Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone read the recent NOFX book? It's supposed to be really good, was just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:rip: d boon

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Punk is dead. It died in 1981.
Metal is dead. It died in 1991.
Rock is dead. It died in 1998.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEc9nXErU-Y

Hip Hop is the new king.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

monkey posted:

Something weird is happen... I stopped playing it years ago but clicked the bookmark for it the other day... at the login screen, the username field had a few names pop up on autocomplete and "Mumpy Puffins" was one of them. *shrug* I don't know what is going on. Somebody is eating my cookies or something.

who is stealing the name that ralp changed from pumpy muffinz? ill kill em!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Aaron Cometbus is still loving awesome tho, probably

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the only punk I still listen to is the Dead Kennedys

welp cya

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Punk died in 1983 when Lee Ving reduced its ethos to 7 words:

I don't care about you.
gently caress you!

There was really nothing left to say after that, and even Gang of Four packed it in and followed The Jam into pastel suits and click-track discotheque hell.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Punker99 is dead

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

VikingSkull posted:

the only punk I still listen to is the Dead Kennedys

welp cya

What about Minor Threat or Bad Brains or Black Flag?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Nooner posted:

they are making an SLC punk #2 lolololololol talk about posers

wtf? why? That movie is a masterpiece and was very inspiring to me as a young punk.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No one talks about Rancid but they probably have some of the best lyrics.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Henry Rollins is a hollywood star.
Punks are extinct.

Laura Jane Grace proves you wrong.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah but they're also responsible for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlB9KnwCvvk

so gently caress them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Strange Aeon posted:

Rancid rule. I always liked how Tim was the poster boy, then you see them live and Lars is doing 90% of the work and Tim probably isn't even playing the right song.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rancid rule. I always liked how Tim was the poster boy, then you see them live and Lars is doing 90% of the work and Tim probably isn't even playing the right song.
can you match up these names to what instrument they played? i have no idea who you're talking about with just these names.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Certainly. Tim is the one with the Mohawk who sings and plays guitar while Lars is the one with the spiked hair who sings and plays guitar.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Punk is subjective

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is punk rap possible?

I mean ratm had three great albums and had punk going through it but the closest to 'punk rap' now is death grips who are total shite and make me want to projectile vomit when I hear them

also clipping but one of them wrote Hamilton or some poo poo

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The good news is that if you missed Rage Against the Machine & Public Enemy, they're back as the supergroup Prophets of Rage.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Certainly. Tim is the one with the Mohawk who sings and plays guitar while Lars is the one with the spiked hair who sings and plays guitar.

Lars played bass guitar and started his own group after Rancid folded, and I guess they are okay.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bill NYSE posted:

Lars played bass guitar and started his own group after Rancid folded, and I guess they are okay.

Lars and the Bastards have a great first album and a horrible second.

I still love the Rancid song about Operation Ivy; 'there wasn't always a place to go, but there was always an urgent need to belong'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rancid are still going, and Matt Freeman has always played bass for them. Always loved that Maxwell Murder solo. The only non original member is the drummer which is quite impressive given how long they've been going for, and punk bands turn over members like wildfire.

Only listened to Lars F and the Bastards a bit, and they seemed fine too. Never known him to play bass in anything.

..And Out Come The Wolves is such an amazing record though, it's just non stop rad songs from start to end. They must've known them that there was no way they were going to top it.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has anyone read the recent NOFX book? It's supposed to be really good, was just curious.

It's very good, I couldn't put it down. They're all interesting story tellers.

PS: New Blink 182 album is also real drat good, pop punk though i dont know if that counts for this masturbation thread

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blink gets a pass from me because their first two records were ace, then when they put out their megaselling record it still had decent songs and everything that came out afterwards like Taking Back Sunday was pure garbage, so it looked great in comparison.

Fun fact: everyone you meet in the UK still calls them Blink 1-8-2.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I'm wearing a Flag shirt and walking my dog when 3 little skate kids start going in circles around me and the littlest one is all like "poo poo did you see Black Flag play?!" and I was all like "no they broke up when I was your age but I've seen Rollins a couple times".

And it was like saying I saw God or something, they were all just stoked and so happy to see a grown up that listened to "their" music.

Not dead so long as lil bros will keep it alive.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

:eyepop::fh:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EL BROMANCE posted:

..And Out Come The Wolves is such an amazing record though, it's just non stop rad songs from start to end. They must've known them that there was no way they were going to top it.

Is that why every song they've written since then is basically a guided tour of the East Bay?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jeez remember the Transplants? That horrible rapper with the boring rhymes and awful same intonation on every song? They had THREE albums, not just the one with Diamonds and Guns.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

physeter posted:

Not dead so long as lil bros will keep it alive.

This. Lil bros are the future.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Listened to propagandhi this morning on the way to my boring public sector job, felt loving good man

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Listened to propagandhi this morning on the way to my boring public sector job, felt loving good man

They had some nice imagery beneath all the self righteousness; 'we strive for something more than a faded sticker on a skateboard'.

Didn't the one guy start the Weakerthans?

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Greenday, Offspring, they are good bands.

roffel

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

You'll start wearing blue and brown and working for the clampdown

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
p sure avril lavigne is still making music and keeping punk alive and well OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
It's the UK's biggest punk festival in Blackpool this weekend if you really want to see that punk isn't dead go to that.....

You'll also realise it probably should be dead whilst your there.

• Locked thread