Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Welcome to the PBP/Online Board Gaming Thread

This thread is to be used to make it easy to see what PBP/online games are currently running, if they are looking for players/replacements, announcements of new games and as a general resource for playing board games online.

Websites to play games online:

Vassal: Mostly good for wargames/grognardy games, can be extremely useful if you are planning to do your own PBPs since for some games it provides full scans of all the pieces.
Tabletop Simulator: Physics enabled: used to be just fun to play around but the developers have improved it and can be good to play stuff like X-Wing now.
Boardgaming Online (Through the Ages): Has new and old TTA, very good implementation, accommodates both PBEM and instantaneous play.
Yucata: Has a bunch of games, haven't used it that much.
Board Game Arena: Pretty slick interface for some games.
BrettSpielWelt: Used to be the standard to play online, but it's pretty crappy now and old and there are better places.
Boardgame Core: Has the only implementation of Food Chain Megnate, recommended.
Boitajeux: Has a bunch of implementations for Dungeon Lords/Petz and many other games besides.
Fantasy Strike: Website for Yomi/Puzzle Strike/Other Sirlin games.
Terra Mystica Online: Does what it says on the tin.

Threads that usually announce their PBP

BattleCON/Level 99
Battlestar Galactica

How Tos

How to Run a PBP (by Stelas)

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Games Looking for Players

Games Currently Running
[PBP] Food Chain Magnate - I'm Runnin' It
[PBP] Food Chain Magnate - Kiddy Meal
[PBP] Falling Sky - Sky not actually guaranteed to fall
[PBP] Statecraft - Make the Games Room Great Again
[PBP] Statecraft - It Connotes Excitement
[PBP] EXCEED - Pretty good game, terrible art
[PBP] Pandemic Legacy - Diseases in easy monthly installments

Mage KnightKeyflowerClash of CulturesRobinson CrusoeEldritch HorrorBattlestar GalacticaDungeon LordsFood Chain Magnate

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 24, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
There's also a near perpetual cycle of BattleCON PBPs going on over in the Level 99 Games thread. We even have an automated bot to handle games now.

EDIT: And Tek has updated, rendering this first post hilariously useless! Hooray!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 10, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some time ago I wrote a bunch of words about how to take some of the effort out of running PBPs and how to manage your files and images to help cut down the amount of work you do. It's still pretty appropriate, but I'll take a look and see if it could use some editing.

I guess if I rewrote it nowadays I'd definitely mention http://www.boardgamer.ru/ whose forums have occasionally saved me a poo poo-ton of time and effort in making scans.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 10, 2016

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I believe there was a Discord server set up, maybe it's worth including in the OP to give somewhere people can voice chat to without hassle?

So to kick this off I would like to play a learning game of Food Chain Magnate, preferably in real time, or at least beginning in real time for explanations, and either Thursday evening or weekend in general works for me (GMT) if anyone fancies helping me in my Board Game Education. I don't mind how many players, I just want to try the game!

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 11, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Not sure when I'll have the time (due to dadly duties), but I want to try playing Talon over VASSAL. Anyone else interested?

https://youtu.be/xC225joIgKQ

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I wouldn't mind having a go of FCM at some point, though I'm on the butt-end of the world so it's going to be a little hard unless it's async.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hello friends come play this game by clicking the image below thanks in advance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I started a game of EXCEED. I don't mind running another one so if you are interested let me know.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm halfway through the OP of a Pandemic Legacy PbP, so I guessed I'd probe for interest. 4 players, probably rotating if there is enough interest.

Also, I'm not really sure how to handle quarterbacking. Cutting table talk completely seems too limiting, while having everyone discuss every single move for an entire day would make the game too easy and remove player agency. Hidden hands seems an outright bad idea.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm halfway through the OP of a Pandemic Legacy PbP, so I guessed I'd probe for interest. 4 players, probably rotating if there is enough interest.

Also, I'm not really sure how to handle quarterbacking. Cutting table talk completely seems too limiting, while having everyone discuss every single move for an entire day would make the game too easy and remove player agency. Hidden hands seems an outright bad idea.

I'm in

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Would limited posting work? 1-2 posts of x characters for planning/discussions, and post as needed for game moves. I've seen werewolf games use that sort of structure for a change.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

YOOO HI

quote:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you spot someone actively being way too overbearing (as a player) or posting walls of text (as a spectator). (Retrospective posts from both sides should probably be encouraged because it'd be pretty interesting if done right.) Otherwise, I feel like your players and readers will probably be there to see what happens rather than worrying too much about strictly following game mechanics, so the speed + energy of the thread might be the more important factor.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

I would like to Join this Game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, here it is. 24 hours to sign up while I figure how to cobble together a P:L map. jpegs are going to cry.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Dunno if this is the right venue, but I'm running another PBP of my game in design, MELTWATER.

Abstractish/wargamish tactical starvation simulator in post-nuclear Antarctica. Need two players who are prepared to beat the poo poo out of each other and beat the poo poo out of my rulebook.

Current rules here, cards and map here, previous PBPs here and here. Any takers?

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 21, 2016

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
This game looks very interesting and I love the theme. Rules look good, I want in please!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Current rules here, cards and map here, previous PBPs here and here. Any takers?

I feel like you'd get an interesting cross-section of players eager to plough through the design if you posted that in the main BG thread - might be worth doing? I'd sign up but I'm already running and playing in enough games at the moment, unfortunately.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I went and pulled together links to all my games while doing backups. Newest first, for my own reference and anyone wanting some reading:

Mage KnightKeyflowerClash of CulturesRobinson CrusoeEldritch HorrorBattlestar GalacticaDungeon LordsFood Chain Magnate

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

I feel like you'd get an interesting cross-section of players eager to plough through the design if you posted that in the main BG thread - might be worth doing? I'd sign up but I'm already running and playing in enough games at the moment, unfortunately.

I already tried that a couple months ago, didn't get much of a bite. And I don't wanna just keep blasting the thread with it. Seems weird and pushy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If anyone feels like yomi let me know tia.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Stelas posted:

Wouldn't cross-posting the game in the BG thread render this thread a bit pointless. Not that practically it's not a good idea, I would like someone to play with!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Terra Mystica Online owns. If anyone is playing there, I'm actually in need of some new games. My username is "neal" and feel free to add me.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Welp. Crossposting from the BG thread.

“Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war, if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win.” ~Gen. Thomas Power, U.S. Strategic Air Command 1957-1964

MELTWATER (working title) is a two-player board game of tactical starvation and mutually assured destruction at the end of the earth, currently under development by Erin Escobedo, aka me, Gutter Owl! The game is currently in open beta for Rules Version 0.62. I need PBP playtesters to put this thing through the wringer, so if this sounds at all like your thing, please sign up here!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Keyflower, 6 players is up!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Is this thread too dead to ask about weekend games being set up? Or was that Disclose channel popular enough that visiting there is a better bet?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I used to run a weekend group, though when I moved my timezone got all hosed up and I got a lot busier at weekends so I haven't had the chance to set anything up yet. Discord's a good plan if you want to arrange on the spot games, but there's benefit in grabbing a collection of people and going 'hey meet up every week', especially with the number of ways to play games online now available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

For those following, there are two new MELTWATER playtest threads.

[MELTWATER Playtest] As you know, the Premier loves surprises (Rumda vs Electric Hobo)
[MELTWATER Playtest] You ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water? (Sailor Viy vs Fat Turkey)

And again, if anyone is interested in a game, feel free to hit me up in one of the threads or via PM.

• Locked thread