Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Highwang posted:

If anything, I would harken all the plot issues discussed to a matter of this being a studio's first project. I personally enjoyed the story and the way it ended, but the plot holes do bring up an issue of just things slipping through the cracks due to both a small staff and relying mainly on kickstarter funding. Small mistakes like that just arise in development, and without the manpower or publisher overhead to provide a 2nd view you have weird writing hitchups like this.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. The game is great and the background narrative works pretty well (the consistency of its atmosphere is just stellar imo). They might not deliver the ship 100% to the port with the ending, but overall it is very good. By the way, thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That was a cute way to say goodbye, Wang. Really liked the LP.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe I'm giving way too much leeway but collecting all those "trophies" from the champion bosses sure aren't things a normal person would keep, but you throw it into the trinket box anyway. Ditto for the other ancestor items which you acquire a nonzero amount of.

I figure the whole situation is that the hamlet itself is part of the operation. It justifies sending all these people to the meatgrinder or slaughtering all the enemies "in on it". It doesn't matter who dies, but it must happen The journey into the darkest dungeon itself seems like some kind of c-section where success means you kill it, failure means it's just a quick step away. After all if violence helps it reach maturity, why wouldn't killing the preceding enemies contribute to it (intent does not contradict the ancestor's own swath of murder/violence). But that's just my casual take on it.

Thanks for the LP Highwang, your optimism is icing on the general quality of your LP content.

EDIT: Sorry I just remembered that you can still enter the darkest dungeon without clearing out the bosses, so I guess that puts a dent in that theory....

blankd fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 18, 2017

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, regarding the ending, isn't this pretty much what Earth is in in Hellboy?

Edit: Thanks for a great LP, Highwang! I don't think I've ever heard a more suffering co-commentator though.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 18, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Thank you so much for showing off this wonderful game, Highwang. It was a real treat to watch.

Also, uh... loon, you okay there, buddy?'

You're not looking so hot.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm honestly still kinda disappointing that you ended up using Kaboom Dragoon.

And you didn't even feed him to the Heart as an apology!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Donkringel posted:

Does anyone have the unique dialogue for all the characters?

I checked the wiki out of curiosity, and it has everyone but the antiquarian and musketeer.

Abomination: Whatever awaits, it cannot be worse than what I've endured.
Arbalest: Please no, I want to live!
Bounty Hunter: ...hm.
Crusader: Unholy foulness! I will take you with me!
Grave Robber: A proper lady does not volunteer herself for slaughter!
Hellion: Send me to hell then! AAAKLYORAAAHHH!
Highwayman: No way out, hmph. Let's do this.
Houndmaster: Steady, girl. If we're called, we answer.
Jester: Hah! The jokes's on me then...?
Leper: Spare the others, I am ready.
Man-At-Arms: I go with a clear conscience. I've given my all.
Occultist: Finally, the face of my tormentor. Come, then.
Plague Doctor: Not me! I am a learned scholar!
Vestal: I-it's too horrible! Noooo!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Not all the way through the final video yet, but I just have to love the juxtaposition of the game expositing at you and Highwang accidentally making it into a joke.

The Gestating Heart becomes the Heart of Darkness, and the Ancestor speaks: "Behold, the heart of the world! Progenitor of life! Father and mother, alpha and omega, our creator...and our destroyer."

Pea's response? "TIME FOR A LUTE SOLO POWER SLIDE TO THE FRONT YEAAAAAAAAAH"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

vdate posted:

Not all the way through the final video yet, but I just have to love the juxtaposition of the game expositing at you and Highwang accidentally making it into a joke.

The Gestating Heart becomes the Heart of Darkness, and the Ancestor speaks: "Behold, the heart of the world! Progenitor of life! Father and mother, alpha and omega, our creator...and our destroyer."

Pea's response? "TIME FOR A LUTE SOLO POWER SLIDE TO THE FRONT YEAAAAAAAAAH"

There's no way to keep the same atmosphere in a post-commentated LP, but when I got to that part the first time, that was very high on the "holy poo poo" moments.

Narration is just so goooooood.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

double nine posted:

There's no way to keep the same atmosphere in a post-commentated LP, but when I got to that part the first time, that was very high on the "holy poo poo" moments.

Narration is just so goooooood.

That and the fact that once the heart reveals the music kicks into its overdrive, all-instruments-on-deck "boss fight" version, as opposed to the half-muted version that plays during the ancestor fight.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Well, because I don't know quite how long this might take, and I wanna make sure there's one more art in here, even one that's only a sketch rn, I give you (Spoilered for implied gross, which would technically make it NSFW), the Party Boy WIP.

Pencil (Head)

Flats/Shadows (Head)

Yes, that's an exposed brain. Yes, those are cuts. Yes, that is indeed goo and assorted organs that should not be growing out of his mouth, and he's fuckin' stoked about that.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It would seem that I discovered this LP just as it's just over and am now looking forward to watching a backlog of pretty much everything yaay :neckbeard:

But I'll say this, the town music reminds me a lot of Opeth's "In my time of need", especially near the end, so if you diggin on that you may also enjoy some Opeth. :cheers:

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 18, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sylphosaurus posted:

Well, regarding the ending, isn't this pretty much what Earth is in in Hellboy?

Are you referring to the Ogdru Jahad? Because while it does have a connection to earth, it's trapped in space. And while its goal is to replace humanity, or maybe just destroy it, it isn't responsible for all life on the planet.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for running us through the Darkest Dungeon, Highwang! It's been quite a trip. I hope you'll show off the DLC when it arrives, and also show off at least one or two of the more... esoteric party requests you've received over the course of this thread.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You are.

It's implied you're the ghost in the opening cinematic, and there's a relic in the Stygian tutorial where you try to warn Dismas or Reynauld. You just instantly give them 100 stress.

My first New Game+ I had Reynauld interact with the ghost, and he promptly virtue'd of it, which had me laughing my rear end off. Sometimes these profusions of knight-errant flesh throw the endless cycle for a real loop.

As a few have commented, completing the game is an incredibly satisfying experience, and although the ending may at first leave you a bit ambivalent I definitely like it. It's appropriately lovecraftian in a truer sense of the word than many supposedly mythos-themed games. There's sadly no stinger or additional rewards for completing the New Game+ mode, and while I feel there's a missed opportunity there, Red Hook is clearly not done with the game. Indeed, the stinger may be coming with the Crimson Court DLC... mosquito boss

Hunt11 posted:

Time to finally post a video showing how you can cheese even the final boss of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsTZtH8308

Fun fact: Using a Leper and 3x plague doctors may be one way to go about it, but there's a far easier way to avoid having the heart horribly consume two of your heroes.

It's getting the useless saps killed earlier in the fight. :eng101:

(Which is how I won my first darkest dungeon without even knowing about the Heart's rather excellent and terrifying gimmick.)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Got a neat little piece of art from JamieTheD showing off our wonderful party boys.

Warning: NSFW due to body horror http://i.imgur.com/L54jZWN.jpg

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

White Coke posted:

Are you referring to the Ogdru Jahad? Because while it does have a connection to earth, it's trapped in space. And while its goal is to replace humanity, or maybe just destroy it, it isn't responsible for all life on the planet.

Come to think of it, this is basically the backstory of Xenogears.

Although probably more relevant to this game is that Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness has the revelation that Earth was formerly populated by a highly intelligent race of Elder Things that conducted all sorts of biological experiments, and that all the present life on the planet (humanity included) evolved from those experiments.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Great job, Highwang. I just looked back on all the updates and this was a hell of a lot of work.

I have experienced so much vicarious hate towards you from so many people for your incredible luck that I'm afraid if I see you on the street I might shout obscenities at you rather than thank you. So if that happens, it's not a crazy person, it's me thanking you for this cool LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just watched your closing thoughts video. I feel like the fatigue you and Chitlin suffered is just endemic of LPs of longer games. It seems to be a common issue, at least.

I know at some point in the LP you mentioned you were planning on doing an LP of Hollow Knight at some point. Looking forward to that if it's still going on; I've been playing through it recently myself and holy poo poo it's one of the best metroidvania games I've ever played.

• Locked thread