Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
New people should be required to take a video of themselves watching Lawler/Manhoef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

you guys are the best. i'm going to be swimming in gray matter for days

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

New people should be required to take a video of themselves watching Lawler/Manhoef

I was so sure Robbie's leg was going to burst open like an overcooked sausage and then they simultaneously performed their party tricks and it was glorious.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I am so in favor of this you have no idea

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

I am so in favor of this you have no idea

Can we also make it a rule that the video needs to be linked when it's brought up because it never gets old?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-strikeforce-miami

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I hadn't seen Manhoef/Lawler before. Hell of a fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm obviously in the minority here, but i can't watch that fight more than once a year. it's such a savage beating that even the surprise ending doesn't make it any more comfortable to watch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can we also make it a rule that the video needs to be linked when it's brought up because it never gets old?

https://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-melvin-manhoef-strikeforce-miami

Why make it a rule? Mods need to filter Lawler-Manhoef to that link.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Turn it into a double feature with Cyborg/Manhoef

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

vainman posted:

Turn it into a double feature with Cyborg/Manhoef

I or II?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Uh, the one that isn't 20 seconds long. Although you can watch that too

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Scott Smith vs Pete Sell is an all time great that no one ever talks about, but I'm always slightly reluctant to recommend it to new fans in case they don't yet appreciate how a liver shot works.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same. And dear god that was awesome.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You've been here forever. How the hell had you avoided that fight? I'm genuinely curious.

I watched it live and I was bummed for Melvin, tbh.

e: anyone have a link to that Strikeforce GDT or B-League thread from that era? I'm genuinely curious what the response was.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eat This Glob posted:

You've been here forever. How the hell had you avoided that fight? I'm genuinely curious.

e: anyone have a link to that Strikeforce GDT or B-League thread from that era? I'm genuinely curious what the response was.

I didn't watch all the strikeforce cards back in the day. I've only ever really watched UFC stuff unless there was something in the B leagues that I just had to see.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CommonShore posted:

Why make it a rule? Mods need to filter Lawler-Manhoef to that link.

Wow. :aaaaa: That was amazing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260855

EDIT: Melvin/Lawler starts page 5

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 7, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Thanks! I hope I don't look too dickish

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can we have some highlights for those of us without archives?

And if I didn't know better, I'd almost think Lawler was happily sacrificing his leg to his blood god purely so he could land that specific punch from hell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can we have some highlights for those of us without archives?

And if I didn't know better, I'd almost think Lawler was happily sacrificing his leg to his blood god purely so he could land that specific punch from hell.

Lots of

quote:

manhoef is about to kill a man live on television yall

quote:

Lawler said he plans on stand with Melvin. Lawler is already dead.

quote:

there is absolutely no way

With a rare smattering of

quote:

Manhoef gonna get his chin touched and timmmmbbbbbeeeeeer.

Then during the fight

quote:

lawler is getting dissected

quote:

holy poo poo lawler is getting tenderized

quote:

Lawler appears to have no particular gameplan other than "try not to get hit in face" and I think he's about to get TKO'd by these leg kicks

then

quote:

WHATTTTTTTTTT

quote:

WHAT

quote:

HOLY gently caress

quote:

omg what just happened?

quote:

hahahahahaa what the gently caress

quote:

Uhhhhhhhhh what just happened

quote:

I don't understand. My brain is rejecting the entire concept like a bad organ transplant.

Then the guy who said Manhoef was getting felled got smug. I hope he had money on it, because the odds must have been pretty out there for a Lawler win.

Oh and later in the thread mobn gives a bunch of advice about how to get a guillotine from a sprawl which I'm going to ahead and ignore.

Memento fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 7, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You should quote mobn's advice instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should quote mobn's advice instead.

Mage of Blackest Night posted:

Grabbing a guillotine from the sprawl is way harder than it looks. You have to move your hips and shoulders enough that you can end up giving a reversal pretty easily.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What the gently caress lol

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bluedeanie posted:

Scott Smith vs Pete Sell is an all time great that no one ever talks about, but I'm always slightly reluctant to recommend it to new fans in case they don't yet appreciate how a liver shot works.

Iirc that wasn't actually a liver shot, he broke his rib.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

I like watching dudes get knocked out. Chuck Liddell's career is very entertaining for me to watch since win or lose, someone is probably getting (T)KO'd (62% of his wins and 75% of his losses). i'm trying to find some other fighters who turned out like this, I thought Tito would be good for this but at 44%/33% he's pretty weak. can't even get knocked unconscious good enough, Tito. Rich Franklin is at 52% and 71%. are there any other guys I should be trying to track down to fit this weird fightpass craving?

Todd Duffee

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

For fighters with a good finishing/getting finished rate I always go to Gilbert Yvel. He had a 100% finish rate in his wins (33 ko, 6 sub) and only went to decision 6 times all in losses in 57 fights. The rest of his 16 losses are evenly spread between getting ko'd 4 times, subbed 3 times, and DQ'd 3 times (once for biting, once for eye gouging, once for KO'ing the Referee so thats another finish)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
yvel v don frye is probably the first fight id show someone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bundt Cake posted:

yvel v don frye is probably the first fight id show someone

God drat yvel is the dirtiest motherfucker. Eye gouging, rope grabbing, shoving the ref, and I'm not even halfway through.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

God drat yvel is the dirtiest motherfucker. Eye gouging, rope grabbing, shoving the ref, and I'm not even halfway through.

Still not as good as the time Bob Schrijber axe kicked a grounded opponent after the bell while holding the ropes. Fatherdog said "the only way that could have been more illegal is if he'd used a steel chair"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Nice! posted:

he keeps up the eye gouging. its nasty

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Still not as good as the time Bob Schrijber axe kicked a grounded opponent after the bell while holding the ropes. Fatherdog said "the only way that could have been more illegal is if he'd used a steel chair"

incidentally Dirty Bob v Yvel is a rivalry across 2 sports that produced like 4 great fights and one really pathetic one

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

It cannot be left out that it was aimed almost directly at the brainstem, too. And on a dude he outweighed by 40 pounds. It is the holy grail of cheating.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The dirtiest move ever has to go to Gerard Gerdeau eye-gouging Yuki Nakai so badly that he was permanently blind in one eye and ended his career

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That night Nakai submitted Gordeau and another dude then got beat up and choked by Rickson. That guy was tough as gently caress.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Fairly sure the dirtiest move ever was committed by Matt Hughes on a hospital bed against his most reoccurring opponent: His wife.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That night Nakai submitted Gordeau and another dude then got beat up and choked by Rickson. That guy was tough as gently caress.

Then he hid the fact he became blind so as to protect the reputation of the sport.

Then he went to train with the gracies and became the first Japanese bjj black belt. The man belongs in the mma pantheon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fentry posted:

For fighters with a good finishing/getting finished rate I always go to Gilbert Yvel. He had a 100% finish rate in his wins (33 ko, 6 sub) and only went to decision 6 times all in losses in 57 fights. The rest of his 16 losses are evenly spread between getting ko'd 4 times, subbed 3 times, and DQ'd 3 times (once for biting, once for eye gouging, once for KO'ing the Referee so thats another finish)

Isn't that the fight where the other guy ran away while Yvel battered the referee?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You fuckers forgot the best part of the Lawler Manhoef fight. The stats.http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/7091bfae576ff565 Lawler was outstruck 24-3. Yet those three were enough.

It's the second best fight stat in MMA. After Leonard Garcia throwing 130 strikes in a fight and landing 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We probably don't need this thread AND the Combat Sports Q&A thread stickied anymore, it's been a couple of months since either was posted in but the Combat Sports thread is probably a better catch-all to leave stickied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its kind of poetic that the 200 thread comes unstickied the day after Artem Lobov's completely inorganic career trajectory is terminated (yet again)

• Locked thread