Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I came across the The Internet of Voice Challenge this week which is a competition to combine Raspberry Pi and Amazon Echo into something new and exciting. After spending almost an hour copying and pasting commands into the command line and a $5 USB microphone from Amazon, I was up and running. I spent some time poking around in the code and then spent the better part of today basically writing sample dialogue between Alexa and the user, some basic outlining of functions I want to create with Python and that's about as far as I got. Ran into some issues, couldn't find a thread, so here we are.

What is Alexa?
Alexa, the voice service that powers Amazon Echo, provides capabilities, or skills, that enable customers to interact with devices in a more intuitive way using voice. Examples of skills include the ability to play music, answer general questions, set an alarm or timer, and more.

What is the Alexa Skills Kit?
The Alexa Skills Kit is a collection of self-service APIs, tools, documentation and code samples that make it fast and easy for you to add skills to Alexa. You can also use the Smart Home Skill API, a new addition to the Alexa Skills Kit, to easily teach Alexa how to control your cloud-controlled lighting and thermostat devices. All of the code runs in the cloud--nothing is on any user device.

How to get started?
I'd suggest browsing the list of resources on The Internet of Voice Challenge page. More specifically the quick start guides for Python or Node.js.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My current issue that I can't quite figure out is that I can send sample utterances via the service simulator to AWS Lambda and I get a response but if I try and use echosim.io with the exact same utterance I get random replies that have nothing to do with my skill.

• Locked thread