest audio drivers for the sound chipset you're using, it's probably a Realtek chip so you'd get them from the Realtek website.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good idea, but it turned out the problem was simpler: my headphones (I've never bothered getting speakers for my computer) broke. Replaced the headphones and the audio's working fine.

• Locked thread