Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope it's something magical. Knowing this game, it probably will be.

Though, is this the last update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
The last story update, yeah. I'll be doing a postmortem in a few days, while going back and editing old updates to make them not terrible less terrible.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 31: To Be the Best

I know it's been a long time since we first started playing this game, but remember our original goal?

Guide posted:

Objective: The goal in Digimon Online is to become the strongest of the over 200,000 players and become World Champ. Only Server Champs, the winner of the Server Tournaments, can enter the World Champ Tournament. You must defeat the 4 City Leaders in order to enter the Server Tournament, so good luck!

How about we finally get around to that, then.

Click for music

Qing Long City is the only other city in the postgame; the usual suspects are in the same place as before, so you can still rest at an inn, save, adjust your Digimon party, deal with card packs, and all that fun stuff.

Airdramon: Hey! What's all that racket out there!

This guy right here. He's probably the least lovely character in this game. We just asked him to help, and then he did without asking for a bullshit fetch quest or anything.

You're in my good graces, my guy.

Except triggering that was completely optional.

Tamer Andy: I'll tell you now, you'll be no match for me!

I don't even know who this idiot is. I have a sneaking suspicion we fought him in the regular game, but like every NPC all he wants to do now is play cards.

Go ahead, Yeti! Play cards! DO ITTTT. You know you want to.

Teddy's also hanging around Qing Long.

Teddy: I'm doing just great, of course! He he he.

Garudamon Guardromon: I'll do my best to protect Digimon Online!

Wow. loving wow.

Did I... Did I just miss that the first time? I could have sworn she was named Garudamon there... It really does say something about the quality of this game that I can't remember if they've misspelled it every time or just here.

Any goons feel like double checking? I sure as hell don't.

"Chinron"? :fuckoff:

...the gently caress?

Sarah: Then again the Seiryu leader is handsome too!

Emily the Photographer: Wow! I'm such a big fan of yours! Can I take a photo?

RECOGNITION

Our first stop (though, only first because I'm doing these guys in the order we fought them, the postgame bosses can be fought in any order) is Gary Oak the Chinron the Qing Long leader.

Chinron Leader: Ah, I see you have all 5 strongest Epic Items! OK then, I will battle you! Bring it on!

Alright, so here's the thing - you need to have all 5 of the strongest weapons forged, or the Leaders won't fight you.

Fortunately, we have all of those, so gently caress having to go through the Circuit Board again.

The Leader battles are just the few Digimon that were boss-related and weren't Black Digimon. I'm not going to bother with the fight videos for these nerds again.

Chiron Leader: ...Epic Items! Keep it up, and you'll go straight to the top!

There's only two areas we haven't explored yet, so let's get to that.

Shakkoumon: We owe it all to Kurt and his amazing staff!

Not anything at all with the people that, y'know, saved the world or anything. Not anything to do with us at all. Nope.

(gently caress this game)

I just complimented you, gam- Ah, gently caress it. I just don't care anymore.

Click for ambience

Our next stop on our quest for total domination is the Protocol areas, Protocol Forest and Protocol Ruins. When I first explored the world two updates ago, I just skipped over them, since I knew we'd be coming back anyway.

Encounters:
-Walking in the open (near the entrances):
Minotarumon (brown)
Dokugumon (black)
-Walking inside the deep forest in the middle:
Goburimon (red)
Dokugumon (red)

Tamer Akiba: I've come back to Digimon Online. La la-la la la--la!

Nobody cares.

Click for music

Though, really there's nothing interesting in Protocol Forest itself, everything we want is in here.

Encounters:
-Walking
Baronmon
Minotarumon (white)
Mummymon
Gargoylemon

Tamer Gon: Woops! Some habits are hard to stop!

I'm so confused by this guy, honestly. Why? Why is hiding a habit when you're playing a video game? Are you one of those assholes that glitches into ridiculous spots in MMOs and then promises ridiculous rewards if anyone finds you?

"Video games mimic real life. :v:"

More importantly, Baronmon is just chilling out here, mainly because the South Sector isn't available in the postgame. And Baronmon offers a very important service.

Baronmon: I am in charge of account changes. If a Digimon wishes to change his name, he must do so here!

That's right! We can rename our Digimon (though not ourselves, sadly, so Kite will stay Junior for the duration of this).

There we go, a terrible wrong has been righted.

Agreed. :colbert:

Armed with the terrible might of Fuzzums, Mawuh, and Ninetail(s), let's continue on with destroying all of the Leaders.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they mistranslated Qing Long Leader, especially since the city name is correct. :iiam:

Our resident translation goon will be appalled here. Not that this is a new fuckup for the game. ...Should have kept a tally.

Zhu Que Leader: ...the 5 strongest Epic Items. You aren't half bad! Very well. Show me what you've got. I'll fight you now!

Cherrymon (Red), Zanbamon, and...

... That cat.

Oh no... Furries...

NO. :fuckoff:

YIFF IN HELL, BITCH.

The reason I waited was because there's two Leaders in the Protocol Ruins, so I just wanted to get them out of the way at the same time.

Bai Hu Leader: ...strongest Epic Items, are they? I never dreamed a tamer would actually be able to get them! You may be able to entertain me yet! Very well, come at me then. And don't let me down!

I give the game poo poo for, well basically everything, since let's face it it's more than earned at this point, but I do appreciate the small differences in the NPC dialogue. I fully expected the game to just copy-paste the pre-fight dialogue, to be honest.

Gryphonmon, MetalSeadramon, and HiAndromon. It's worth noting that Gryphonmon and Cherrymon are, in fact, random encounters in other areas, if for some reason you still want to play this game after beating all the bosses.

Finally, the last area I haven't shown off.

Click for ambience

Tyranno Valley has a weird mix of Digimon.

Encounters:
-Walking, most of the area
Gryphonmon
Valkyrimon
LadyDevimon
Tyrannomon
-Walking, small patch of land down the ladder to the right near the entrance:
MetalTyrannomon

The MetalTyrannomon are encountered in the landing spot after we jump off the higher cliff, if it's not clear. Then again, none of these environments are very clear, so my way of putting it probably didn't help much.

Nope, I've been lost the whole game. Go back and redo it. Noob LPer, report.

I was only half sarcastic.

You're right, you've been lost the whole game :v:

Veteran Shiro: ...real tamer too!

Tamer Haruko: Wow! One tamer saved the entire world!

It's a weird mix of the NPCs having no idea who the gently caress we are, and then the other NPCs idolizing us. Maybe only the human players know what we did?

loving right. I want a holiday in Kite'sJunior's name.

Anyway, let's just get this over with.

Xuan Wu Leader: ...but unless you have the 5 Epic Items... What? You have them? ..........Alright, I guess I'll have to fight you then. But I ain't going to go easy on you, so watch out!

MR.CUDDLES

SkullMammothmon, WaruMonzaemon, and Whamon. Whamon is a random encounter in the Plug Cape Seabed.

Now. We've beat all four Leaders.

Time to fight the final boss of the game.

Arena Reception: Please, proceed to the Arena!
Junior: Uh... who exactly do I fight now?
Arena Reception: Heh heh heh! You'll just have to wait and see! Go on. Your opponent is already waiting!
Junior: Alright! The strongest tamer!

The elevator descends, and we've finally done it - we've finally found a new area in the postgame.

Oh my god, I didn't think they had it in them.

This is so cool, guys. Excitement.

Junior: So, this is the Arena. I wonder which guy's my opponent? I'm ready!

Bam. Here we are, the final fight... and it's against Kurt.

Oh, hey. They didn't forget about him!

Kurt: Hey! Junior! I knew you'd go all the way!
Junior: Huh? Kurt? Don't tell me you're the strongest tamer!
Kurt: That's right! I'm glad to be facing you here. I've always wanted to fight you all-out!
Junior: I've felt the same! There's no worthier opponent than you!
Kurt: Ha ha! I'm going to enjoy this! Let the fun begin! Don't hold back!

So, we could ask a few questions, like 'Why is Kurt the strongest tamer? Did he just cheat his way into the position as the guy who made this thing?' or 'Why the hell would Kite think Kurt's a worthy opponent when we've only met him once, and he was dressed as a Numemon at the time?'

Those are valid complaints. Kurt was never presented all that well. He was pig'd too early.

Click for music! This is a pro-click.

Too repetitive for my tastes, actually.

It's excellent at getting you in the zone when you're trying to figure out your best move when playing the game, in my opinion! It's got a little drive to the beat, but it's not too in your face about it.

Ahem. Instead, I will invite you all to not worry about the game's gaping plot holes and just watch the fight. The music is pretty amazing.

Kurt leads off with Datamon, and I've sent out Mr. Fuzzums to capitalize on the elemental weakness I can hit with Marsmon. More importantly, Fuzzums is tanky, and that's needed; Datamon hits four times per attack, remember, and can use Auto-Recover to get back 2/3rds of the damage I can deal in one turn. At about 25% health left, Datamon turns into a slugfest.

For reference, Fuzzums is hitting his weakest defence, with max attack AND an elemental weakness, and I'm still only doing 666 damage. (nice)

Dang. Datamon is annoying as poo poo. At least Auto Recover uses up his turn.

First one down.

Next up is Bulbmon. Why Kurt's using an A.o.A Digimon I don't know, but whatever.

I'm countering with Ninetails to strike at Bulbmon's Thunder weakness coupled with low Wisdom, which means the Magic attacks are extra powerful.

Problem is, Mad Pump is Physical-based, and Ninetails isn't the most durable. That was one hit, by the way, with max stats on my Digimon. You NEED to have high-leveled Digimon, and you NEED to have high stats. If you don't, you will get wiped easily.

Still, I managed to take it down without much trouble.

Kurt's final Digimon is Armageddemon, the miniboss we fought on the Gunslinger.

It's still just as weak to fire as it was then.

And guess what I discovered while experimenting?

Diaboromon and Imperialdramon-P (Paladin mode) can DNA digivolve.

This is AncientGreymon.

AncientGreymon says gently caress your poo poo.

This, by the way, was the attack that one-shot Persiamon. It did barely HALF of Armageddemon's HP.

You need strong Digimon or you will lose.

Good. This time the game has a good excuse for making you grind.

Fortunately, Mawuh still has access to Giga Fire, and murders the ever-loving poo poo out of Armageddemon.

Congratulations, Giver. We did it. We beat the final fight of this game.

:woop: YAY! WE DID IT

Kurt: Congratulations, Junior! You beat me fair and square! Now you're the new strongest tamer!
Junior: Thank you!
Kurt: Soon Digimon Online will be restored. As the first World Champion, you should take on all the challengers that'll come from around the world.
Junior: Me? The first World Champ? Well, I'll try to do my best!
Kurt: I'll be counting on you! You still have some time though. Until then, fight more and get even stronger!
Junior: Don't worry. I'm going to be the strongest World Champ ever!

Kurt, my guy, I've got every Digimon at level 99 with 999 stats in everything. I got this poo poo.

Arena Reception: But, you have only just begun your tamer training. I wish good luck to you and all the Digimon!

This... This is what victory feels like.

Goodbye everyone!

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 11, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering the movies, it seems kind of wrong to make a DNA Digivolution between Diaboromon and Imperialdramon (Paladin).

I'm also not sure how you get Ancient Greymon from those two. :psyduck:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Considering the movies, it seems kind of wrong to make a DNA Digivolution between Diaboromon and Imperialdramon (Paladin).

This game came out around the time inbetween Digimon Tamers and Digimon Frontier. Digimon World 3 was mostly there to promote the new season. Hell, the back cover of the CD case shamelessly admits so.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Con...gratulations? I guess?

Man, the game doesn't even give you an alternate credits or a useless key item?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's Digimon. You're lucky if digivolution lines are consistent at all between games(barring the lines from the anime). Just...don't think about it too hard.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It shouldn't come from those two, that's the game just throwing it in because it was the new hotness at the time. Though really, according to the actual card game, 90% of digivolution lines intersect over and over and over again anyway, so it's a pretty loose system.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
Nevermind the card game.
The recent Digimon RPG, Digimon Cyber Sleuth makes a point of it that with a handful of steps you can pretty much move from anything to anything else.

Enjoy your Greymon, but would prefer him to be Lucemon, the literal Satan Digimon? Go for it, you could probably do it in 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what you've unlocked and whether you have a good team to grind out the requirements for it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Postmortem: Thoughts on the Project

First and foremost, the LP Curse on this game has been broken!

:toot:

Back a year ago, when I started this LP, I really didn't expect it to drag on this long. still faster than the bn3 lp Still, it was a game from my childhood, back when I only had two PS1 games and this was one. The other was Rayman 2, so, uh, rock and a hard place.

I'd say childhood me had worse taste, but nah, I knew it was a bad game even then. Still, I'd always wanted to finish the game, and this was a good excuse for it.

As for me, I had Digimon World...2? The dungeon crawler one, and I can safely say I hated every aspect of it.

In a way, I'm glad I got to finish this game, even if I very quickly got infuriated and fed up with this game's bullshit. It's one of the games that I never managed to finish - hell, I never even managed to get halfway - and finally being done feels pretty great.

That's the abuse talking.

I did have a lot of fun (at times) even if playing the game was pretty drat boring when I had to grind.

What parts did you have fun except for a few sparse moments. What parts. I want to know, MISTER.

Fighting the bosses was actually fun. They were the only things in the game that were challenges that seemed reasonable, instead of just being walls labeled must be this level to ride.

From what I can tell, the game does have some charm and fun at first. The Overworld does look very pretty, and some of the boss fights looked engaging as can be for a turn-based style of combat. It isn't like it's all bad.

Like, I'm not going to lie, Lord Megadeath and everything to do with the A.o.A was :moreevil: and stupid as gently caress, but at the same time there was a weird sort of charm to making fun of the game. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself I didn't waste a year of my life doing this thing (minus like the month I took off to focus on not failing college classes).

The story and characters is where everything fucks up. Hell, it doesn't need to be great storytelling, just competent. The number one issue with this game was its pacing, all said. The story's pacing was hosed up, either revealing too much in one time frame, or forcibly elongating the plot points with pointless backtracking.

Backtracking can have its merits: sometimes there's a new way of traversing an area and you want the player to go through it. Sometimes there's a new instance for the player to check out, and you're making them learn how to get to it. Maybe there's a new enemy set. These have merit. What this game did constantly was force us to backtrack simply to extend the playtime.

The grinding as well, is included in the pacing. The dojo mechanic can permanently screw you, making you reload your nearest save to get the right stat increases. The random encounter rate seems pretty high, so you're inevitably forced to fight a ton of battles, bogging down everything.

They need to do away with the Dual XP system entirely. Just have Digimon gain moves by levelling. Adjust EXP rates to be better to compensate for the reduced encounter rate and you'd have a better flowing game.

I'd put some thought into how to make the levelling system better, and 90% of it was 'don't make the player have dead levels'. Only one in five levels MIGHT have something happen, and even then there's no guarantee; you'll only learn moves or digivolutions on levels 5, 10, etc. etc. and then finally level 99 when you hit max. I figure what would be best would be to drop the random stat gains from training, flatten the hell out of the level curve so that it doesn't take forever to level up, and then add in bonuses for maxing out a Digimon's Digivolution, like permanent stat buffs or something.

At least they weren't total jerks about the Digivolution paths, aside from a few ridiculous ones like Imperialdramon-P, which requires Omnimon and Imperialdramon-F at level 99, which respectively require WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon at level 40, and Imperialdramon at level 99, and the requirements chain just gets stupider and stupider. Most of the Digivolutions, though, are pretty easy to get (so long as you put in a little bit of effort). You'll probably end the game with two or three Megas per partner, all told.

There were parts of the game that can gently caress right off, and the less said about the card game the better. All in all, the game is super rough around the edges and is pretty much just a blatant cash grab on the franchise to coincide with the new series that released at the same time, but I can see some good ideas in the execution. Maybe with a little bit more polish and love, it'd be a pretty okay game.

Particularly the Seadbed and the Circuit Board. I don't know why fast travel becomes slow travel, but it's a thing. That's one of the first things that should be overhauled ASAP.

There's a lot of stuff I did gloss over a bit, so we might not be entirely finished. There's a lot of Digivolutions that never showed up in the LP itself, and once we hit the postgame I kinda just did whatever, so who knows, I might get around to making a video showcasing all of the Digivolutions.

Or maybe not, since now that I've finished playing this game I really don't want to touch it again. You jerks shouldn't be playing it yourself, either, so not like any of you care.

Show me all the Digivolutions. I want you to suffer.

All in all, the game is FINALLY finished. After like, three attempts by other people, Digimon World 3 has been LPed successfully. Thanks for sticking around, folks, it's been a wild ride. I'll be going back over the old updates to fix up a few things and get ready for archival, so the thread's gonna be open for a bit longer in case anyone has last-minute comments or art they want to post.

Giver+Yeti: Breaking the curses on games.

Please don't make us do more of these.

Yeti+Giver, this is my LP so I get top billing, alphabetical order and better parsing be damned :colbert:

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 11, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The curse is broken. No more have to be sacrificed to this game. :unsmith:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great work on this LP! As someone who lost hours to Knightmon and never picked the game back up, this has been a really fun read.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Huzzah, this game has finally been LP'd successfully! Congratulations!

GeneralYeti posted:

Giver+Yeti: Breaking the curses on games.

Please don't make us do more of these.
I still say you should do Digimon Digital Card Battle, an actual good game. :v:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Wow this and bomberman 64 the second attack pretty much both had their curses broken back to back (for me relatively speaking)

congrats.

It's not a great game, but kid me liked it and found it charming even though the game constantly kicks you in the neck.

I only ever beat the game once.

Thanks

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I got this game as a kid and gave up because of how lovely the grinding was. I'm glad I decided to never go back to it now, holy poo poo. I mean, I have the north american version, so I'd never be able to beat the game either way!

Thanks for showing is just how loving terrible this poo poo show of a game was!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Congratulations for beating a game that still technically exists in my PS1 collection but never got beyond the early stages.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXf0eMTH7TE

Wonder if someone's been reading along...

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Dabir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXf0eMTH7TE

Wonder if someone's been reading along...

Have Giver and Yeti LP Action 52 next. All 52 games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

I still say you should do Digimon Digital Card Battle, an actual good game. :v:

Agreed. I got kinda burned out on it since it is a little repetitive, though. But it is pretty good despite that.

I need to get back into it at some point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love that game so much. I love this franchise, but I hate the game side, except for that one and maybe Rumble Arena sometimes. Digital Card Battle is a super fun game and fully recommended.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
The newer games in the Digimon franchise are infinitely less terrible than Digimon World 3 and 4, which are arguably the worst things the franchise has ever produced. I'm not sure if you want to start another long JRPG, but if you want an enjoyable one, Cyber Sleuth could really use a quality screenshot LP that will actually get finished. (And I kind of want to see the post-depression character growth arc for Yeti and Giver.)

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I mean you say that but they made All-star Rumble three years after Cyber Sleuth and that game is far worse than 3 and 4.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

digivolution in these games is always arcane as poo poo, about the only ones that hold as a standard are the original tamer digimon from the first season

also congrats to being the first person to actually finish Digi World 3, now go home and sleep, there are no more battles to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

We've done it. This game is done.

Now nobody else has to suffer through it.

Giver and I are taking a break for now, but we'll (probably) be back eventually. Hopefully it'll be for a better game than this.

• Locked thread