Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Apocadall posted:

or responsibility for what they program, that's always seemed like one of the biggest part of actual engineering is that your name is on it, people could die, you have a responsibility to engineer a solution that is safe and effective

criminal liability for data breaches needs to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that would own so hard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dunno about that one. is there criminal liability for lock manufacturers when someone breaks into your house?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
a better analogy is the liability of a bank holding a safe deposit box or something similar

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
which i think is also no liability so whatever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno about that one. is there criminal liability for lock manufacturers when someone breaks into your house?

there certainly is for medical records

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok, sure, you can be held liable for the records being stolen. but can you sue the filing cabinet company if the burglars manage to snap the lock and steal the medical records?

this is like "charge target with losing the records" vs "charge whoever wrote target's software"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think criminalizing or at least heavily regulating programming is the correct solution

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

ok, sure, you can be held liable for the records being stolen. but can you sue the filing cabinet company if the burglars manage to snap the lock and steal the medical records?

this is like "charge target with losing the records" vs "charge whoever wrote target's software"

yes

that's what HIPAA is all about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres a certain standard for physical security you have to use for hipaa compliance and its probably laid out in NIST somewhere. good luck finding it tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but if you bought a lock that claims to meet whatever regulatory compliance but it turns out it fails in action you might have a case against them. the trick, tho, is to make sure they assume liability in the first place. like when we do stuff w/ vendors (ex: our fax webservice provider) we have it in writing that they assume liability for breaches in their system while handling our data.

extending even the rudimentary hipaa standards to all personal information would be huge and good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
our enterprise webapp crrm/box office platform had some pci compliance change and now it prompts for a password relog every like 15 mins and its extremely annoyiung esp kuz u need 2 have it open in 2 windows (1x normal, 1x other browser or incognito or else it blows up) to do any meaninful work so i have to play whack a mole with it all day

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

probably for classified documents too if the military can prove the safe was compromised under the time limit specified by the standard the manufacturer is compliant to

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just want to reply to the thread topic once again to say "no"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

Engineer is my favorite class in tf2 when I wanna just chill and drink a beer while playing.

if you're a good shot with a hitscan weapon, that shotgun that fires metal and returns damage as metal is broken as gently caress
esp if you're an ADD trolly gunslinger engineer like me
get behind some fuckos and just macro drop sentries while shotgunning them to refill forever

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

mama mia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just want to reply to the thread topic once again to say "no"

yosposter jewkiller 3000 brings the hottest takes

• Locked thread