Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated
I have been playing the game for the past few days with some goons and thought I would see if anyone else has hosed with it.

official copy:

warz devs posted:

Shattered Skies is a massive persistent open world shooter featuring full loot drop, ruthless PVP and dynamic objectives with support for large scale group vs group skirmishes. Gain experience and level up your character to be able to use better weapons and crafting recipes. Explore the world to find epic loot and character cosmetic items, trade with NPCs as well as other players. Secure your loot in the safety of the Global Vault, accessible at specific non combat zones on the map. Dominate the world of Shattered Skies with your friends!

available on steam for cheapish

Dude, run thats a fukn aliens!

Main Points in Favor
:tinfoil:Killin aliens
User-friendly inventory system in comparison to DayZ
Seamless transitions from 1st to 3rd person perspective
Survival game mechanics not primary
Legit PVE and PVP
Enough gear lying around to die and not worry too much about it
Global bank for keeping things away from the bangers
Zero tolerance for hax, permabans, and proprietary anti-cheat that works
Dynamic events like parachuting supply drops keep players moving around the map
Smallish map means you run into people
Reactor runs are an intense group PVE/PVP scenario
Content drops are adding things every week

Main Points Against
Unoptimized = extended loading time to connect to a server
Difference between a fully-geared level 50 player and level 1 is real
90% of player interactions are KoS
May not be enough endgame to keep me interested
Level-locked equipment

Here's a shot of the first-person and HUD (this mf needs to eat):

The map is not huge, but you can walk right past someone and miss them. You can silently sneak up on innocents and hide in tall grass for vicious ambushes. Spawning options are myriad and you can spawn on your group members. Getting geared up is a usually just a matter of looting one or two low-key map locations.

Armor is serious. If you are a level 1 using a normal-rear end AR (Damage ratio 100%) and I have reactor armor (which is crazy expensive and reduces damage by half), it could take you 14-20 body shots or 7-10 head shots to kill me with the normal HP ammo at optimum range. Watch this gameplay video where a dude with a crazy-good sniper rifle shoots people over and over. The range really matters and damage drops exponentially the farther you are away, so it could take an entire 30 round magazine on target to kill me.

Bullets come in three flavors, AP, FMJ and HP (there are equivalents for shells... flechette, slug and buck). Armor piercing ammo is extremely useful for killing players and getting through alien carapaces while Hollow Points are crazy against unarmored targets. FMJ is a compromise jack-of-all-kills bullet that will degrade the victim's armor with each successful hit and do good damage.

Going back to that reactor armor example above, if your level 1 character had an AK-12 (47) with AP ammo and you fired three or four at me, the reactor armor would be mostly gone. Quick-switching to a pistol or SMG with HP ammo could result in a >10 shot kill whereas it was taking you 30+ before with just HP.

I just found this and I could be persuaded to trade it... legendary weapons don't drop on your corpse when you die and can be repaired up to 15 times... meaning you will have them for a while and you don't lose them when you get geeked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Isn't this The War-Z/Infestation Survival Stories/Romero's Aftermath?

franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Isn't this The War-Z/Infestation Survival Stories/Romero's Aftermath?

More or less, yes. Same Bolshevik dev, but better than the sum of its parts. Remember, its aliens not zombies.

:rolleyes:

What I have found entertaining is the player interactions that the smallish map and dynamic events lead to. In the beginning for me all interactions were more or less KoS, but people don't want to murder bambis in general - not fun or profitable. If you stealth a high level player and surprise them, you stand a good chance of killing up 20-30 levels.

• Locked thread