Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I really enjoy seeing videos about drones and am always amazed when I see people racing them. I've bought my son a drone or two from Toys R Us and they either don't fly very well or are amazingly hard to control. I just chalked this up to it being a cheaper version of a "real" drone. Recently I saw a goon post an interesting YouTube on how to build your own but boy did it seem very complicated. Soldering seemed difficult and the parts weren't available from the same online stores so wasn't sure if there was a goto store for this kind of stuff. Can you buy a good pre built quality drone? Racing drone? First time beginner drone? Any good build-it-yourself drones for noobs like me? Magazines on the sport? Best way to learn?

Tell me about anything drone related that would help interested goons learn about this very neat sport.

(I looked on my iPhone to see if there was other ask/tell threads on this that were recent and didn't see any. My apologies if there is one already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Heres the DIY/Hobbies thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

FPV in general is awesome. do that

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The $40 pre-built bird you bought from Amazon will not fly for poo poo. I'd expect a decent drone kit to start in the $400 range.

If you're looking for video, look for a (used) DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It was the first version with stabilized video. I'd expect (used) they'd be in the $400 range by now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

photomikey posted:

The $40 pre-built bird you bought from Amazon will not fly for poo poo. I'd expect a decent drone kit to start in the $400 range.

If you're looking for video, look for a (used) DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It was the first version with stabilized video. I'd expect (used) they'd be in the $400 range by now.
Hubsan H107C (camera), Hubsan H107L (no camera), Syma X5C are all around $40 and fly pretty nicely. Stable, maneuver decently even in fairly gusty wind, very resilient, and are a great introduction to drones.

If you are a beginner I'd get one of those to start with. Then you can decide whether you want to go the fpv racer route or the more phantomy route.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 26, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Khorne posted:

Hubsan H107C (camera), Hubsan H107L (no camera), Syma X5C are all around $40 and fly pretty nicely. Stable, maneuver decently even in fairly gusty wind, very resilient, and are a great introduction to drones.

If you are a beginner I'd get one of those to start with. Then you can decide whether you want to go the fpv racer route or the more phantomy route.

Thanks for that recommendation. I've been fancying trying one of these, but not willing to fork out £200+

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

spog posted:

Thanks for that recommendation. I've been fancying trying one of these, but not willing to fork out £200+

I see the 5c and 5c-1. Any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tony Homo posted:

I see the 5c and 5c-1. Any difference?
They both have identical parts so unless there is a large price gap I'd go for the x5c-1.

• Locked thread