Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Those were the EASY two robot bosses - let's see how the last two, who are, in fact, the PENULTIMATE BOSSES of HLD, do for themselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What was that game you referred to in this video?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm reasonably sure it was a reference to Paradise Lost: First Contact

Here's the scene from HLD

Here's some pre-alpha footage from the game.

It's notable that you begin the game in a giant test-tube/vat too. This makes me wonder if any other games are referenced!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 22, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Meanwhile, an optional boss in Paradise Lost: First Contact -

The "Drifter".

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Bacter posted:

Meanwhile, an optional boss in Paradise Lost: First Contact -

The "Drifter".

Well that seems wonderfully blatant

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey all - sorry for the delay! Life and the usual stepped in. On the OTHER hand - we really just had the prep for the final boss, the final boss itself, and the secret final challenge (soccer goblin) to go - AND HERE THEY ARE!

This is a really great game, I've enjoyed the heck out of the LP, and I hope you all did too. Thanks for coming along!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Awesome lp, man. Had a really good time.

Was there going to be a south side closeup like the others?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Good LP, thanks.

I never liked super vague storytelling and this game did nothing to change that, but it doesn't makes it any less fun to play/watch.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I can echo the sentiment that the game is fun to play. My only complaints are all related to the chain dash and don't really diminish the overall experience.

I will say that during the epilogue, none of your controls work except for the map screen. Which then allows you to warp as normal, which as far as I can tell doesn't do anything special if done from the epilogue. This only appears to work if you view the epilogue immediately after finishing the game.

Thanks for the LP.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks Bacter, really enjoyed this LP of a cool looking game. I think the developers could have stuck a bit more lore in there without making it too on the nose, but it was an interesting setting none the less. As you said, there weren't many mechanisms in there to convey lore but maybe some more pictorial chats with people in the centre city would have been possible.

Unrelated but I just completed Oxenfree which I'd bought after watching the first few videos of your LP. An excellent experience, so my thanks for spreading the word on that one too. :)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

azren posted:

Awesome lp, man. Had a really good time.

Was there going to be a south side closeup like the others?

Glad you liked it! It was super fun to do, and I really do enjoy playing the game. LPing a game makes me get better than I would have casually. I DO plan to do the south side closeup and finish off NG+.

That said...

RottenK posted:

Good LP, thanks.

I never liked super vague storytelling and this game did nothing to change that, but it doesn't makes it any less fun to play/watch.

and

Fwoderwick posted:

Thanks Bacter, really enjoyed this LP of a cool looking game. I think the developers could have stuck a bit more lore in there without making it too on the nose, but it was an interesting setting none the less.

I fully agree. I think there's a difference between, say, Dark Souls or Salt & Sanctuary, where your story is kind of left vague BUT there's a tremendous amount of lore, and a game like this, where, just, there really isn't enough information to say much for sure.

It was a beautiful game, the mechanics were good (that said)...

Brutakas posted:

I can echo the sentiment that the game is fun to play. My only complaints are all related to the chain dash and don't really diminish the overall experience.

I wish there was more to do with the chain dash. It IS handy to get around, and it makes mobility important, but it kind of never feels fully realized.

The boss rush was a great addition, like I said, because the bosses are very good at testing mastery of various mechanics, and when you're able to just tear your way through them it feels GOOD.

Overall, if the thing goes on sale, or you're looking for a fun pretty game, this is the place for you. Just not if you want miles deep lore, or an ending that ties things together!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Good lp Bacter, was a backer of this game but I never made it past the final boss and I found the keyboard controls a little sticky for my tastes. Overall it's a beautiful little game and we all appreciate you showing it off in fine detail and all those great new retro waves beats too.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Did you get the bonus character? I forget, did all backers get those, or was it a tier?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Must have been a tier thing, I just paid for the digital copy of the game and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well speaking OF, I think it's time for our final roundup (WITH SPECIAL GUEST IN THE SOUTHSIDE CLOSEUP!)

• Locked thread