Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Problem description: I have a desktop PC connected to a router based network through a powerline adapter. Whenever I attempt to download anything, namely via Steam, it will download fine for a couple of minutes, and then my entire network goes down. Not just my PC's connection, the network shits the bed. All devices on wifi or wired connection (phones, TV, girlfriend's laptop) lose internet access. The modem lights indicate that there is in fact internet coming in, but the router just goes tits up. Interestingly, this only happens MOST of the time; sometimes, I can download stuff without a hitch. The network eventually reactivates after anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

Development while posting this. My girlfriend just tried to download Chrome over wifi on her new laptop we got today, and it killed our network. Can't be sure it wasn't coincidence but...

Attempted fixes: Restarting modem and/or router did nothing; even when the network goes down, restarting the modem or router does not reset anything. I have tried throttling download speeds thinking maybe the router couldn't handle higher speeds. When that failed, I bought a new router and set up a new network, with the same end results. I was next going to buy and install a new ethernet adapter for my PC, but I don't understand what in my machine would be causing the entire network to die.

Recent changes: This was not happening at my last address, and was not happening right after moving here (to an established network). The problem seems to be getting worse (it has been about 3 days now I've been trying to download a 10gb game bit by bit.)

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64x

System specs: Intel i7 quadcore, 8 gb RAM, Toshiba DAZ8821F modem, Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ router

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What kind of Internet service do you have? If cable, post your signal levels from the modem diagnostics page.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alereon posted:

What kind of Internet service do you have? If cable, post your signal levels from the modem diagnostics page.

Brighthouse Cable

How do I access that? I've tried entering http://192.168.100.1 in the address bar and get nothing back.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Googling seems to indicate that modem is super ancient, I'd swap it with a newer model from the ISP to see if that helps.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alereon posted:

Googling seems to indicate that modem is super ancient, I'd swap it with a newer model from the ISP to see if that helps.

I could just buy an approved one too, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah that would probably work if you don't have any fancy services like phone or home security, though I would rent one from your ISP to see if that fixes it before you buy one. The Motorola/Arris SB6183 is a good choice, or the 6141 if you don't think you'll need such high speeds. Do note that a new generation of modems is about to launch, so while they probably wouldn't be a good buy because of high prices when new, make sure you get a good deal as you may not get as much lifespan as you'd hope out of a modem you buy now.

• Locked thread