Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Starting sometime last week, I noticed Imgur started having massive problems loading for me at work. Most of the time it times out (both the site and any image hosted there.) Occasionally I can see a hosted image, or try to load the main page and the background, menus, etc.. will load then it will time out trying to get the hosted images.

It happens in multiple browsers and devices. I've tried Chrome and Edge in my main Win 10 machine (ethernet and wifi), Safari on a Mac, and my phone on the wifi. All time out.

It's not our content filter. We use OpenDNS and when you go a page that it filters, you get an OpenDNS page that says it's blocked and why. Imgur just times out. I also logged into our OpenDNS admin page and it's not listed there as an added URL or anything.

Here's a screenshot of what the main page sometimes looks like: http://imgur.com/oyqPzAz.png

I did a packet capture with WireShark, but my networking skills aren't great enough to actually decode what's going on. I am a domain admin at work, though, and have access to our firewall, switches, servers, etc... so I can make changes if needed. If all else fails I can just go to our internal network admin, but I'd rather do it myself so I can hopefully learn why it's having problems and build up my skills. But it always a last resort option, it's not like he'll care I go to Imgur. I"m just trying to figure out if it is something on our network, or maybe with our ISP, or if it's Imgur itself having issues (though I haven't noticed anyone here at SA or on Reddit complaining about Imgur lately, so I don't think it's an Imgur issue.)

As far as I can tell, that's the only site that I've been having problems with.

Here's the link to the Wireshark capture from yesterday when it wasn't working: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11044692/ImgurPacket.pcapng
Most of it is just from me going to the homepage, and then obviously the last few lines are just trying a ping.
And here's one I took when it was working: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11044692/ImgurPacket2.pcapng

If anyone wants it exported to another format, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd open up cmd prompt when the issue is happening and type tracert imgur.com and paste what it says.

Also, you could use your 3G/4G/LTE connection on the phone concurrently to see if imgur loads okay when it's not working at work.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I am a domain admin at work, though, and have access to our firewall, switches, servers, etc... so I can make changes if needed.

If the tracert looks okay while imgur isn't loading you could try plugging a device into the network at its least secure point (modem perhaps) before it's routed through firewalls/routers/switches. See if it behaves differently. That would narrow the issue further.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zogo posted:

I'd open up cmd prompt when the issue is happening and type tracert imgur.com and paste what it says.

It attempts 1 hop, our core switch IP, then everything after that times out. After the core switch is the firewall, so I'm assuming that's the problem.

I ran a traceroute from the switch and it times out entirely.

Time to look over the firewall, I guess.

• Locked thread