Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Problem description: I recently moved to San Antonio and got Time Warner Cable as my ISP. I noticed while playing a video game that my ping would vary between 75ms and ~300ms. Trace routes and pings result in varying pings.

Attempted fixes: Googled the issue and Quality of Service came up as a possible solution. I found this suggestion. It seemed to work at first (played for about 30 minutes with a very steady ping of 75-80ms. However my ping reverted back to 75-300ms. Tried plugging in an old router to the combined modem/router that TWC provided and it didn't alleviate the issue (though it did seem to take a while to establish a connection). I then went into Command Prompt and did trace routes and pings on various website url's and had varying results Pastebin.

Recent changes: Haven't reverted the Powershell script.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Lenovo y410p. Modem/router: Technicolor TC8751D.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Is this problem something beyond my control (TWC being lovely)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Do NOT run 2 routers behind each other, you're going to cause massive issues. QoS won't matter because QoS needs to be ahered to from end-to-end, so once it leaves your LAN it stops have any effect.

Do you have other PCs/devices on your network? If yes, do they all experience issues at the same time?

My best guess is that it's an issue you're going to need to solve with your ISP, but there are a few things we might be able to do to rule out before you spend hours on the phone with TWC support.

Do you live in a house or apartment?

Do you have a coax splitter installed somewhere? Replace it with a new one.

Are there any coax lines you can replace? Replace them with new ones.

I don't know how TWC operates, but the way comcast looks at it: Any wiring from the box (where the line from the pole/stack hits your house/building) is your responsibility, anything before that is theres, also obviously, if you're renting a modem/router from them that's their responsibility as well.

I'm somewhat surprised that IPv6 is turned on for your modem/router as well, I don't believe I've seen that be a default for any ISP yet.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 28, 2016

• Locked thread