Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It doesn't help that he's probably having a top 3 worst periods in his life, what with the clone wife and the techno-organically infected baby

Although using big scale Mutant Things to avoid dealing with his personal life would be very Cyclops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mllaneza posted:

BTAS talk always puts me in mind of the movie poster gallery some mad artist made,

https://imgur.com/gallery/1HArE

:eyepop:

Those are freakin' amazing. The Two-Face, Perchance to Dream, and Almost Got 'Im ones are pure art.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The defense also gets pretty silly.

He was much classier at his other trial.

That one had a weird running plot of Magneto bringing out a special anti-racism helmet that may or may not have worked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

He was much classier at his other trial.

That one had a weird running plot of Magneto bringing out a special anti-racism helmet that may or may not have worked.

Fun fact the prosecutor Sir James Jaspers is the same in both.

Anyway Magneto was weird in the era of that comic, cause some writers wanted to continue with his heroic turn, while others wanted him to go back to villainy and acted like he still was one. Avengers vs X-Men was one of those that took a strange middle road.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I went back to read Uncanny 200 after the second episode aired and two things jumped out:

1) there's a barely qualifies as a subplot about Kitty Pryde being embarrassed that she needs glasses due to being nearsighted

2) the point of the trial is Magneto apparently pulled a Superman IV The Quest For Peace and tried to unilaterally impose nuclear disarmament on the world.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

2) the point of the trial is Magneto apparently pulled a Superman IV The Quest For Peace and tried to unilaterally impose nuclear disarmament on the world.

Yes, in Uncanny #150. It was the first Claremont comic I ever read. I liked it a lot.

Specifically, I rather like the ending a lot. I've never read comic Magneto and of course your writers will vary, but I was curious how he'd be presented: noble antagonist with a noble goal or does he in fact have a sort of selfish motive behind any of this? Is he doing all this truly for peace or is there an element of him which craves laadership and domination? At least in this comic, the answer is clearly the former, as established by the ending.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mllaneza posted:

BTAS talk always puts me in mind of the movie poster gallery some mad artist made,

https://imgur.com/gallery/1HArE

Wow. Part of me feels this is unnecessary since every episode already had beautiful title cards. But this is pretty great.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Holy poo poo this last episode. Cyclops is right.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Who hasn't been Gambit throwing cards into the fire

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Next X-men episode preview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs-XUbWP9EQ

Space stuff is coming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ALERT ALERT WE HAVE A VULCAN SIGHTING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-O posted:

ALERT ALERT WE HAVE A VULCAN SIGHTING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Reporter: I heard you were the only survivor of a plane crash and the last living Summers, Scott. Why did you lie?

Scott: Listen, my dad sort of abandoned me to become a space pirate, I don't know Havok is my little brother Alex and alive in this universe, and the fact I even have a third brother is entirely news to me, but he is apparently an all-powerful evil space warlord.

He is really having one helluva week, isn't he.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh yeah, Havok showed up in an episode, but it wasn't really ever addressed who the gently caress he was. It was just the government's team of mutants.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Finally got around to seeing eps 4 and 5.

Seeing Old Jubilee with the destructo discs and using her powers for movement much in the same way Cyclops did in the earlier episode just made me happy.

Episode 5:

drat it wtf

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I’m pretty clueless about X-men space stuff, so all gonna be raw new first time knowledge stuff for me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GateOfD posted:

I’m pretty clueless about X-men space stuff, so all gonna be raw new first time knowledge stuff for me

Oh, they have so much space stuff. You could easily do like four seasons of a show just covering their space adventures and ignoring the whole "mutant as a metaphor for discrimination" aspect.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Did you see TAS? It goes into some of it.

This dude rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAS17Vo0SlI

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I want an entire episode of untangling the Summers/Grey family tree with deep dives in Havok, Corsair, Vulcan and Cable. And then at the very end the bell rings at the mansion and it's Rachel followed by a cut to black.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

X-O posted:

I want an entire episode of untangling the Summers/Grey family tree with deep dives in Havok, Corsair, Vulcan and Cable. And then at the very end the bell rings at the mansion and it's Rachel followed by a cut to black.

Stryfe also gets a good five minutes of exposition but yes Rachel gets nothing.

Some people think Stryfe will be a big villain in '97. I don't see it but who knows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Stryfe also gets a good five minutes of exposition but yes Rachel gets nothing.

Some people think Stryfe will be a big villain in '97. I don't see it but who knows.

Seeing how the show so far is all about destroying Scott Pilgrim's Summers' Precious Little Life more and more every episode, I could definitely see as many Summers as possible appearing to make his world more and more confusing and bad.

X-O posted:

After the Jean reveal threw everything into madness, I'm sure Cyclops would yell "nobody better answer that goddamn door"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 16, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

This dude rules

Great now I need to go watch that Juggernaut fan dub again

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

This dude rules

Gladiator has a bad-rear end fight with Eric Masterson Thor during Galactic Storm. Read it as a kid, thought it was awesome, read it as an adult again, still holds up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Seeing how the show so far is all about destroying Scott Pilgrim's Summers' Precious Little Life more and more every episode, I could definitely see as many Summers as possible appearing to make his world more and more confusing and bad.

After the Jean reveal threw everything into madness, I'm sure Cyclops would yell "nobody better answer that goddamn door"

Opens it to see Rachel, just slams it in her face and nopes up the stairs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, Havok showed up in an episode, but it wasn't really ever addressed who the gently caress he was. It was just the government's team of mutants.

They remarked their blasts didn’t work on each other I think. Which was a thing with Black Tom and Banshee.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you ever get a chance, the original space adventures in the comics were loving wild and worth reading. You'd also never in a million years guess how M'kraan Crystal is spelled.

Of course, also a lot sloppier about starting stories, the original space mission in the comics where Jean Grey ends up turning into the Phoenix was some kind of trap by the the sentinels to bait the X-Men into a fight with robot copies of the original X-Men. One of my favorite adventures was is the sleazoid arc, which starts in medias res at a pretty crazy moment. One of the X-Men's last adventures before being discontinued in 1969 was the Z'nox invasion, which starts off with the professior randomly revealing that he had faked his death two years ago to prepare for this one story They fight off the invasion by Professor X and Jean harvesting the good will from the whole earth and channeling it into Havoc who channels it into Cyclops, who shoots a good vibes laser at the aliens while Iceman acts as a heatsink to keep Cyclops's head from melting and Beast and Angel fight off the other aliens. Good stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

This dude rules

Gladiator with the power of being Superman, but not as good a person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if something like the U Men could work in this series (to my knowledge their only appearance outside the comics was a video game and a 2011 anime miniseries)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also you could totally tell that the writers wanted to turn the Starjammers the original Space allies that included Scott’s dad into their own spinoff.

They were pretty much the prototype for the modern Guardians of the Galaxy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Greg Weisman has proven to be inconsistent when actually given a chance to continue years-old series of his cancelled prematurely.

I say we see 90s Spiderman find and rescue Mary Jane. It’s just too bad he can’t stay teamed up with Stan and Joan Lee now.

This is an old post but I recently discovered the original creator of the 90's show released a script for the scrapped sixth season premiere back in 2016 (and published as a book 2 years later) that would have at least closed out a few plot threads from where the series stopped:

https://spiderman-animated.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Finds_Mary_Jane

Somebody even got some of the old VAs back to record a promo for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSih2FRYBk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

This is an old post but I recently discovered the original creator of the 90's show released a script for the scrapped sixth season premiere back in 2016 (and published as a book 2 years later) that would have at least closed out a few plot threads from where the series stopped:

https://spiderman-animated.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Finds_Mary_Jane

Somebody even got some of the old VAs back to record a promo for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSih2FRYBk

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. With my fancy new Disney+ subscription maybe it's time for a Spiderman TAS rewatch. Truth be told, I'd rather do it than X-Men TAS rewatch. I don't care about animation or censored fight scenes, I just remember Spidey had way better writing and characters and everything. I think this shows what commitment the writer for the show had. No wonder it was so great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gladiator rules, especially the way his power works. He's stronger the more confident he is, so if you get him doubting his goals or his skills he becomes beatable. I dunno why I like that so much but I do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Xavier’s finally back so I guess they’re not retconning that particular plot point after all just as I figured

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. With my fancy new Disney+ subscription maybe it's time for a Spiderman TAS rewatch. Truth be told, I'd rather do it than X-Men TAS rewatch. I don't care about animation or censored fight scenes, I just remember Spidey had way better writing and characters and everything. I think this shows what commitment the writer for the show had. No wonder it was so great.

I love that clip of Dr. Octopus’ arms smashing a bunch of boxes. I used to cheer whenever it showed up when I was a kid watching on Saturday morning. If people can’t be charmed by stuff like that, they’re no fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

An X-Men ‘97 movie is apparently a possibility if there’s enough fan demand:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/marvel-x-men-97-animated-movie-directors-marvel-studios/

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
so weird to see Xavier just doing like regular non-mutant related stuff. Everything he's been in for media was just that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No. Just another season

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I think the voice actor for Xavier is really bad

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nothing was going to look good having to follow last week’s episode, but drat, what a flat and boring bunch of nonsense. Following up on hugely impactful events and all the pressing questions still lingering unanswered? Nah, sounds dumb, let’s mutantsplain colonialism to space birds instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I think the voice actor for Xavier is really bad

Definitely not enough yelling when he got that psychic vision to match the original show...

CapnAndy posted:

Nothing was going to look good having to follow last week’s episode, but drat, what a flat and boring bunch of nonsense. Following up on hugely impactful events and all the pressing questions still lingering unanswered? Nah, sounds dumb, let’s mutantsplain colonialism to space birds instead.

I felt like the colonialism talk was really weird, not just because the Shi'ar are probably familiar with the concept (and just don't give a gently caress), but it seems kinda... basic? I don't know how to explain it, it seems like it's very blunt. The X-Men have always dealt in metaphors what with being walking metaphors, but for now gently caress subtlety, it's time for Chuck to turn his chair around and explain to the kids very blatantly that colonialism is bad actually. And in the very same episode where Forge and Storm kind of touch on it but subtext is for cowards.

And I guess the counter-arguments would be that it's a kids show and it's fine to be blunt, or that unfortunately there's a bunch of real rear end people in our world that don't get it either, but to those I'd say that a.) c'mon, we just did a genocide last episode, it's not that kiddy and b.) if those people don't already get it, they're sure as hell not gonna get it from fuckin' cartoon Professor X.

Anyway setting all that aside: I get that they're going with Sinister's portrayal from the original cartoon, but now after reading comics I know he's both English and (for the past few years in comics) catty as hell, so his bland generic evil voice just does not match what I've had in my head.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 18, 2024