Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. If a laptop, post the FULL model number, which is usually on a sticker on the underside of the machine. Please also include the basic specs such as processor and how much memory you have. If home-built, list your processor, motherboard, graphics card, memory, power supply, hard drive(s), etc. If any other hardware or equipment is relevant to your problem, list it here. If you have a networking issue, post the brand/model/revision of your modem and router from the underside of the boxes. Don't just post the output of a program that claims to show your computer specs, like Speccy, as they are frequently wrong and don't provide enough information (though this is better than nothing if you truly have no idea).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No
Windows 10 64bit home built Asus z97-k motherboard. I5 CPU.
Corsair tx750 PSU and r290x you. Sitting down for breakfast this morning my PC which is on a table about four feet behind me gave out some sharp cracking sounds( it was switched off at the time). I tried to turn it on but nothing happens, It was powerd down for a week while I was on holiday, but I used it briefly last night. I am guessing the PSU failed but it seems strange as it was powered down. I am not sure I trust any where local to test the PSU and I have another installed in another PC I can swap. So what I am really saying is has anyone ever heard of a PSU failing while in standby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Well I tried another PSU the fuse had blown in the old PSU but something must have made it blow? The PSU I tried doesn't have the right connectors for a 290x and is only 550 watts . So I guess it's time to replace it with a new one.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is that an older power supply that you re-used or one you bought new? If older it probably just wore out.

• Locked thread